Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

Archangel Return

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Archangel Return
Post by DianeSilva   » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:20 pm

DianeSilva
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I am wondering when the archangel will return? Has Mr Weber said how far into the next arc will he be revealed?
Re: Archangel Return
Post by n7axw   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:14 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

DianeSilva wrote:I am wondering when the archangel will return? Has Mr Weber said how far into the next arc will he be revealed?

It was supposedly at the 1000 year mark, although it is more or less left to conjecture as to a 1000 years from what. Merlin speculates that it is the day of creation. But it could also be a 1000 years from when Schueler made the recording for Father Paityr's family. There is roughly 70 years between the two.

From where the story arc ends, there could be as little as less than 20 years until the time is up and the Return happens

So who knows? Maybe it won't happen at all...

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by ywing14   » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:07 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

n7axw wrote:
DianeSilva wrote:I am wondering when the archangel will return? Has Mr Weber said how far into the next arc will he be revealed?

It was supposedly at the 1000 year mark, although it is more or less left to conjecture as to a 1000 years from what. Merlin speculates that it is the day of creation. But it could also be a 1000 years from when Schueler made the recording for Father Paityr's family. There is roughly 70 years between the two.

From where the story arc ends, there could be as little as less than 20 years until the time is up and the Return happens

So who knows? Maybe it won't happen at all...

Don

-

The impression I got was that it was going to be within approximately 20 years of the last book.
Post by n7axw   » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:30 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

ywing14 wrote:
The impression I got was that it was going to be within approximately 20 years of the last book.

That impression is fair. But the textev is not definitive enough to take it to the bank.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by ywing14   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:41 am

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

n7axw wrote:
ywing14 wrote:

That impression is fair. But the textev is not definitive enough to take it to the bank.

Don

-

Agreed, thankfully no one asked me to place money on my impression.
Post by Annachie   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:58 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Well, most of us got that impression from when the next book was going to be set ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by WeberFan   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:56 am

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

n7axw wrote:
ywing14 wrote:

Don-

Actually, I think the textev is pretty darned definitive, Don:

Reference: HFaF, May, Year of God 895 .III. A Recon Skimmer, Above Carter's Ocean

In a segment where Merlin is replaying the discussion between Paityr Wylsynn and Merlin after the Inner Circle has first told Wylsynn the truth (emphasis mine):

"...But there's a reason I said your comment about having been dead for 'almost a thousand years' was ironic, Merlin."

"And that reason was?" Merlin asked slowly.

"Because according to the 'Vision of Schueler,'" Wylsynn said softly, "the Archangels themselves will return a thousand years after the Creation to be sure Mother Church continues to serve the true plan of God."

And then a bit later, in his skimmer, Merlin reflects:

And if Wylsynn's right about something "returning" in a thousand years, I may just need all the reinforcements I can get, he thought grimly. This is the year 895, but they've numbered their "Years of God" from the end of "Shan Wei's Rebellion," from the time the Church of God turned into the Church of God Awaiting. The Day of Creation was seventy years - Standard Years, not Safeholdian ones - before that. And that makes this year 979 since the Creation. Which means we've got twenty years, give or take, before whatever's going to happen happens.

This seems pretty definitive to me, and (and this gets me real excited) means that the next arc will beginning right around the millenium! Who knows what deviltry His Celeryness can get into with that plot hook...
Post by n7axw   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:53 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I think there is still room for skepticism here. While you have a reasonable point of view, consider Merlin's phrase, "And if Wylsyn's right..."

As earnest as Schueler seems in that hologram, the most positive thing that can be said about him is that he was a co-conspirator with Langhorne and the other members of the command group in depriving Safehold of science and technology by contriving a false religion that projected themselves into semi-divine status.

So is his assertion trustworthy? Dunno. I know that I don't trust it. As far as I'm concerned, the whole subject of the return is up in the air. Maybe yes and maybe no. "And if Wylsyn's right..."

Well, is he? 《Shrug》

Don

-
Post by dobriennm   » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:49 pm

dobriennm
Commander

I guess the only problem I have with the "20 years" estimate is the math

A Safehold year is about .91 of a Standard Year.

So the calculation should be

895 +(70/.91) = 895 + 77.8 = 972.8 or 973 approximately, not 979.

Admittedly, that's only 6 years difference, but it should have said about 25 years, not 20.

A minor quibble, I know.

To get the .91 factor, use

(301/365)*(26.5/24)=0.91056

WeberFan wrote:
Reference: HFaF, May, Year of God 895 .III. A Recon Skimmer, Above Carter's Ocean

And if Wylsynn's right about something "returning" in a thousand years, I may just need all the reinforcements I can get, he thought grimly. This is the year 895, but they've numbered their "Years of God" from the end of "Shan Wei's Rebellion," from the time the Church of God turned into the Church of God Awaiting. The Day of Creation was seventy years - Standard Years, not Safeholdian ones - before that. And that makes this year 979 since the Creation. Which means we've got twenty years, give or take, before whatever's going to happen happens.

Post by n7axw   » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:03 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Assuming that something will happen at the time of the Archangel's return, how literally should we take that 1000 year figure? Is this sort of a rough plus or minus situation? That is we will be back "about then." Or is the figure symbolic. In the Bible the 1000 year figure symbolizes time without end.

If we rule out the symbolic idea, I would be inclined to go with it being literal since computers would have to be involved somehow and computers are pretty literal.

Don

-

Return to Safehold