Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

A Review For Painfully Bad Fan Fiction

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: A Review For Painfully Bad Fan Fiction
Post by pappilon   » Mon May 14, 2018 1:42 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

The E wrote:
Daryl wrote:You folks who are more literate than I am might want to help Whitehead with his current project posted on here.
This is about his sixth attempt in creating a world, usually steam punk. Going from his comment his grammar has improved over time, initially it was quite difficult to follow.

No. Not until he shows an actual ability to actually sit down and write for more than the few minutes it takes to type up a forum post here. It seems to me (and this is a lesson for aspiring authors) that he's quite hung up on the idea that he needs a completely formed world before he starts thinking about the story.

Worldbuilding is fun. It's necessary, even when you're telling a story in mundane reality or when writing fanfic set in someone else's universe (where "Worldbuilding" means figuring out who your characters are, what situations they're in, and how they got there). But all worldbuilding is meaningless if you don't have a story to tell (unless you're writing a D&D supplement, of course); ideally, the world you're creating should be more than just a backdrop or an excuse to have something cool happen.

Yes, certainly. Write something. Come on th board with "hey guys anyone interested in being my Beta?" Or hay guys anyone interested in being my research assistant? Be upfront with your wants and needs.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Senior Chief   » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:13 pm

Senior Chief
Commander

Annachie wrote:Bulwer-Lytton fiction contest.

Basically an award for really long run on sentences.

James Mitchner is really bad about run on sentences that are nearly a full page long. The Source or South Pacific comes to mind...

On the other hand, I opened a box of books for the first time in nearly 50 years, my complete set of Doc Savage. I could not even finish the first couple of chapters... They are terrible!!!
Post by Imaginos1892   » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:25 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

I hear ya!

I downloaded the Barsoom books by Edgar Rice Burroughs from Project Gutenberg, read a few, and all I could think was, 'These things are so bad they're almost good!'

I probably should have read them when I was younger. Like about 9. Nostalgia can cover up an awful lot of awful.

I still enjoy the Lensman books, and the two Subspace books by E. E. Smith. Maybe because I did read them when I was younger.
Post by chuckpeterson   » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:12 pm

chuckpeterson
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I have come across your site not even knowing what it's purpose was. Now that I have finally been able to log on it is clear I do not belong here.

Having said that, many people believe the "bible" is just fiction, so maybe talking about the bible would fit in.

And let me note, creating a forum covering this topic may generate responses from others that may increase interest within your followers giving them something else to chat about.

The fiction title for the forum would be "God's Chosen, then and now"

If you do not allow it then that is the end of it.

What say you?
Post by Daryl   » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:50 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

As a signed in member you can create a topic on it's own. Then it's up to others whether they contribute to it or not.
We have had some discussions on religion on here before. Usually fairly pointless as the pro side argue faith, and the anti side argue with facts and logic. So no meeting of minds or conclusion.
chuckpeterson wrote:I have come across your site not even knowing what it's purpose was. Now that I have finally been able to log on it is clear I do not belong here.

Having said that, many people believe the "bible" is just fiction, so maybe talking about the bible would fit in.

And let me note, creating a forum covering this topic may generate responses from others that may increase interest within your followers giving them something else to chat about.

What say you?
Post by cthia   » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:40 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

chuckpeterson wrote:I have come across your site not even knowing what it's purpose was. Now that I have finally been able to log on it is clear I do not belong here.

What say you?

Welcome Chuck,

I agree with you. There should be some place on the forum to discuss religion. There isn't. And alas, it is frowned upon here. This is listed as the Free Range section. So I guess religion is not free, except it is, but oftentimes comes with a terrible earthly cost in the form of Religious Persecution. A true believer knows that the cost is not terrible, but good.

"Mankind fears what he does not understand," has long been a phrase attributed to humanity. Nowhere else does that sentiment become more obvious than when the subject of God appears.*

I created a thread once upon a time ago and it was killed. Click on GOD EXISTS. When it was killed some people objected to the insanity and blatant unfairness of it.

It is sad, especially since the author himself is a believer. But what can one do? Except prey for those who do not understand that the fight is against Powers and Principalities. They are lost.

Daryl, it is untrue that I did not argue fact. I did argue fact. And logic. Reread the thread.

When any subject regarding God appears, people go into a frenzy. What will they do when the Deity himself returns?

I asked a question. . . "If you had a choice, would you choose for God to exist. IOW, do you want there to be a God?"

Not a single person responded. I'm sure you find that interesting too Chuck.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by The E   » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:56 am

The E
Admiral

you guys seriously need to get better at not getting dragged off-topic this hard.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:13 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Oh, wait — maybe they're saying that The Bible is an example of Painfully Bad Fan Fiction?
———————————
Always, ALWAYS have a Plan O — for Oh Shit!
Post by Michael Everett   » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:33 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:Oh, wait — maybe they're saying that The Bible is an example of Painfully Bad Fan Fiction?

Well, they don't seem to have re-issued it in the original Aramaic direct from the scrolls before the translators got their mitts on it and subjected it to their own preconceptions, so...

...several hundred chapters are missing, too...

Who else knew that Fifty Shades of Grey started out as a Twilight Fanfic? (Man, do I wish I was kidding about that...)
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by edgeworthy   » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:18 pm

edgeworthy
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Michael Everett wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:Oh, wait — maybe they're saying that The Bible is an example of Painfully Bad Fan Fiction?

Well, they don't seem to have re-issued it in the original Aramaic direct from the scrolls before the translators got their mitts on it and subjected it to their own preconceptions, so...

...several hundred chapters are missing, too...

Who else knew that Fifty Shades of Grey started out as a Twilight Fanfic? (Man, do I wish I was kidding about that...)

Unfortunately some of us did already know about the 50 Shades/ Twilight connection!

Which Sign of the Apocalypse is that?

Return to Free-Range Topics...