Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests

(Spoiler!) What's Next for the Honorverse?(Spoiler Warning!)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: (Spoiler!) What's Next for the Honorverse?(Spoiler Warni
Post by runsforcelery   » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:57 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

kzt wrote:Well, yeah. "At the moment". I really thought that comment about how MA hyperspace physicists had written PhDs on the Twins was going to be the pointer, but nooo. :)

Depends on where the theses were published, now doesn't it? :P

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by phillies   » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:10 pm

phillies
Admiral

kzt wrote:Like the part of the text that says the ship works up at bolthole and then the ship and crew get assigned to the field forces.

It implied that a lot of the training facilities for the RHN are located there too, as she gets crudités for greatly improving the standard of training.

They reward Shannon by feeding her appetizers? We all knew the author was a great cook, so that's absolutely brilliant.
Post by kzt   » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:18 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:They reward Shannon by feeding her appetizers? We all knew the author was a great cook, so that's absolutely brilliant.

I love autocorrect on my iphone. :roll:
Post by Annachie   » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:52 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

There's nothing to say that the ships have the full navigation download while working up at Bolthole, and there's even less to say that they don't use a "pilot" to deploy to Haven.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Eagleeye   » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:41 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

runsforcelery wrote:
kzt wrote:Well, yeah. "At the moment". I really thought that comment about how MA hyperspace physicists had written PhDs on the Twins was going to be the pointer, but nooo. :)

Depends on where the theses were published, now doesn't it? :P

So, is there any chance, these thesis were a) published somethere at Mesa and, if that's the case, b) survived Houdini, especially its last act? :)
Post by pappilon   » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:25 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:Depends on where the theses were published, now doesn't it? :P

Eagleeye wrote:So, is there any chance, these thesis were a) published somethere at Mesa and, if that's the case, b) survived Houdini, especially its last act? :)

Still doesn't solve the minor tactical issue of invading through a defended worm hole terminus, does it? Nor does it answer the other part of thr invasion route issue: Where in N space is the other side of the teminus.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Sharp Claw   » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:55 am

Sharp Claw
Lieutenant Commander

pappilon wrote:

runsforcelery wrote:Depends on where the theses were published, now doesn't it? :P

Eagleeye wrote:So, is there any chance, these thesis were a) published somethere at Mesa and, if that's the case, b) survived Houdini, especially its last act? :)

Still doesn't solve the minor tactical issue of invading through a defended worm hole terminus, does it? Nor does it answer the other part of thr invasion route issue: Where in N space is the other side of the teminus.

I keep wondering how long it will be before it occurs to the scientists that that the failure of the wormhole survey was NOT due to some natural cause. It should be obvious that if the Manties have wormhole forts, then someone else could have wormhole defenses as well.
Post by kzt   » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:27 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Sharp Claw wrote:I keep wondering how long it will be before it occurs to the scientists that that the failure of the wormhole survey was NOT due to some natural cause. It should be obvious that if the Manties have wormhole forts, then someone else could have wormhole defenses as well.

And the way you tell the difference between a WH which destroys anyone who goes through it and a WH where you get destroyed once you get through it is?
Post by Annachie   » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:17 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:And the way you tell the difference between a WH which destroys anyone who goes through it and a WH where you get destroyed once you get through it is?

By going to the far end via normal travel.

Now finding the other end however ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by johncarter   » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:27 pm

johncarter
Midshipman

The odds are that any traffic from Darius involves ships that don't formally exist outside of that traffic, though they might well have the ID of actual ships. Or otherwise will be very difficult to trace. Somehow I doubt you are going to get the active cooperation of the people who are working with the MA to get uncooked records etc.

So let's say you find an uncharted developed system. What's next? You are going to do what?

I predict you'll go to make contact and never ever leave

Return to Honorverse