Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests

Uncompromising Honor Up on Amazon and with Spoilers

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Uncompromising Honor Up on Amazon and with Spoilers
Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:01 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

The new book is up on Amazon for October publication.

New info:

League is breaking up. That includes even core systems.

The Mandarins violate Eridani Edict and Deneb Accords.

It sounds possible key characters are killed (the blurb says Honor is angered by number of people she loved who have been killed. Of course, we already have Yawata).

Sounds like fun.
Re: Uncompromising Honor Up on Amazon and with Spoilers
Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:07 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:The new book is up on Amazon for October publication.

New info:

It sounds possible key characters are killed (the blurb says Honor is angered by number of people she loved who have been killed. Of course, we already have Yawata).

Sounds like fun.

Well, now we know who violates Beowulf. It is because Beowulf was bad. Very very bad.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:17 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

New info:

Sounds like fun.

cthia wrote:Well, now we know who violates Beowulf. It is because Beowulf was bad. Very very bad.

We do know that RFC suggested that up to ten million people would die on Beowulf due to some incident.
Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:30 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:

New info:

Sounds like fun.

cthia wrote:Well, now we know who violates Beowulf. It is because Beowulf was bad. Very very bad.

We do know that RFC suggested that up to ten million people would die on Beowulf due to some incident.

But we weren't sure who the instigator is of said incident. It could be Malign oriented or Malign instigated. It could still be. The Malign could still be the backseat drivers.

The Malign are like China and Japan. They own everything in the League.

OH My! That was bad. That was real bad. That was very very Beowulfan bad.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:45 pm

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

Wow. That is not the winning strategy. The winning strategy is to watch the Manties get framed for a EEE violation, while not breaking Edict yourself.

I don't think they make it out of this one alive.
Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:52 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

quite possibly a cat wrote:Wow. That is not the winning strategy. The winning strategy is to watch the Manties get framed for a EEE violation, while not breaking Edict yourself.

And it could still be the strategy, except that something went bad. Very very bad. Very very Demon Murphy Manticoran bad.

Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:34 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

New info:

After the fiasco that was the blurb for Shadow of Victory I don't think I would trust any blurb on Amazon.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:49 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

quite possibly a cat wrote:Wow. That is not the winning strategy. The winning strategy is to watch the Manties get framed for a EEE violation, while not breaking Edict yourself.

At this point, you come up with the problem of who will believe you.

The Mandarins, according to the blurb (and I agree with others that we can't fully trust the blurb but at this point, what else have we got?), have lost much of their control.

Framing the GA for an Eridani violation might work once and it would have to be carefully targeted. No one would believe they would hit Beowulf.

Remember this is the last book in the arc. We know there will be gap of years as we do Honoverse: The Next Generation later. The likely ending will be the destruction of the mandarins or at least the shattering of the League. That will let MAlign gain influence for the next generation.
Post by Fireflair   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:42 am

Fireflair
Captain of the List

Even the Baen website blurb was really bad for the last book. Remember it talked about Honor facing down the bad guys, which we all lamented didn't happen.

I'd take any blurbs you see with very large grains of salt.

That said, I suspect we'll see the destruction of the SL as a whole, the Harrington doctrine being executed on the successor states, the death of the Mandarins and the MAlign going into full withdraw as they fort up at Darius to prepare for events in 10 or 30 years.
Post by Theemile   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:35 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:

At this point, you come up with the problem of who will believe you.

The Mandarins, according to the blurb (and I agree with others that we can't fully trust the blurb but at this point, what else have we got?), have lost much of their control.

Framing the GA for an Eridani violation might work once and it would have to be carefully targeted. No one would believe they would hit Beowulf.

Remember this is the last book in the arc. We know there will be gap of years as we do Honoverse: The Next Generation later. The likely ending will be the destruction of the mandarins or at least the shattering of the League. That will let MAlign gain influence for the next generation.

One more Point, David mentioned that this book ends in 1923 (he gave the exact date, but I can't find it atm), so going from the date the last 3 book ended on in Octoberish 1922, the next book will only cover 6 months to a year. So don't expect the book to slowly track events - it's all going to happen really fast.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse