Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 44 guests

Ivitation to discuss Call to Vengeance snippets (spoilers)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Ivitation to discuss Call to Vengeance snippets (spoiler
Post by Fox2!   » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:18 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

pappilon wrote:
It also cleared up a few bits of confusion for me, like where those ships came from that showed up behind our intrepid new adversaries. And what did anyone do with those obsolete GPS satellites hanging out at the LaGrange point. I must have missed some communications or something.

Look about two thirds of the way through chapter 5 of the EARC. Search for "Chomps".
Post by jtg452   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:42 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

Apparently, they are doing a "soft release" on the book.

I picked a copy up yesterday (Friday, 3/2) at Barnes and Noble.
Post by pappilon   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:32 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Fox2! wrote:
pappilon wrote:
It also cleared up a few bits of confusion for me, like where those ships came from that showed up behind our intrepid new adversaries. And what did anyone do with those obsolete GPS satellites hanging out at the LaGrange point. I must have missed some communications or something.

Look about two thirds of the way through chapter 5 of the EARC. Search for "Chomps".

Don't have the e-Arc. I can afford one or the other, I prefer hard copy. I was relying on the snippets posted on the snippets forum. Did find, the other day, the sample chapters on the BAen web site publishing schedule. It is more detailed than what is being put in the snippets.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Brigade XO   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:51 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

That is not Emperess Elizabeth, it is a sister of the reigning monarch in the story and WAY before Honor Harrington's parents are born.
Post by saber964   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:50 pm

saber964
Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:That is not Emperess Elizabeth, it is a sister of the reigning monarch in the story and WAY before Honor Harrington's parents are born.

True it's Queen Elizabeth II reigned from 1544-1601 PD Biggest accomplishments Ninth Amendment ratified and Discovery of MWJ.
Post by kaid   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:36 pm

kaid
Lieutenant Commander

I am liking the book so far but I have to say in the dead tree edition all the instances of Travis's is driving me nuts. How all that random underlining made it into the production book baffles me it is all over the place even a casual glance should have caught it.
Post by n7axw   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:32 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:
Brigade XO wrote:That is not Emperess Elizabeth, it is a sister of the reigning monarch in the story and WAY before Honor Harrington's parents are born.

True it's Queen Elizabeth II reigned from 1544-1601 PD Biggest accomplishments Ninth Amendment ratified and Discovery of MWJ.

Travis Long is contemporary with Stephanie Harrington and the discovery of treecats.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Bluesqueak   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:28 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

n7axw wrote:
Travis Long is contemporary with Stephanie Harrington and the discovery of treecats.

Don

-

Yes, Stephanie is about five years older than Travis.
Post by saber964   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:23 pm

saber964
Admiral

Bluesqueak wrote:
n7axw wrote:

Don

-

Yes, Stephanie is about five years older than Travis.

IIRC Stephanie Harrington was born in 1507 PD so she's 38-9 years old.
Post by Bluesqueak   » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:40 am

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

Interesting ... I argued earlier that Edward simply wasn't a very good King, and in the latest snippet, Travis is echoing my thoughts. ;)

He's right; a solemn occasion that's supposed to be rewarding people involved in the Star Kingdom's most serious battle in over a century, and Edward decides to take his daughter hydro-foiling?? That shows someone who has absolutely no instinctive understanding of when to be the King, and when to be a father.

Then there's the misjudgement seen in arranging the trip by boat in the first place. Announcing the route in advance is an implicit invitation to the general public to come to watch, then the security people come in and tell the said public that they can't. So who overruled whom?

Add Sophie dating Peter Young, and the stage is set for a Winton dynasty that's going to represent the worst type of monarchy - the one that arranges everything to suit themselves, not the nation.

Of course, the Manticoran history books we already have say that won't happen, because the crown goes to Elizabeth. But it's interesting that this book is suggesting that Manticore had a very lucky escape from the part of the Winton dynasty that didn't have the right instincts. That Edward is going to exit the Manticore Ascendant series having failed his own 'Call to Duty'.

Anyway, if Amazon does its usual Kindle thing, I should have the book at midnight tonight. I look forward to reading the whole thing. : :D

Return to Honorverse