Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

Nobel Prize

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Nobel Prize
Post by Henry Brown   » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:15 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

n7axw wrote:
Henry Brown wrote:An alternative idea is: once the truth is revealed, create something like the Nobel Prize in Shan-Wei's name. I could see Merlin getting behind this idea.

Not sure this thought would work out well outside the inner circle... More likely to get people to draw back in horror. What they would be more likely to hear "devil's prize".

Don

-

Well, I did specify after the truth is revealed. And yes, it would depend on how the population in general reacts to the truth. But if people start to accept the truth I could see several benefits to this. First, it would honor Shan Wei and her sacrifices. I think this would be important to the inner circle and especially Merlin. But second and more importantly, I think it might help people come to terms emotionally with the truth. It is one thing to know something on an intellectual level. It is a different thing to truly accept it emotionally. I think that naming a great honor after Shan Wei could help people process the revelation. It is one thing to tell the population that "no she was not the villain after all." It is a slightly different thing to actually honor her.
Post by n7axw   » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:57 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

My point would be that it will be several generations before a majority of Safeholdens accept the truth.

Look at earth. Five hundred years after the establishment of the scientific method and a significant percentage of Americans still insist on a six day creation...

Well, I did specify after the truth is revealed. And yes, it would depend on how the population in general reacts to the truth. But if people start to accept the truth I could see several benefits to this. First, it would honor Shan Wei and her sacrifices. I think this would be important to the inner circle and especially Merlin. But second and more importantly, I think it might help people come to terms emotionally with the truth. It is one thing to know something on an intellectual level. It is a different thing to truly accept it emotionally. I think that naming a great honor after Shan Wei could help people process the revelation. It is one thing to tell the population that "no she was not the villain after all." It is a slightly different thing to actually honor her.
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by ywing14   » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:42 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

n7axw wrote:My point would be that it will be several generations before a majority of Safeholdens accept the truth.

Look at earth. Five hundred years after the establishment of the scientific method and a significant percentage of Americans still insist on a six day creation...

I agree, it's going to take generations before they can really tell the truth of what's occurred. They really need the Church of Charis to take root.
Post by Peter2   » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:15 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

n7axw wrote:My point would be that it will be several generations before a majority of Safeholdens accept the truth.

A significant number of people still believe the Earth is flat, despite voluminous evidence (including photographs from space) clearly showing that it isn't. "None so blind as those who will not see" as the saying goes.
Post by n7axw   » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:11 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Peter2 wrote:

A significant number of people still believe the Earth is flat, despite voluminous evidence (including photographs from space) clearly showing that it isn't. "None so blind as those who will not see" as the saying goes.

Yep. I am firmly resolved not to get involved in a political discussion, but what I have seen of human nature suggests that progress is neither inevitable or straight line. Yet over time it does happen... with lots of twists and turns, blind alleys and dead ends.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Safehold