Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests

[Spoilers (of course)] Some things that seem odd to me

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: [Spoilers (of course)] Some things that seem odd to me
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:32 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:didn't QE2 in call to vengeance have constitution amended to say that if they are queen and unmarried (be that either unwed or widowed) they DON'T have to marry a commoner?

I'm not aware of when it became law, but the law about marriage to a commoner only applies to the Crown Heir. The Crown Prince or Princess must marry a commoner if the marry while they are Heir. Any siblings of the Crown Heir may marry as they wish, unless they inherit the status of Crown Heir while single.

It does not apply to marriages existing before inheriting Crown Heir status, marriages after coronation, or anyone NOT the immediate Heir to the Crown.

Thus is my understanding of the Marriage Restriction as it stands in Honor's time.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by jchilds   » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:58 pm

jchilds
Captain of the List

Nah - Oversteegen should bring Yana home to meet the family... :P
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:23 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Hans wrote:Hello

I read UH with a lot of joy. The book is <imho> very well written, the story makes sense....
But still there are some things i didn't get.

As soon as Mesa is involved i think there should be Beowolfs intelligence agencies are supposed to be the main part of the research.
Mesa is a part of Beowolfs history!
Firebrand mentioned the name 'Detweiler'
With that name all the alarms start to go on as soon as Beowolf hears it. Because it was a Detweiler who left from Beowolf to Mesa in anger!

The ships which are send out to conquer and hold the wormholes are often described as older ones.
I think any reasonable navy is supposed to send the ships out there which are best able to hold themselves so far away from their bases. The Saganami Cs along with even just one Agamemnon BC(P) are not really needed in a fleet with 300 + SDs, but they would make a big difference out there.

That Admiral Gweon - didn't they realize that he has an enhanced DNA? Especially when they know, that there is nanotechnology used.

When does Henke and Tourville get married? :mrgreen:

Re: Your Issues

a. Of course the name Detweiler would make Beowulf (and just about every one else at least on Manticore and Haven) take notice. Chances are they already know something.

But they know that the Dets were the ones who set up Mesa. Not all that hard to put it together. But they would be are more careful.

They don't need all the modern ships to hold the wormholes. There are quite a few of them. They already know the tech they have is advanced. If a huge force approaches, they can go through the wormhole. And we can see what happens then in one of the chapters.

Do we have to match up every single character? Henke has not shown any great hankering for Tourville or Oversteegan. Chances are she will marry but marrying either could cause some political problems. With Oversteegan, it's the connection to the Conservatives. With Tourville, to Haven.

Remember number five in line could possibly take over...granted not likely but at Mike's age she might just think about issues unless there's a lot of passion...none of which has shown.
Post by Fox2!   » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:12 am

Fox2!
Commodore

Keith_w wrote:Also, she's 5th in line, (3rd according to UH) so it is possible, although highly unlikely, that she may become queen and thus need to marry a commoner.

There are Elizabeth's two children, her brother, Michael (but not Ruth),her aunt, Caitrin, and then Mike.
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:59 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Fox2! wrote:
Keith_w wrote:Also, she's 5th in line, (3rd according to UH) so it is possible, although highly unlikely, that she may become queen and thus need to marry a commoner.

There are Elizabeth's two children, her brother, Michael (but not Ruth),her aunt, Caitrin, and then Mike.

There are interesting questions here. If Caitrin takes over, her heir is Mike.

IF Michael takes over, his heir is Caitrin, then Mike, unless he remarries, etc., and this is very unlikely.
Post by George J. Smith   » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:46 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Fox2! wrote:There are Elizabeth's two children, her brother, Michael (but not Ruth),her aunt, Caitrin, and then Mike.

ldwechsler wrote:There are interesting questions here. If Caitrin takes over, her heir is Mike.

IF Michael takes over, his heir is Caitrin, then Mike, unless he remarries, etc., and this is very unlikely.

Michael & Judith can have a child and that child would be his heir. Ruth is not his heir because he is not her biological father.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by pappilon   » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:54 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

We have 2 members of SLN ONI, a Marine of the same, a member of CID, and a civilian strolling frequently into a civilian building hanging out for hours not actually having meetings with anyone in the building. And no one notices? I guess I missed something?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Slneezy   » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:41 pm

Slneezy
Lieutenant Commander

pappilon wrote:We have 2 members of SLN ONI, a Marine of the same, a member of CID, and a civilian strolling frequently into a civilian building hanging out for hours not actually having meetings with anyone in the building. And no one notices? I guess I missed something?

Who would notice?

SLN's counter-intelligence isn't exactly top notch and MAlign can't have enough people to monitor every SLN captain or they'd be running the place instead of subtly steering.
Post by kzt   » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:39 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Slneezy wrote:
pappilon wrote:We have 2 members of SLN ONI, a Marine of the same, a member of CID, and a civilian strolling frequently into a civilian building hanging out for hours not actually having meetings with anyone in the building. And no one notices? I guess I missed something?

Who would notice?

SLN's counter-intelligence isn't exactly top notch and MAlign can't have enough people to monitor every SLN captain or they'd be running the place instead of subtly steering.

Luckily I suspect they carry tacking beacons with them, just like everyone else in a modern society does. It would of course take a lot of computer power to handle all that data, like maybe a shoebox sized block of computer..
Post by Slneezy   » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:16 am

Slneezy
Lieutenant Commander

kzt wrote:Luckily I suspect they carry tacking beacons with them, just like everyone else in a modern society does. It would of course take a lot of computer power to handle all that data, like maybe a shoebox sized block of computer..

Knowing where Daud and Co have been isn't the problem - finding a suspicious pattern amongst many other is.

Basically the algorithms need to flag their movements as suspicious... amongst thousands of similarly ranked officers who have plenty of legitimate or 'legitimate' reasons to network.

That may well be compounded by the SLN only tracking the movements of its officers while the Ministry of Interior tracks CID resulting in a conclusive pattern never emerging because the databases don't communicate.

As for the Alignment things would be even worse since they've got to be pressed for manpower (ha!) so their algorithms would have to filter through the interactions between millions of League employees and civilians to find a pattern. Considering how the League works there's little chance they'd watch for any clandestine meetings and even less of a chance for actual Alignment agents to follow through.

Return to Honorverse