Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mycall4me and 47 guests

Remaining holes in SLN intel

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Remaining holes in SLN intel
Post by pnakasone   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:09 am

pnakasone
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:
Fireflair wrote:Maybe once Honor thins the crowd at the top out some they'll begin to show up.

IF the war continues long enough they will. And people that show an ability to win will keep getting promoted if the war really matters.

History has repeatedly shown that your best fighting commanders are not your best at the office politics. But war has always been a good method of cleaning out the officer ranks of deadwood.
Post by cthia   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:10 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
Fireflair wrote:Maybe once Honor thins the crowd at the top out some they'll begin to show up.

IF the war continues long enough they will. And people that show an ability to win will keep getting promoted if the war really matters.

Well, this is going to be a redundant post. Since several of you have expressed the same sentiment. This was going to be in response to Theemile and ldwechsler at top of previous page...

@ Theemile: Makes really good sense to me. Although Filareta did have a bit of leeway given to him. IIRC, he could have turned around and high-tailed it back to Sol after entering the system.

I suppose by the same taken, following your logic, the best officers could actually have been pushed out of the navy, like what almost happened to Harrington. At any rate, if the best of the worse is near the bottom, then many deaths from war will move the cream up to the top. Not that it will matter now that the guillotine is dropping.

Perhaps the better officers are in FF anyway. If Battle Fleet takes enough of a hit, then perhaps the real metal of officers in FF will seek position with, or be shuffled to, Battle Fleet. Don't know how that would technically work really, but I've always thought that FF officers belong elsewhere, their talent/experience being wasted. I really believe the SLN will benefit with some major restructuring of BF and FF officers.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:13 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:

pnakasone wrote:History has repeatedly shown that your best fighting commanders are not your best at the office politics. But war has always been a good method of cleaning out the officer ranks of deadwood.

Being so crew intensive though, losing ships loses many of the possible decent officers hovering near the bottom.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by pappilon   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:53 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

I think we may be short changing Filareta. He has nasty personal issues, but he did do his best to set realistic simulations. Yes, I know, not really real ones, but to his credit he did not want to destroy the morale of his people.

He made decent analyses of Manty hardware based on what intel he was given. He was ready to negotiate his way out. Not his fault his Mesan paymasters scuttled his attempt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by ldwechsler   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:04 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

pappilon wrote:I think we may be short changing Filareta. He has nasty personal issues, but he did do his best to set realistic simulations. Yes, I know, not really real ones, but to his credit he did not want to destroy the morale of his people.

He made decent analyses of Manty hardware based on what intel he was given. He was ready to negotiate his way out. Not his fault his Mesan paymasters scuttled his attempt.

Filareta was a strong administrator. But no battles were mentioned when RFC gave his history. That makes a difference.

He was not a bad admiral but he had never really fought before. HH had been in several key battles. That gives her a huge advantage.
Post by John Prigent   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:56 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

I keep thinking of what happened in the decline of Rome and then that of Constaninopolis.Ichabod! (No,not Ichabod Crane.)
Post by ldwechsler   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:26 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

pappilon wrote:I think we may be short changing Filareta. He has nasty personal issues, but he did do his best to set realistic simulations. Yes, I know, not really real ones, but to his credit he did not want to destroy the morale of his people.

Keep in mind that not only did he have no real battle experience but the simulations he used were based on his superiority. Chances are the top leaders never lost in those sims. That would be bad politics.
Post by ldwechsler   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:27 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Keep in mind that not only did he have no real battle experience but the simulations he used were based on his superiority. Chances are the top leaders never lost in those sims. That would be bad politics.

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Return to Honorverse