Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], tlb and 48 guests

BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:43 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
cthia wrote:How did Beowulf find out about Raging Justice? Surely it wasn't in the news outlets of Old Earth.

Because the SLN came to them and asked them to join in the fun of a wormhole invasion.

So Beowulf ratted them out? Am I the only one to see that Beowulf really was bad? The League really does have a bone to pick with them. Every time I yell treason, all of you come at me with pitchforks. But how was Beowulf's actions not treasonous?

They were married to the League and found a new boyfriend. But you've got the obligation to end your previous relationship properly.

Treason is not the note you should end your previous relationship on. It's a total act of disrespect. You shouldn't do that to a wife, boyfriend or girlfriend on the way out of the door. Not if you don't want karma to bite you in the ass.

Beowulf, the karma really suits ya.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by Theemile   » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:54 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

So Beowulf ratted them out? Am I the only one to see that Beowulf really was bad? The League really does have a bone to pick with them. Every time I yell treason, all of you come at me with pitchforks. But how was Beowulf's actions not treasonous?

They were married to the League and found a new boyfriend. But you've got the obligation to end your previous relationship properly.

Treason is not the note you should end your previous relationship on. It's a total act of disrespect. You shouldn't do that to a wife, boyfriend or girlfriend on the way out of the door. Not if you don't want karma to bite you in the ass.

Beowulf, the karma really suits ya.

There was no declaration of war, or even the hints of it at that time - there was a diplomatic incident, and the reactions to it, and the SLN decides to Invade Manticore, all the while Manticore is saying WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT THIS.

The action was illegal, and Beowulf told the SLN so.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:17 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

There was no declaration of war.

But.

Operation Raging Justice was the SLN's declaration of survival. They were trying to preempt the situation they're in now. A quick, unexpected thrust. And who's to say it wouldn't have worked? Had it not been for Beowulf!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:53 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
Theemile wrote:Because the SLN came to them and asked them to join in the fun of a wormhole invasion.

I thought it was more than that, because the Beowulf official already had a good idea what the Solarian officer was going to ask before the first meeting. He arranged to have a Beowulf conference to discuss how to answer before they heard the request.
Sometimes it is just as important to spy on your allies as it is to spy on your enemies.
Theemile wrote:I remember a similar occurance with the Beowulf leadership knowing ahead of the events, but at the end of the day, an SLN Admiral literally showed up on Beowulf, handed the SDF Leadership a folder of the mission highlights and the desired role for the Beowulf SDF's wallers to the Beowulf Armirality, and requested they join in.

Too which, the Beowulf leadership told the SLN Admiral that the Manticorian wormhole and home defenses were 100% online, and such a foray was suicide. And that they had no quarrel with Manticore and the SLN had no power to enforce the request without declaring war against Manticore.

Then they sent a super secret message on a super secret back channel to nobody in particular that the Sollies were coming.
Do pardon my bold to call attention. Also pardon snip and transplant.

The League, of which they were a part, had a quarrel. There were many dissenters during the Viet Nam War. There are many people still angry over that one now. But it didn't give them a right to commit treason against their own "country." Many more American soldiers would have died.

There are over 7,000 pages of how the White House had been lying about the Viet Nam for over 30 years. Sound familiar?

Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:07 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

IF THE MONSOONS ARE RAINING ORBITAL DEBRIS

THEN TREASON IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON

Post by Annachie   » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:08 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

What treason?

Beowolf informed the wormhole managers that a illegal attempt was made to use the wormhole.

Wouldn't suprise me if there was a contractual obligation to inform them.

Now the SLN navy possibly was commiting treason by going against the cinstitution and then threatening a member planet over it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:13 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Annachie wrote:What treason?

Beowolf informed the wormhole managers that a illegal attempt was made to use the wormhole.

Wouldn't suprise me if there was a contractual obligation to inform them.

Now the SLN navy possibly was commiting treason by going against the cinstitution and then threatening a member planet over it.

No, the real threat was Filareta and he did not use the wormhole.

However, I doubt we can talk about loyalty to the League. We have the UN but how many people are loyal to it? We are loyal to
our own countries.

Beowulf passed on the info because they opposed the action. It was an action approved by a group of non-elected bureaucrats, not the League Assembly.
Post by Annachie   » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:43 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Not 100% sure, but I don't believe the SLN know who tipped off Manticore that Fillareta was on his way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:53 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:Not 100% sure, but I don't believe the SLN know who tipped off Manticore that Fillareta was on his way.

I didn't think that they know either, but if they don't suspect Beowulf then they really need to get out of the ONI game.

Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:02 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:...who's to say it wouldn't have worked? ...

Sandra Crandall? Adm Byng?

Oooops, they're both dead. How about the survivors from their commands?

Just about anyone who traveled through the Beowulf terminus -- like maybe the dispatch boat that sat around the Manticore end of the WHJ before bringing word of Adm Filareta's arrival?
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to Honorverse