Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests

Ivitation to discuss Call to Vengeance snippets (spoilers)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Ivitation to discuss Call to Vengeance snippets (spoiler
Post by Brigade XO   » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:10 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

We are seeing yet another case of aristocratic politicians carving out larger and larger areas of interst and control at the expence of other people who are acutaly doing their job. Get rid of the Navy (and cut it's ships in half to make what amounts to an inefetive version of a Coast Guard plus grabbing all the money for the Navy claiming it is better used in his piece of the "non-military" official security forces. Stage managed governmental hearings which are essentially which hunts about blaming people for things that have already been investigaged and understood and now the political backstabbing begins.
The only thing Breakwater is intersted in is his own good, power and breaking the power and influene of his opponents. Nothing else.
Classic.
Post by n7axw   » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:38 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

What goes around eventually comes around. Breakwater obviously doesn't realize it, but he is going to get his comeupance. And when it happens, his defenders will be few and far between... And his empire will crumble.

I wonder about Winterfall. Is his present political position one of conviction or opportunity?

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Rincewind   » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:12 am

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

n7axw wrote:What goes around eventually comes around. Breakwater obviously doesn't realize it, but he is going to get his comeupance. And when it happens, his defenders will be few and far between... And his empire will crumble.

I wonder about Winterfall. Is his present political position one of conviction or opportunity?

Don

-

Get the e-ARC & read it. It should prove quite interesting in relation to your question about Winterfall.
Post by isaac_newton   » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:53 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:What is up with this fellow called blurb and his "RMN stands on the brink of collapse" crap as a result of Oyster Bay?

I didn't get the memo.

isaac_newton wrote:isn't that relating to another topic [i.e. latest honerverse book/spoilers] - can't see how it could apply to a Manticore Assendant series book!!

that rather did my head in for a few seconds :-)

What do you mean? It is the blurb of A Call to Vengeance...

Ah - what I was confused about was the Oyster Bay bit in your comment. Thats definitely not in the Call to Venegence!!! :lol:

BTW Just past my 600th comment!
Post by n7axw   » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:23 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Spoiler comment...

Call to Vengeance released Feb 8. I got my hot little hands on the electronc download and disappeared for a few days to absorb it...yay!!! :lol:

So Winterfall does have some moral lines he won't cross... interesting how he came to that...plus the courage to do something about his convictions.

Locatelli is even more interesting in term of how he has gone from being po-ed at Travis over how Travis attempted to discipline his nephew to recognizing Travis as a valuable officer who needs to be kept in the service. It turns out that the thing holding back Travis from recognition and advancement is his relationship to Winterfall who is his half brother... My own opinion of Locatelli has changed to being more positive than in previous books.

Still room for another book or two here if someone wants to write it. Lots of loose ends to tie up such as dragging Axelrod out into the open, how Manticore learns about and discovers the terminus. It would be fun to see Travis in an independent command. I've warmed up to Travis a lot... I found the scene where he proposes to Lisa both humorous and funny. At least he proposed. I didn't propose to my wife. I simply took her shopping for rings and when we found one she liked suggested a date for the wedding. Thirty years later I'm still hearing about it...the last of the romantics I get called! :lol:

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Annachie   » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:16 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

You do realize Don that this was to discuss the snippets, not spoil the whole fucking book before it's official release.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by pappilon   » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:56 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

n7axw wrote:Spoiler comment...
It turns out that the thing holding back Travis from recognition and advancement is his relationship to Winterfall who is his half brother...
-

Pretty blatantly stated in the first book, IIRC.

n7axw wrote:So Winterfall does have some moral lines he won't cross... interesting how he came to that...plus the courage to do something about his convictions.

Was always lurking there, at least the part about moral lines, also pretty intimated in the fist book. I was nev er sure he would actually act on them, though.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Bluesqueak   » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:45 am

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

pappilon wrote:
n7axw wrote:Spoiler comment...
It turns out that the thing holding back Travis from recognition and advancement is his relationship to Winterfall who is his half brother...
-

Pretty blatantly stated in the first book, IIRC.

n7axw wrote:So Winterfall does have some moral lines he won't cross... interesting how he came to that...plus the courage to do something about his convictions.

Was always lurking there, at least the part about moral lines, also pretty intimated in the fist book. I was nev er sure he would actually act on them, though.

Agreed - Winterfell is portrayed in the first two books as someone who genuinely thinks he's working in the best interests of the Star Kingdom. That's the real reason he's so good at the compromise solution; he's not thinking 'how can I profit from this' as much as he's thinking 'how will this work?' He'll profit from getting it to work, of course.

Prove to Winterfell that he's wrong and he'll change his mind. That's the impression I get.

Hmmm... given that the Honor period books describe the Winterfells as 'Duke', I wonder if he's a future PM?
Post by pappilon   » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:51 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Bluesqueak wrote:Agreed - Winterfell is portrayed in the first two books as someone who genuinely thinks he's working in the best interests of the Star Kingdom. That's the real reason he's so good at the compromise solution; he's not thinking 'how can I profit from this' as much as he's thinking 'how will this work?' He'll profit from getting it to work, of course.

Prove to Winterfell that he's wrong and he'll change his mind. That's the impression I get.

Hmmm... given that the Honor period books describe the Winterfells as 'Duke', I wonder if he's a future PM?

He was never comfortable with his "accident of birth" which made him a peer of the realm. He was comfortable being a little vote going the wayhe was told to go.

Actually it echoes the robbery scene: First thing they did by choosing you was they picked the wrong guy, you're basically honest.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Bluesqueak   » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:09 am

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

pappilon wrote:
Bluesqueak wrote:Agreed - Winterfell is portrayed in the first two books as someone who genuinely thinks he's working in the best interests of the Star Kingdom. That's the real reason he's so good at the compromise solution; he's not thinking 'how can I profit from this' as much as he's thinking 'how will this work?' He'll profit from getting it to work, of course.

He was never comfortable with his "accident of birth" which made him a peer of the realm. He was comfortable being a little vote going the wayhe was told to go.

Actually it echoes the robbery scene: First thing they did by choosing you was they picked the wrong guy, you're basically honest.

It very much echoes the robbery scene, suggesting that Gavin and Travis are much more alike than they think. Smart, prefer being in the background, loyal to their Star Kingdom, initially underestimated. And both 'Called to Duty' - Gavin's true duty being to become one of Manticore's responsible aristocrats, not just a handy vote for others to manipulate.

Return to Honorverse