Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests

Missed Opportunity?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Missed Opportunity?
Post by wlhollis   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:38 pm

wlhollis
Midshipman

I have been a David Weber fan for years now. One of the things that I love about his books is that they are predictable, in a good way. The characters are developed so well that you can predict what they will do and say.

I am currently re-reading By Schism Rent Asunder. I was reading on my phone, so I can't see how much is left to read before the end of the chapter. I got to the end of July, 892 - Chapter IV and read the following,

"What truth?"
"This one," Byrkyt said quietly. "it begins, 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator

That was where I had to flip to the next page. This is what I expected to see when I did,

"with certain unalienable rights,that among these are-"
"Jesus Christ!" It was an obscenity and a prayer at the same time. Despite the advantages of a molecirc brain, the being known as Merlin Athrawes couldn't contain the outburst.

His surprise was so complete that he didn't notice Maikel's hand on his shoulder until the Archbishop spoke, "That's exactly where it ends."

I didn't.
Re: Missed Opportunity?
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:44 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Remember that Nimue Alban was from Wales. She might not have been as familiar with the Declaration of Independence as you are.

I kind of expected Merlin to provide the next few words, and then ask "Where the hell did you pay your hands on a copy of the Declaration of Independence? "
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by ywing14   » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:04 am

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Not even all Americans are that familiar with the Declaration of Independence.

I think shock is the appropriate response. Merlin believed he was alone. He now knew he wasn't.
Post by wlhollis   » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:38 am

wlhollis
Midshipman

fallsfromtrees wrote:Remember that Nimue Alban was from Wales. She might not have been as familiar with the Declaration of Independence as you are.

Now that is a thing which I had not thoroughly considered. Her being from Wales is only half the equation at that, I hadn't considered the time difference. The United States of America could be rather less important in this theoretical, or our actual future. Being an arrogant American I tend to take our supremacy and immortality as a given, despite all current trends and evidence to the contrary. Someone from Wales now would likely recognize the first few lines of the Declaration today though, it was aimed in their general direction after all.
Post by wlhollis   » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:57 am

wlhollis
Midshipman

Also, this thread is the result of an intoxicated individual who had a thought which he thought was much more clever than that same individual would find them sober. Feeling the need to express that (oh so clever thought) with people who would obviously praise this brilliance, he found the internet.

All subsequent replies fall under the same handicap.

Return to Safehold