Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests

Through Firey Trials. Safehold book 10 up for preorder

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Through Firey Trials. Safehold book 10 up for preorder
Post by n7axw   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:09 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Randomiser wrote:
isaac_newton wrote:
EARLY in 2019 :-)

[Edit]

what hymn/song does the title come from [if any]??

Could be "How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord"

"When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,
My grace, all-sufficient, shall be thy supply."

(Just occurred to me that "grace" is Charis in NT Greek so the second line could be read .... But that is really too cheesy for RFC.)

Best thing though is that the new deal was Teri wouldn't schedule publication until RFC had turned in the first draft, so we can assume it's done.

Is it just me or is that blurb really lame?

Are you talking about Baen or Tor? It's true that Baen doesn't schedule publication until they have a manuscript. But Safehold is published by Tor. I am not aware that Tor has adopted Baen's policy on David's scripts.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Randomiser   » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:44 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

n7axw wrote:
Randomiser wrote:<snip>
Best thing though is that the new deal was Teri wouldn't schedule publication until RFC had turned in the first draft, so we can assume it's done.

Are you talking about Baen or Tor? It's true that Baen doesn't schedule publication until they have a manuscript. But Safehold is published by Tor. I am not aware that Tor has adopted Baen's policy on David's scripts.

Don

Oops! I forgot :oops:
Post by NervousEnergy   » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:25 am

NervousEnergy
Captain (Junior Grade)

Kinda thought it was ALWAYS that way with Tor. They're a much bigger publishing house with a pretty strict schedule, and they've always seemed to be on a 10-11 month cycle once the completed draft hits their desk, whenever that was.
Post by n7axw   » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:45 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

NervousEnergy wrote:Kinda thought it was ALWAYS that way with Tor. They're a much bigger publishing house with a pretty strict schedule, and they've always seemed to be on a 10-11 month cycle once the completed draft hits their desk, whenever that was.

It is at least true that Tor's cycle is normally more slow motioned than Baen's, whatever the reason.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Panzer   » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:45 pm

Panzer
Lieutenant Commander

Make sure you use "Fiery" and not "Firey."

:mrgreen:
Post by Randomiser   » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:26 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

"Through Fiery Trials" doesn't sound like things have got much easier for Merlin et al in the intervening period. Nor that they have made very much progress in preparing Safehold for the great revelation. Wasn't Merlin pretty sure the war over that was going to make the last little affair seem gentle and mannerly by comparison?
Post by n7axw   » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:44 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Randomiser wrote:"Through Fiery Trials" doesn't sound like things have got much easier for Merlin et al in the intervening period. Nor that they have made very much progress in preparing Safehold for the great revelation. Wasn't Merlin pretty sure the war over that was going to make the last little affair seem gentle and mannerly by comparison?

I remember something like that too. Shorter but bloodier..

Don

-
Post by BarryKirk   » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:17 pm

BarryKirk
Captain of the List

Sweet... Another safehold book in January.
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:35 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

So, ARCs on EBay, when?
Post by dobriennm   » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:59 pm

dobriennm
Commander

PeterZ wrote:So, ARCs on EBay, when?

I know that happened in the past, but I thought publishers had tightened up the proof-reading process (and this is Tor, not Baen).

Now if the Author was send out ARCs before turning in the first draft, that would be another possibility.

But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Plus, even the official Baen E-ARCs undergo some revision. If you've followed David Weber's comments in the Honor Harrington forum, he's had to make a number of changes to clarify things based on reader's confusion.

So I think I'll just wait until the final version comes out.

Return to Safehold