Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

EV Cars

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
EV Cars
Post by Lord Skimper   » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:19 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

I finally found one I like. it is very much like my 86 Mustang cobra. Similar size, performance, cargo even has the same range.

Chevy Bolt.
Post by cthia   » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:40 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:I finally found one I like. it is very much like my 86 Mustang cobra. Similar size, performance, cargo even has the same range.

Chevy Bolt.

The range is impressive. One of my friends wants to get two for his twins that are entering college. The girls are concerned with it being too slow. I suppose they're in for a surprise, if daddy can talk them into it. Seems a test drive is in order.

Comparable to an '86 Mustang Cobra is shocking.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: EV Cars
Post by Lord Skimper   » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:58 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Similar size, four doors, 4+1 seating, same Bhp and always instant reguardless of altitude. 93% of the torque instantly. <6.5 second 0-60 mph. 190 to 300+ mile range, lower highway, higher in the city. lots more cargo room. Auto braking if you forget, lane holding, link your phone and has several cameras including the rear view mirror.

It is an interesting car.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:02 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

I'm sure you know Tesla's are ludicrously fast. The Bolt is not quite as fast but half to a third the price. And available right now.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:07 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Okay, I looked at it. They made all the same stupid mistakes they always do. Instead of designing an electric car, they designed a gas-engine car with an an electric motor.

You don't need motive power in the center of the chassis, you need it at the wheels. THAT'S where they should put the motors. Yeah, MOTORS. Instead of an unnecessary transmission and differential, put a motor as close to each wheel as it can get with, at most, one stage of fixed gearing. And a separate PWM controller for each motor, instead of a single point of failure.

Electric motors are so much simpler and more reliable than piston engines, it makes more sense to put a smaller one on each wheel than to hook up one motor with a lot of grinding gears. Every moving part is just one more thing to create friction and break down.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:32 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:Okay, I looked at it. They made all the same stupid mistakes they always do. Instead of designing an electric car, they designed a gas-engine car with an an electric motor.

You don't need motive power in the center of the chassis, you need it at the wheels. THAT'S where they should put the motors. Yeah, MOTORS. Instead of an unnecessary transmission and differential, put a motor as close to each wheel as it can get with, at most, one stage of fixed gearing. And a separate PWM controller for each motor, instead of a single point of failure.

Electric motors are so much simpler and more reliable than piston engines, it makes more sense to put a smaller one on each wheel than to hook up one motor with a lot of grinding gears. Every moving part is just one more thing to create friction and break down.

Bolt EV was never a Gas engined Car with an Electric Engine, that was the Chevy Spark EV which is much smaller than the Bolt.

Bolt only and always has been an EV Bolt is one speed with a 240 mile average range. More in the city less at higher speeds.

EV's are not affected by altitude.
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:46 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:Okay, I looked at it. They made all the same stupid mistakes they always do. Instead of designing an electric car, they designed a gas-engine car with an an electric motor.

Bolt EV was never a Gas engined Car with an Electric Engine, that was the Chevy Spark EV which is much smaller than the Bolt.

You misunderstand what Imaginos1892 is saying. They never designed the Bolt with an ICE, they just designed it as if the electric motor were an ICE. They did not take advantage of the differences to make a truly "Electric" vehicle, they made as few changes to the basic design concept of all GM cars as possible.

I have to say that design philosophy does allow them to use off-the-shelf drive-train parts instead of designing expensive specialized parts that have no "economy of scale" to reduce costs.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Lord Skimper   » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:46 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

They made it affordable. With current rebates and such very affordable.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:26 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Somebody gets it! Mostly, at least.

Weird Harold wrote:I have to say that design philosophy does allow them to use off-the-shelf drive-train parts instead of designing expensive specialized parts that have no "economy of scale" to reduce costs.

But a properly designed electric car wouldn't NEED all those drive-train parts. No transmission, no differential, no driveshafts, no universal joints — a hundred and one things that just aren't there to go wrong.

How about a 40 HP 'pancake' type motor built into each wheel hub? Reduce the whole drive train to four moving parts!

That might be too reliable, though. It would disrupt their business model. Their dealers wouldn't get to make all those expensive repairs, and the car would last a lot longer before wearing out.
Post by aairfccha   » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:04 pm

aairfccha
Commander

Imaginos1892 wrote:How about a 40 HP 'pancake' type motor built into each wheel hub? Reduce the whole drive train to four moving parts!

Adding quite a bit of unsprung mass, possibly running into packaging issues because you still need some place to put brakes and you need to keep the motors cooled.

Oh, and they apparently come with a bit of a price tag attached.

Return to Free-Range Topics...