Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 32 guests

Solarian Cruisers (SPOILER)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Solarian Cruisers (SPOILER)
Post by Maldorian   » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:31 am

Maldorian
Captain (Junior Grade)

Does the Solarian League only have Battlecruisers and Destroyers?

I don´t remember any light or heavy cruisers on the side of the solarians, so, does they have such ships and does they use them?

My latest book is the first half of "Shadow of Victory", second half will come in german translation in september.
Last edited by Maldorian on Tue May 08, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Solarian Cruisers
Post by pappilon   » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:11 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Maldorian wrote:Does the Solarian League only have Battlecruisers and Destroyers?

I don´t remember any light or heavy cruisers on the side of the solarians, so, does they have such ships and does they use them?

My latest book is the first half of "Shadow of Victory", second half will come in german translation in september.

I seem to recall that a certain number were captured or destroyed with Crandall's and Filareta's fleets (A Rising Thunder) but that mostly FF has the smaller hulls. More hulls can be in more places at once, and FF does most of the anti-piracy and rescue stuff. The smaller hulls in BF are screening (anti-missile defense) roles.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Potato   » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:12 am

Potato
Captain of the List

There are plenty of instances of CLs and CAs being mentioned. From the top of my head, Rozsak's flotilla in CoS had a Morrigan-class as his flagship, and Oversteegan fought 4 Gladiators with his Saganami-B Gauntlet.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:07 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Potato wrote:There are plenty of instances of CLs and CAs being mentioned. From the top of my head, Rozsak's flotilla in CoS had a Morrigan-class as his flagship, and Oversteegan fought 4 Gladiators with his Saganami-B Gauntlet.

IIRC, Capt Zavala destroyed four FF Heavy cruisers in Saltash.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Dauntless   » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:17 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:IIRC, Capt Zavala destroyed four FF Heavy cruisers in Saltash.

battlecruisers and destroyers @ saltash.

there have been mentions of else where. I believe the ship in charge of the supression at mobius was a CL.

as others have said CAs have been seen at Tiberiun

and Rozark has various ships classes but offical was assinged nothing then a CL as he was never quite trusted. something about leaving BF for FF i suspect.

of course then he new CL's built that were heavier then the SL's CAs
Post by saber964   » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:48 pm

saber964
Admiral

Potato wrote:There are plenty of instances of CLs and CAs being mentioned. From the top of my head, Rozsak's flotilla in CoS had a Morrigan-class as his flagship, and Oversteegan fought 4 Gladiators with his Saganami-B Gauntlet.

You can also add the Mikasa class CA
Post by Theemile   » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:10 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

SLN classes so far mentioned in text:

DD
. War Harvest
. Rampart
CL
. Liberty (retired)
. Morrigan
. Bridgeport
CA
. Gladiator
. Kutuzov
. Mikasa
BC
. Indefatigable
. Nevada
SD
. Scientist
. Vega

The original Poster is correct, we have seen more CLs and DD and BCs than CAs.

I posted awhile back that the reason for this may be the lack of pirates in the SL, and the massive network of bases inside the SL.

To start, what is the CA used for (during peace)? Long range patrols, Showing the Flag, Pirate Swatting, and Political Message sending, and "forest" fighting. The SL doesn't do long range patrols, since it has a large system of bases, and doesn't swat many pirates, so that too is off the board. Short range patrols can be done equally well by smaller ships, as well as some political message sending, and if the Fires do break out - a BC sends a better political message and fights fires better.

In addition, in SoV, the admiral opposing Scotty ponders on the Sag-C Scotty has and realizes that it is "philosophically" the RMN's equivalent of the SLN BC - built in huge numbers and powerful enough to deal with issues as it patrols, and assigned to experienced skippers who know what they are doing.

So, in short, the SLN isn't building many CAs because it doesn't have a job for them.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by pappilon   » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:08 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Theemile wrote:SLN classes so far mentioned in text:

DD
. War Harvest
. Rampart
CL
. Liberty (retired)
. Morrigan
. Bridgeport
CA
. Gladiator
. Kutuzov
. Mikasa
BC
. Indefatigable
. Nevada
SD
. Scientist
. Vega

I posted awhile back that the reason for this may be the lack of pirates in the SL, and the massive network of bases inside the SL.

To start, what is the CA used for (during peace)? Long range patrols, Showing the Flag, Pirate Swatting, and Political Message sending, and "forest" fighting. The SL doesn't do long range patrols, since it has a large system of bases, and doesn't swat many pirates, so that too is off the board. Short range patrols can be done equally well by smaller ships, as well as some political message sending, and if the Fires do break out - a BC sends a better political message and fights fires better.

In addition, in SoV, the admiral opposing Scotty ponders on the Sag-C Scotty has and realizes that it is "philosophically" the RMN's equivalent of the SLN BC - built in huge numbers and powerful enough to deal with issues as it patrols, and assigned to experienced skippers who know what they are doing.

So, in short, the SLN isn't building many CAs because it doesn't have a job for them.

Battle fleet uses them for screening, Frontier fleet uses them more as the flag for a detachment of a CA or Cl and a few DDs. FF does swat the occasional pirate in the verge and the fringe, also has to support OFS in squashing the rabble-rousers who don't know their own place.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Relax   » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:46 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Maldorian wrote:Does the Solarian League only have Battlecruisers and Destroyers?

Service of the Sword. SAG-B heavy cruiser killed 4 SLN CA's crewed by pirates.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Theemile   » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:55 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:
Theemile wrote:SLN classes so far mentioned in text:

DD
. War Harvest
. Rampart
CL
. Liberty (retired)
. Morrigan
. Bridgeport
CA
. Gladiator
. Kutuzov
. Mikasa
BC
. Indefatigable
. Nevada
SD
. Scientist
. Vega

Battle fleet uses them for screening, Frontier fleet uses them more as the flag for a detachment of a CA or Cl and a few DDs. FF does swat the occasional pirate in the verge and the fringe, also has to support OFS in squashing the rabble-rousers who don't know their own place.

True, but my point being that the reason Manties use so many of them don't exist for the Solarian Navy, so their fleet ratio is much smaller - the FF will either throw BCs at the problem and smash it with a mailed glove, or just pour more cheap DD/CLs at the issue until it's smothered or needs a BC. in a peace time role, it's an in betweener that is either too much or not enough. Yes some are needed, and built, but most of it's roles are accomplished in the SLN without CAs.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse