Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 13 guests

List of "translated" names?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
List of "translated" names?
Post by clancy688   » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:01 pm

clancy688
Captain of the List

I was wondering if there's a list of "translated" names somewhere. :D

Some are more or less easily translatable (Like Zhaspahr Clyntahn -> Casper Clinton?), but not all (the hell did 'Ahrmahk' evolve from? :D ).
Re: List of "translated" names?
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:06 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

clancy688 wrote:(Like Zhaspahr Clyntahn -> Casper Clinton?)

That would be Jasper Clinton. (I doubt he's a very friendly ghost. :p)
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by clancy688   » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:49 pm

clancy688
Captain of the List

See, that's why I need a list! :D

(Btw., can anyone tell me which political party MWW supports? I find it kinda strange that the virtual re-incarnation of Hitler in his novel series shares a name with a certain US president... :D)
Post by Dilandu   » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:53 am

Dilandu
Admiral

It is even more problem when you are trying to transkate them on Russian...
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by saber964   » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:05 pm

saber964
Admiral

clancy688 wrote:See, that's why I need a list! :D

(Btw., can anyone tell me which political party MWW supports? I find it kinda strange that the virtual re-incarnation of Hitler in his novel series shares a name with a certain US president... :D)

Not Adolf Hitler more like Joseph Stalin with a dash or two of Lavrentiy Beria tossed in.
Post by Dilandu   » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:54 am

Dilandu
Admiral

saber964 wrote:
Not Adolf Hitler more like Joseph Stalin with a dash or two of Lavrentiy Beria tossed in.

If you mean "like parodical image of Stalin, usual for Western school books", then yes.

If you mean the actual Stalin, who ruled Soviet Union, then no. Actually, Duchrain is much close to actual Stalin than Clyntahn.

Simply speakung - Stalin was EXTREMELY cautious. He never - never! - acted unless he actually thought-out the whole situation and calculated the possible outcomes. And he was absolutely pragmatic. He never ever assumed that the reality is what he want it to be.

If Clyntahn was more like Stalin, he would never act as hastly as in books. He would never allow his name to be actually linked with actions against Charis - he would prepare the retreat position BEFORE actions, so in case of faliure he could back off and claim that it was all misunderstanding, the Church never have anything to do with that, and if there are any evidience of opposite, they are clearly faked by the countless enemies of humble Grand Inquisitor who desired only peace & happines for everyone. I.e. he would prepare the situation, in which the whole crysis could be dragged for literally years without saying "yes" or "no", until he would be completely prepared.

Post by Dilandu   » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:08 am

Dilandu
Admiral

I.e. if we have Staylyin instead of Clyntahn:

* He would probably start the campaign against Church corruption himself, as soon as he secured his powerbase. Partly to defuse the situation, and partly to increase Inquisition influence in the Church.

* He would never drag Chisholm into the coalition against Charis. Simply bevause it would be counterproductive and far too implausible. The "Emerald and Corisand decided to go against Charis and Tarot decided to tag along" would be much more plausible, would not require as many obvious pushing, and would not deny him the plausible deniability.

* He would not start the whole Holy War buisness UNTIL he would be sure that he already have sufficient forces to actually win the war. And he would clearly try the diplomatic approach first.

* Dragging in the Siddarmark was a costly mistake, which Stalin would avoid like fire.

Post by roseandheather   » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:04 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

clancy688 wrote:See, that's why I need a list! :D

If I had to make a judgment call as to what sort of candidate RFC would vote for, I'd peg him as a Kasich supporter, or at the least Kasich-esque in his politics - which makes it very, very unlikely that he seriously intends any sort of genuine comparison between Bill Clinton and Zhaspahr Clyntahn. My guess? It's either a total coincidence or a tongue-in-cheek not-coincidence. Just my two cents, though. :)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Daryl   » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:38 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

A background comment. Eric Flint is an ex union organiser, and freely admits to being somewhat left, and his good friend David has referred to him as Eric the Red. My understanding of David's politics is that he is on the right, but not dogmatically so. Unlike say another good friend, John Ringo who regards the T Party as near communist wimps.
Post by clancy688   » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:33 pm

clancy688
Captain of the List

Daryl wrote: Unlike say another good friend, John Ringo who regards the T Party as near communist wimps.

:shock:

(Well, actually not... I read his books after all... :lol: )

Return to Safehold