Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests

Eridani Edict Violation of the most Dismissive Kind...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Eridani Edict Violation of the most Dismissive Kind...
Post by kzt   » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:08 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:Q4 almost didn't exist - about 80% of it's normal volume was purchased on the Q3 books, and that's when the sales leader actively started playing with the numbers, just to reach his sales goals and get another bonus. This all came out at the beginning of the next year, and the leader was quickly fired.

The trick is to get another job before the truth comes out. Make the quarter, make the year, get the bonus, get a new job.
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:56 am

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:And I don't recall much about Sonja during the High Ridge years. She might have been doing something but I'm not certain we know what it was.

IIRC, she had a major field command sometime during this. Though it might have been during the end of the original war. Anyhow, it was considered successful, and nobody seemed to have reservations about it. Unlike someone else, whose high command pretty much laughed themselves silly at the concept of giving her a field command.

She chose not to serve under Janacek, I think. For fleet command, all I remember is that she was running the Grendelsbane Fleet base in SVW, but had the Weapons Development Board chair in IEH.
Rob

Rob
Post by n7axw   » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:01 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
Theemile wrote:Q4 almost didn't exist - about 80% of it's normal volume was purchased on the Q3 books, and that's when the sales leader actively started playing with the numbers, just to reach his sales goals and get another bonus. This all came out at the beginning of the next year, and the leader was quickly fired.

The trick is to get another job before the truth comes out. Make the quarter, make the year, get the bonus, get a new job.

I wonder how many of these things end up in a nasty trial. I know of a situation that happened in the regional office of the church where I was serving. The treasurer spent time in jail.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:28 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

n7axw wrote:

I wonder how many of these things end up in a nasty trial. I know of a situation that happened in the regional office of the church where I was serving. The treasurer spent time in jail.

Don

-[/quote]

It depends on how illegal the action is. Playing games with numbers is wrong but what these people did was sort of shaving the line. There might be some regulations violated but even getting a bonus wrongfully is not necessarily illegal.

By the way, the Russians in the USSR did a lot of that. They cut corners absolutely wrecking quality in order to increase quantity. At times, what was produced was of no value but they met their quotas.
Post by pappilon   » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:37 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
It depends on how illegal the action is. Playing games with numbers is wrong but what these people did was sort of shaving the line. There might be some regulations violated but even getting a bonus wrongfully is not necessarily illegal.

By the way, the Russians in the USSR did a lot of that. They cut corners absolutely wrecking quality in order to increase quantity. At times, what was produced was of no value but they met their quotas.

IDK. taking money you are not entitled to is usually some form of theft. Most companies may not take legal action against the perp(s), and may not even insist they return the money, does not make any less illegal.

And as sad as it is, legal is the minimum moral value of a society.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:34 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

pappilon wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:

IDK. taking money you are not entitled to is usually some form of theft. Most companies may not take legal action against the perp(s), and may not even insist they return the money, does not make any less illegal.

And as sad as it is, legal is the minimum moral value of a society.

Agreed. But finagling records to look better MAY not be illegal if there are no tax or regulatory consequences.
Post by kzt   » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:41 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:Agreed. But finagling records to look better MAY not be illegal if there are no tax or regulatory consequences.

If I get you to buy next quarters purchase this quarter I'm not breaking the law. And if that means I get a bonus for exceeding my sales goals, well, I did exceed my sales goals.
Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:16 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Why wouldn't orbital infrastructure, infrastructure that will obviously rain debris onto the planet, not also be protected under the Edict?

Isn't Grayson's orbital infrastructure also a loaded weapon in that manner?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Joat42   » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:19 am

Joat42
Admiral

cthia wrote:Why wouldn't orbital infrastructure, infrastructure that will obviously rain debris onto the planet, not also be protected under the Edict?

Excerpt from PoW - Expanding upon the Eridani Edict:
runsforcelery wrote:The military targets which are legitimate candidates for bombardment are also clearly understood to fall into specifically limited categories. They may be command-and-control nodes, such as planetary military and/or political command structures and facilities. They may be tactical weapons positions or troop concentrations. They may be civilian communications facilities which have military applications. However, all of them must have immediate, tactical applications and capabilities.

What this means is that a planetary defense missile battery, wherever located, is a legitimate target. The defenders can't stick the missiles in the middle of Central Park in New York City in order to protect them against attack under the terms of the Eridani Edict. If there are weapons there, then they are legitimate targets for attack. By the same token, if two armored divisions dig in to defend New York City and their commander refuses to surrender, then they become a legitimate target. The White House in Washington, DC, would be a legitimate target, as would the Pentagon, because of their command-and-control functions. A civilian powerplant being used to provide electricity to weapons systems, or sensors, or electronic warfare platforms, would also be a legitimate target. However, a factory which produced missiles but had no capacity to fire them, would not be a legitimate target because it poses no immediate tactical threat to the fleet in orbit around the planet or to the assault troops which it might land to take possession of the factory. Similarly, an orbital bombardment attack on the basic economic or industrial infrastructure of the planet would not be justifiable under the terms of the Edict, nor would a "demonstration strike" on a population center intended to terrify the rest of the planetary population into submission.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:18 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Joat42 wrote:
cthia wrote:Why wouldn't orbital infrastructure, infrastructure that will obviously rain debris onto the planet, not also be protected under the Edict?

Excerpt from PoW - Expanding upon the Eridani Edict:
runsforcelery wrote:The military targets which are legitimate candidates for bombardment are also clearly understood to fall into specifically limited categories. They may be command-and-control nodes, such as planetary military and/or political command structures and facilities. They may be tactical weapons positions or troop concentrations. They may be civilian communications facilities which have military applications. However, all of them must have immediate, tactical applications and capabilities.

What this means is that a planetary defense missile battery, wherever located, is a legitimate target. The defenders can't stick the missiles in the middle of Central Park in New York City in order to protect them against attack under the terms of the Eridani Edict. If there are weapons there, then they are legitimate targets for attack. By the same token, if two armored divisions dig in to defend New York City and their commander refuses to surrender, then they become a legitimate target. The White House in Washington, DC, would be a legitimate target, as would the Pentagon, because of their command-and-control functions. A civilian powerplant being used to provide electricity to weapons systems, or sensors, or electronic warfare platforms, would also be a legitimate target. However, a factory which produced missiles but had no capacity to fire them, would not be a legitimate target because it poses no immediate tactical threat to the fleet in orbit around the planet or to the assault troops which it might land to take possession of the factory. Similarly, an orbital bombardment attack on the basic economic or industrial infrastructure of the planet would not be justifiable under the terms of the Edict, nor would a "demonstration strike" on a population center intended to terrify the rest of the planetary population into submission.

On the other hand, ordering all workers off an orbital factory and then destroying it would not be a violation since it would not be on a planet.

And just about all heavy manufacturing was now done in orbit on advanced worlds.

Return to Honorverse