Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 38 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:46 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:Somehow, I don't see treecats popping off in uncontrolled rage. Yes Clean Killer in angry, but he is also intelligent enough to know he can't automaticly go bonkers and that he can be more helpful to his person by leashing his anger and channeling it into helping his person with whatever mission is at hand.

In the Honorverse, I can remember twice when a treecat "lost it." One was that clan elder in Treecat Wars in the aftermath of fireseason who engineered an attack on another clan. The other time was Nimitz on Tepes when he perceived is person vulnerable and in danger. That was the incident where he lost his mindvoice.

Not a bad record, really.

Don

-

How could you forget the most famous incident of all? That of Nimitz discombobulating Maccabeus? :o

Consider the video textev in UH. Everyone knows full well that there's going to be Mesan blood shed by treecat as soon as complicity is detected. They will not pass go, they will not collect $200 or a trial by jury. It will be a trial by treecat.

That is why that whole scene with Clean Killer bonding with Harahap worked so well to cause such a panic and ruckus, because everyone expects swift treecat justice.

I'm thinking that somebody better have a real long talk with Clean Killer.

Also, I think you must consider that asking Clean Killer not to instantly react to such an offending mindglow may be unfair and unrealistic. I think it is part and parcel to why Honor chose to leave Nimitz in his quarters the many times she was to meet with Pavel Young. I think Honor knew it was too much to ask of Nimitz not to sever his head from his body.

It is akin to this notion I suggested in the Trinity post of the "Honor, Nimitz and Pavel Young" thread...

The Hannibal Lecters and Jack the Rippers of the Honorverse should have a very distintive and unmistakable imprint of a mindglow as loud and distinctive as the whistle of a train. And that imprint should be able to be lifted by any treecat forensics expert. Not a partial print either.

As a thought experiment...

If Hannibal Lecter were encased in an emotional barrier, similar to a kryptonite version of a lead case,

then quickly exposed to a treecat at kissing distance might represent as frightening as an unknown as detonating the first atomic bomb. Nimitz may not have the time needed to assuage the emotional pummeling assaulting his senses before he has to launch himself on a trajectory towards the nest-of-a-toupee to split the egg underneath.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Bluesqueak   » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:10 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

n7axw wrote:Somehow, I don't see treecats popping off in uncontrolled rage. Yes Clean Killer in angry, but he is also intelligent enough to know he can't automaticly go bonkers and that he can be more helpful to his person by leashing his anger and channeling it into helping his person with whatever mission is at hand.

In the Honorverse, I can remember twice when a treecat "lost it." One was that clan elder in Treecat Wars in the aftermath of fireseason who engineered an attack on another clan. The other time was Nimitz on Tepes when he perceived is person vulnerable and in danger. That was the incident where he lost his mindvoice.

Don

-

There's also Monroe, who rips the throat out of Roger's murderer.

I suspect that if Clean Killer ever meets Collin Detweiler, Collin is going to be scattered about the room. But he could probably control himself with Audrey Hanrahan (who is only peripherally involved), just as he could when told Damian Hararap was cooperating.
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:24 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Bluesqueak wrote:

Don

-

I suspect that if Clean Killer ever meets Collin Detweiler, Collin is going to be scattered about the room. But he could probably control himself with Audrey Hanrahan (who is only peripherally involved), just as he could when told Damian Hararap was cooperating.

Monroe was defending the consort. I would guess Clean Killer would not care for Colin. But I doubt he would go nuts unless the situation called for it.

Remember there are a lot of sleazy people on Manticore who have not been attacked. We can start with Pavel Young.
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:09 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Bluesqueak wrote:

Don

-

ldwechsler wrote:Monroe was defending the consort. I would guess Clean Killer would not care for Colin. But I doubt he would go nuts unless the situation called for it.

Remember there are a lot of sleazy people on Manticore who have not been attacked. We can start with Pavel Young.

Nimitz couldn't get to Pavel Young. He was always left in his quarters. Honor knew what time it was.

Clean Killer was able to control himself with Harahap because Harahap had one little thing going for him. He wasn't intimately involved.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:21 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:

Don

-

ldwechsler wrote:Monroe was defending the consort. I would guess Clean Killer would not care for Colin. But I doubt he would go nuts unless the situation called for it.

Nimitz couldn't get to Pavel Young. He was always left in his quarters. Honor knew what time it was.

Clean Killer was able to control himself with Harahap because Harahap had one little thing going for him. He wasn't intimately involved.

There have been other bad guys who have had to deal with treecats. The cats seem to only get violent when necessary.
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:50 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Don

-
Bluesqueak wrote:There's also Monroe, who rips the throat out of Roger's murderer.

cthia wrote:Nimitz couldn't get to Pavel Young. He was always left in his quarters. Honor knew what time it was.

ldwechsler wrote:There have been other bad guys who have had to deal with treecats. The cats seem to only get violent when necessary.

Revenge is a necessary violence. The cats are on the lookout for the perpetrators of the Yawata strike. If they find even one. They will strike.

Post by Brigade XO   » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:09 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Nimitz and Monroe were in very specific situations. In both cases it was an immediate confrontation with other people going after their Person (ok, Nimitz also knew/understood that there were a number of people in that room that his Person was going to defend and there were a bunch of people who both he and his Person were going to have to either kill or render unfit for combat before things stopped being deadly).
I think the Clean Killer -with the aid for signlanguage and actual discussions about what is going on and what he might encounter- will come to the conclusion that capturing various persons as opposed to killing them upon encounter- will be a MUCH MORE SATISFYING AND USEFULL WAY TO GO. Catch them, have the wrung out and then use thier information to destroy all those who want to harm the People and their two leg brothers.
MUCH better.
Post by pappilon   » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:47 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Brigade XO wrote: [Snip]
I think the Clean Killer -with the aid for signlanguage and actual discussions about what is going on and what he might encounter- will come to the conclusion that capturing various persons as opposed to killing them upon encounter- will be a MUCH MORE SATISFYING AND USEFULL WAY TO GO. Catch them, have the wrung out and then use thier information to destroy all those who want to harm the People and their two leg brothers.
MUCH better.

Why not just a mind to mind convo with Nimitz and Samantha? After all, they're all in Landing, probably in the same building at the same time.

And back to O'Hanrahan. What involvement does she honestly have? I get this voicemail from my company's system to my company box. Yes, its computer generated so I can't tell who it is or even if its male or female. It gives me work orders and I follow them. Alignment? No, never heard of them. Detweilers? Wasn't Lenny assassinated without progeny centuries ago? Everyone knows that. Do I believe 1/100th of what comes out of Mesa? Not even 1,1000th.
ALL textev except for the voicemail thing, but not so much of a stretch.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by cthia   » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:07 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

BEOWULF: The Karma Suits Ya

BEOWULF BOUGHT THEIR OWN KARMA

Like it or not. Beowulf should have known the hornet's nest it was stirring...

After the BOM and that gray area that transpired not in Beowulf space, :roll: Beowulf should have known what would happen and what was coming...

The Mandarins after the BOM...
  • "They seem to know of the enemy's tech w/o sharing the intel."
  • "They seem to have access to said tech! At least in a limited fashion."

"Those Sons-O-Bitches! They were burning the candle on both ends!"

"Beowulf is bad. Very very bad."

"What do we do?"

"Simple. They were burning the candle at both ends. We're going to burn it in the middle!"

Last edited by cthia on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post by pappilon   » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:10 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:BEOWULF: The Karma Suits Ya

BEOWULF BOUGHT THEIR OWN KARMA

Like it or not. Beowulf should have known the hornet's nest it was stirring...

After the BOM and that gray area that transpired not in Beowulf space, :roll: Beowulf should have known what would happen and what was coming...

The Mandarins after the BOM...
  • "They seem to know of the enemy's tech w/o sharing the intel."
  • "They seem to have access to said tech! At least in a limited fashion."

"Those Sons-O-Bitches! They were burning the candle an both ends!"

"Beowulf is bad. Very very bad."

"What do we do?"

"Simple. They were burning the candle at both ends. We're going to burn it in the middle!"

And the book is still 10 months out! AAARGH :cry: :cry:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to Honorverse