Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

Edwardian Era Sky Navies setting

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Edwardian Era Sky Navies setting
Post by lwhitehead   » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:34 pm

lwhitehead
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

This setting and world of Alt History Earth is inspired by Leviathans Board Game by Catalyst Game Labs, currently it's dead and I've bin looking around for NM copies of the Three Box Sets for the game.

I need help world building, the POD is 1869 when Orichalcum is first discovered and shaped into rods placed in a conductive fluid and Electricity was ran through it, the metal rods pulsed with energy and caused Gravitational Shielding.

By the 1900's the world's powers have Sky Navies along with there standard Navies as well.

The main series starts in 1902, of British Canadian who just made Commander Rank in British Sky Navy and has command of his First Battleship a type of Cruiser.

LW
Re: Edwardian Era Sky Navies setting
Post by Daryl   » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:55 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I wish you luck, and note that you do seem to have improved your grammar and spelling somewhat. Still lots of errors just in your short post, so more work needed. I suggest that you read the comments on another topic on here about fanfic.
Post by The E   » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:03 pm

The E
Admiral

Will you finish this one, then, lwhitehead?

I gotta say, I think it's pretty brave to ask for contributors when you haven't shown even a hint that you're actually capable of doing things yourself....

Also, if one of us were to help you and you were to realize your dream of finally writing that multi-installment epic you seem to be dreaming of every time you come here with yet another setting you need help with, how would you handle issues of co-authorship?
There's a reason His Celeryness has instituted a "no fanfic" rule on these forums, after all...
Post by lwhitehead   » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:29 am

lwhitehead

Well First off I don't do Fan Fics, Secondly in the Leviathans Board Game Alt History setting the World powers have abandoned Sea going Navies for Sky ones.

It's a good idea, and yes I hope to complete this Alt History setting.

LW
Post by The E   » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:58 am

The E
Admiral

lwhitehead wrote:Well First off I don't do Fan Fics,

I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear. The reason this board has a no fanfic rule (which means "no fanfic based on RFC's properties") is that, if someone were to post a fic here that has parallels to something RFC was planning to write or has written but not yet released, then that opens a huge can of worms labelled "legal liability". If you are asking for help creating your settings and, presumably, your stories, then that same can of worms is waiting for you, since whoever helped you has a pretty solid case to make for coauthorship.
I'm guessing you didn't think this through.

Secondly in the Leviathans Board Game Alt History setting the World powers have abandoned Sea going Navies for Sky ones.

It's a good idea, and yes I hope to complete this Alt History setting.

The fact that you've already posted another setting idea tells me that you really aren't serious about this whole "completing things" business.
Post by lwhitehead   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:30 pm

lwhitehead

Yes I know about the Can of Worms your talking about about the IP is still being argued about on BoardGeeks.com, and yes I understand about the Co-Authorship problem.

Now the other idea is backup if this Alt History setting falls through, this is why I need to get my Hands on the Core Box Set I need to see that Path through Alt History they used and there Sources as well.

I'm currently reading Edwardian Source Books, and Source Books such as Dreadnought, Size the Trident and such other books.

LW
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:28 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Crossposted from Sengoku Grimdark
L.

If you need help on your work, make an account at either SpaceBattles or Sufficient Velocity. Both sites have "Original Fiction" forums and you can start threads there (assuming you can be bothered to sign up) and get real-time, proper, reasoned feedback which will help you to build on your strengths and find ways to solve or work round your weaknesses.

Alternatively, you can set up an account on Fictionpress and post the opening chapters of your stories, although you won't get as much active feedback.

Remember that so far, you have failed to show any progress at all on the Kath, Chinese Fantasy, Kavi, Privateer, Giovanni Bank, Delos, Rail Baron, Galaxy Express, Steampunk Giant, Swashbuckling and Space American Civil War concepts.

Quite a list, isn't it? :twisted:
Get your mind in the game, L. Focus. Learn. Read. Then focus more.
Do you really want the list of your failures to keep growing?
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by The E   » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:38 pm

The E
Admiral

lwhitehead wrote:Yes I know about the Can of Worms your talking about about the IP is still being argued about on BoardGeeks.com, and yes I understand about the Co-Authorship problem.

Now the other idea is backup if this Alt History setting falls through, this is why I need to get my Hands on the Core Box Set I need to see that Path through Alt History they used and there Sources as well.

I'm currently reading Edwardian Source Books, and Source Books such as Dreadnought, Size the Trident and such other books.

LW

I thought you weren't doing fanfic. Here's a hint: If you actually want to ever graduate beyond your current stage as a writer (Which seems to be "have cool-sounding idea, post idea on forum, lose interest, have cool-sounding idea, repeat"), you need to sit down and actually write. You don't need every detail of a setting figured out before you can start telling stories in there.
Post by lwhitehead   » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:39 am

lwhitehead

I'm not doing Fanfiction, the game itself has bin dead for Four Years,

It holding onto an idea, it's jumping from One setting to another.

LW
Post by lwhitehead   » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:01 pm

lwhitehead

I'm giving this idea up, as you people pointed out I've got too many failures or not.

LW

Return to Free-Range Topics...