Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S and 22 guests

Ivitation to discuss Call to Vengeance snippets (spoilers)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Ivitation to discuss Call to Vengeance snippets (spoiler
Post by n7axw   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:31 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I would appreciate someone doing a sticky or a link. I confess I'm a bit limited. I don't know how.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by cthia   » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:47 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

This is a really nice snippet. A very nice snippet on the inner workings of government.

But what is the time line?

No, this is a really nice snippet! What went wrong with the plan?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:23 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I've misplaced a post to this thread. Arrrrgh!

Is A Call To Arms a prereq for this?

Roger Winton? MPARS? I see the notion of piggybacking communications was present even back then.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Bluesqueak   » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:54 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:I've misplaced a post to this thread. Arrrrgh!

Roger Winton? MPARS? I see the notion of piggybacking communications was present even back then.

Yes, the book starts immediately after A Call To Arms finishes, and the expanded version explains a lot about MPARS and Roger.

I'm coming to the conclusion that Roger isn't one of the 'great' Wintons, but rather somebody doing his best in a job he isn't suited to.
Post by n7axw   » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:52 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Bluesqueak wrote:
cthia wrote:I've misplaced a post to this thread. Arrrrgh!

Yes, the book starts immediately after A Call To Arms finishes, and the expanded version explains a lot about MPARS and Roger.

I'm coming to the conclusion that Roger isn't one of the 'great' Wintons, but rather somebody doing his best in a job he isn't suited to.

Maybe I am missing something but Roger doesn't figure into it. In this book Edward is King, recently coronated after the abdiction of his father, Michael. The hearing in the House of Lord's is over the death of Edward's son Richard.

I think I got all that right, but am open to correction if I messed it up. :D

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Bluesqueak   » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:00 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

n7axw wrote:
Bluesqueak wrote:

Maybe I am missing something but Roger doesn't figure into it. In this book Edward is King, recently coronated after the abdiction of his father, Michael. The hearing in the House of Lord's is over the death of Edward's son Richard.

I think I got all that right, but am open to correction if I messed it up. :D

Don

-

Quite right :D

My only excuse is that I'm reading House of Steel at the moment, so my mind is full of that Roger and that Elizabeth, rather than Edward and the earlier Elizabeth. Roger, of course, is one of the 'great' Wintons.

What I meant was "I'm coming to the conclusion that Edward isn't one of the 'great' Wintons, but rather somebody doing his best in a job he isn't suited to."
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:07 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

My bad. I meant to say Richard but was thinking Roger. I didn't know there was a Richard Winton.

The complete Winton family tree would be nice. There must be a version somewhere.

Post by n7axw   » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:10 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Bluesqueak wrote:
Quite right :D

My only excuse is that I'm reading House of Steel at the moment, so my mind is full of that Roger and that Elizabeth, rather than Edward and the earlier Elizabeth. Roger, of course, is one of the 'great' Wintons.

What I meant was "I'm coming to the conclusion that Edward isn't one of the 'great' Wintons, but rather somebody doing his best in a job he isn't suited to."

I'm not disagreeing with you, but would be interested in hearing how your impression was formed.

Don

_
Post by Annachie   » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:33 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

I'm not sure it matters how effective Edward was.

His sucessor was an Elizabeth.

He was going to be outshone pretty much regardless.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by isaac_newton   » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:53 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Annachie wrote:I'm not sure it matters how effective Edward was.

His sucessor was an Elizabeth.

He was going to be outshone pretty much regardless.

well - perhaps this is his chance to shine?
lets see what happens first!

Return to Honorverse