Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 48 guests

And another out of order snippet while I'm thinking about it

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: And another out of order snippet while I'm thinking abou
Post by cthia   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:48 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:
And another out of order snippet while I'm thinking about it wrote:
snip...
“I’m sure, Mother.” There was no emotion in Honor’s voice, but she managed a brief caricature of a smile. It vanished quickly, and her nostrils flared as she reached up to the silent, grieving treecat on her shoulder. “Like I told Elizabeth, this has to end. And I’m going to end it, once and for all.” ...snip

My bold

Nimitz is grieving, is that because of the loss of Samantha, and as one of the posters mentioned earlier, could that mean Hamish & Emily are also gone?

We know Nimitz was fond of Jacques but would he be grieving so intensely if it wasn't more personal to him?

If it was Samantha, wouldn't Nimitz be writhing more in personal pain fighting for his own life? He might simply be helping to alleviate the pain, the natural therapeutic effect of the crooning found in the symbiotic relationship of cats and humans.

Incidentally, I always identified what treecats naturally do to assuage the emotional pain to be similar to the Empaths on Star Trek: TOS.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ldwechsler   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:17 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:
George J. Smith wrote:
snip...
“I’m sure, Mother.” There was no emotion in Honor’s voice, but she managed a brief caricature of a smile. It vanished quickly, and her nostrils flared as she reached up to the silent, grieving treecat on her shoulder. “Like I told Elizabeth, this has to end. And I’m going to end it, once and for all.” ...snip

My bold

Nimitz is grieving, is that because of the loss of Samantha, and as one of the posters mentioned earlier, could that mean Hamish & Emily are also gone?

We know Nimitz was fond of Jacques but would he be grieving so intensely if it wasn't more personal to him?

If it was Samantha, wouldn't Nimitz be writhing more in personal pain fighting for his own life? He might simply be helping to alleviate the pain, the natural therapeutic effect of the crooning found in the symbiotic relationship of cats and humans.

Incidentally, I always identified what treecats naturally do to assuage the emotional pain to be similar to the Empaths on Star Trek: TOS.[/quote]

I wonder why some people want so many of our fictional friends dead.

Losing Jacques (and presumably some of his family) is enough. Honor has lost most of her family in the Yawata strike.

We'll know in (around) 48 hours. So let's not grieve for people who may very well not be dead.

Also, note that Honor is mourning Jacques. I think Emily and Hamish would be first on her list to mourn if they died.
Post by n7axw   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:29 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:
And another out of order snippet while I'm thinking about it wrote:
snip...

My bold

Unless I'm missing something, with the exception of the uncle, we really don't know that anyone is missing. Hamish and Samantha could be at Admiralty House and haven't made it home yet. Raoul could simply be enjoying time with grandparents.

Nimitz is sharing in the grief of Honor and the other members of the family currently present.

This thread is tiurning into fan fiction.

Don

-
Last edited by n7axw on Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by pappilon   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:31 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:I wonder why some people want so many of our fictional friends dead.

Losing Jacques (and presumably some of his family) is enough. Honor has lost most of her family in the Yawata strike.

We'll know in (around) 48 hours. So let's not grieve for people who may very well not be dead.

Also, note that Honor is mourning Jacques. I think Emily and Hamish would be first on her list to mourn if they died.

Snipplet wrote: “I know that, believe me. But you come back to me. Raoul and Katherine need you now, more than ever. And your father and I — We’ll always need you, Honor. So you come back to us.”
italics are mine

I glossed over this one line several times until someone's post made me go back and re read this. It does seem to imply that Hamish and Emily are no longer around. But it is a snippet and no I don't want beowulf bombarded in a EEE violation, until I read it for myself.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Charybdis   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:40 pm

Charybdis
Captain of the List

OK, I don't think I need a spoiler alert here but if you have ordered the book off of Baen and read the 1st half, you see the rising tide and enemy plans that almost certainly lead to this snippet. ;)

Something that I have noticed though in that 1st half of this book, nothing about Michelle Henke aka Admiral Gold Peak, and her efforts at Mesa. An absence that gives me furiously to think about what the other hand of righteous justice might be doing!

Buckle your seatbelts and put your things and tray tables away, the flight is about to get violent from here! How our Mad Wizard manages to do everything needed in the 2nd half BAFFLES ME! So much to do and so little time ... :shock:
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by Brigade XO   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:17 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Somebody needs to look at the software that controls the date of the postings, I don't think today is MARCH 30th 2018
Post by cthia   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:29 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:Somebody needs to look at the software that controls the date of the postings, I don't think today is MARCH 30th 2018

The thread was resurrected by Charybdis Brigade. I think what's confusing you is that the last post of mine on this page before it was resurrected, actually the first post on the page, is talking about Star Trek and we just so happen to be, coincidentally, discussing Star Trek in a current thread as well. It's all just that annoying Murphy, or Star Trek's Q, having a little fun with you.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:04 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Was that fun for you, Satan???

NOBODY LIKES YOU. ::slams door::

( :evil: )
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:39 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:Was that fun for you, Satan???

NOBODY LIKES YOU. ::slams door::

( :evil: )

I never knew no one liked me. It just wasn't obvious.

::fingers crossed::

Isn't Satan a bit much?

Sure glad no one made a big deal over the 10k posts, that I missed! And please don't!

WHEW! DODGED THAT BULLET! And some say there ain't no God. hrmmph!

Post by cthia   » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:54 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I shall consider my invitation to the forum as formally revoked.

Return to Honorverse