Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KBaggy and 6 guests

Assasination of Ehdwyrd Howsmyn

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Assasination of Ehdwyrd Howsmyn
Post by oyohan   » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:17 pm

oyohan
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:32 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

I've been rereading the Safehold series again and something bothers me.

Considering the insane contributions Howsmyn makes, why hasn't the Clyntan targeted him for assassination? It would seem so easy.

There's a specific passage where he's riding his bicycle and people have to literally jump out of the way to avoid getting run over at one of his plants. These are regular workers getting off a shift and are within striking range of one of the most central contributors to Charisian industry.

Points to Consider:
1. Howsmyn is a workaholic, it would be near impossible to replace him.
2. Howsmyn does not apparently travel with any security. Given I cant recall any specific passages of him travelling anywhere but he does traverse his sprawling manufacturies and he's around probably thousands of "unscreened" employees throughout the day.
3. How difficult would it be get a rakurai infiltrated to work and then blow himself up when Howsmyn rides his bike nearby?

And before you tell me they don't think that way:

4. A single inquisition agent was able to secure plans for steel manufacture in Sidamark by inciting a riot and killing that guy from Charis's technical mission.
5. Hirawtha Mill Explosion - not planned but proof they can get agents deep inside.
6. Hecktor & Iris wedding bombing.
7. Assassination attempts of Michael Staynair & Sharlyn

Towards the latter books, it's Charis's industrialization that defeats the AoG. Why not attack it or the people responsible for it?

I find it odd that somebody as important as Howsmyn has no security. They're not there and Weber doesn't write about it, the scenes he describes are detailed enough to know that at least within the delfak works, he has no bodyguards.

The passage where he rides his bicycle or the King Haarald fire are some examples.
Top
Re: Assasination of Ehdwyrd Howsmyn
Post by n7axw   » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:57 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 5001
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:54 pm
Location: Viborg, SD

oyohan wrote:I've been rereading the Safehold series again and something bothers me.

Considering the insane contributions Howsmyn makes, why hasn't the Clyntan targeted him for assassination? It would seem so easy.

There's a specific passage where he's riding his bicycle and people have to literally jump out of the way to avoid getting run over at one of his plants. These are regular workers getting off a shift and are within striking range of one of the most central contributors to Charisian industry.

Points to Consider:
1. Howsmyn is a workaholic, it would be near impossible to replace him.
2. Howsmyn does not apparently travel with any security. Given I cant recall any specific passages of him travelling anywhere but he does traverse his sprawling manufacturies and he's around probably thousands of "unscreened" employees throughout the day.
3. How difficult would it be get a rakurai infiltrated to work and then blow himself up when Howsmyn rides his bike nearby?

And before you tell me they don't think that way:

4. A single inquisition agent was able to secure plans for steel manufacture in Sidamark by inciting a riot and killing that guy from Charis's technical mission.
5. Hirawtha Mill Explosion - not planned but proof they can get agents deep inside.
6. Hecktor & Iris wedding bombing.
7. Assassination attempts of Michael Staynair & Sharlyn

Towards the latter books, it's Charis's industrialization that defeats the AoG. Why not attack it or the people responsible for it?

I find it odd that somebody as important as Howsmyn has no security. They're not there and Weber doesn't write about it, the scenes he describes are detailed enough to know that at least within the delfak works, he has no bodyguards.

The passage where he rides his bicycle or the King Haarald fire are some examples.


What you are saying is largely true. However the Delthak Works where he seems to spend most of his time is quite isolated from most of Manticore. And it is not a place you slip into and out of without being noticed. My impression is that overall security is tight. It has a huge number of workers, most of whom are quite commited to Howsmyn due to good wages and benefits.

But that being said, you still have a valid point.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Top
Re: Assasination of Ehdwyrd Howsmyn
Post by oyohan   » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:32 pm

oyohan
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:32 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

I'm sure you meant Charis instead of Manitore who in this timeline never had the chance to exist.

But I'm also not talking about sneaking someone in to assassinate, I'm talking about getting a temple loyalist to simply apply and get hired. Lay low for a few months like Patrick Henree (sp?) and then strike at an opportune moment and maybe kill Howsmyn and all his top people.

Seems like the Inquisition action arm is easily capable of that.
Top
Re: Assasination of Ehdwyrd Howsmyn
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:13 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Posts: 530
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Thompson, CT USA

oyohan wrote:I'm sure you meant Charis instead of Manitore who in this timeline never had the chance to exist.

But I'm also not talking about sneaking someone in to assassinate, I'm talking about getting a temple loyalist to simply apply and get hired. Lay low for a few months like Patrick Henree (sp?) and then strike at an opportune moment and maybe kill Howsmyn and all his top people.

Seems like the Inquisition action arm is easily capable of that.


I also think he meant Charis rather than Manticore...
But honestly, I think you would complain if they hung you with a golden rope. :o
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Top
Re: Assasination of Ehdwyrd Howsmyn
Post by n7axw   » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:09 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 5001
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:54 pm
Location: Viborg, SD

C. O. Thompson wrote:
oyohan wrote:I'm sure you meant Charis instead of Manitore who in this timeline never had the chance to exist.

But I'm also not talking about sneaking someone in to assassinate, I'm talking about getting a temple loyalist to simply apply and get hired. Lay low for a few months like Patrick Henree (sp?) and then strike at an opportune moment and maybe kill Howsmyn and all his top people.

Seems like the Inquisition action arm is easily capable of that.


I also think he meant Charis rather than Manticore...
But honestly, I think you would complain if they hung you with a golden rope. :o


Yeah, I got my universes mixed. Too much time in the Honorverse lately. Now, C.O. Thompson, be nice... aa :D

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Top
Re: Assasination of Ehdwyrd Howsmyn
Post by oyohan   » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:23 pm

oyohan
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:32 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

C. O. Thompson wrote:But honestly, I think you would complain if they hung you with a golden rope. :o


Ouch. I'm not complaining... I've reread the series a dozen times. I'm just wondering if there's something I'm missing. I also forgot to mention the assassination attempts on Eastshare and Greenvalley referenced in AtSoT. And I believe the accurate quote is a "new" rope.
Top
Re: Assasination of Ehdwyrd Howsmyn
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:47 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Posts: 530
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Thompson, CT USA

oyohan wrote:
C. O. Thompson wrote:But honestly, I think you would complain if they hung you with a golden rope. :o


Ouch. I'm not complaining... I've reread the series a dozen times. I'm just wondering if there's something I'm missing. I also forgot to mention the assassination attempts on Eastshare and Greenvalley referenced in AtSoT. And I believe the accurate quote is a "new" rope.


Oh I am sure that both golden and new ropes have been used in the quotes... ;)
I find my self in awe at the scope and detail of David's writing but I also think that Houseman not only was in a more secure location in that his complex was built from scratch but he was part of the inner circle from early on and I think that Merlin and Owl would logically have more eyes on that complex.
Your example of Green Valley could monitor the snarcs and the assassins could not get close and while I don't recall Text Ev that the same was true about Houseman, it is a logical explanation.

Let's keep David and his family in our prayers so nothing distracts him from his writing schedule... Henry Brown found a notice from David written last June that outlines his most ambitious schedule...
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Top
Re: Assasination of Ehdwyrd Howsmyn
Post by Randomiser   » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:00 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1202
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: Scotland

C. O. Thompson wrote:Let's keep David and his family in our prayers so nothing distracts him from his writing schedule... Henry Brown found a notice from David written last June that outlines his most ambitious schedule...


Oh no, that was his new, more restricted schedule! :o
Top

Return to Safehold