Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Hooking universes together... how??

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Hooking universes together... how??
Post by n7axw   » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:18 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

How does one hook universes together? It wouldn't work for worlds. Portals connecting worlds could only mesh once every revolution sinse both worlds are spinning. But universes...can't get my feeble brain around that one... can anybody else?

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Re: Hooking universes together... how??
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:11 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:How does one hook universes together? It wouldn't work for worlds. Portals connecting worlds could only mesh once every revolution sinse both worlds are spinning. But universes...can't get my feeble brain around that one... can anybody else?

Don

-

Imagine each universe is a dimension that is only slightly different from the dimension next to it. Imagine the quality being differentiated fall along an axis. Let's assume for this discussion that the axis of differentiation describes the nature of the minds ability to influence the universe. One extreme has the mind connecting almost invariably with other minds. The other extreme has the mind influencing material things. It follows that somewhere in the middle of this axis the mind influences neither.

So, the universes are stacked in a hierarchy between pure psi and pure magic with the universes in between just different enough from the extreme universe to be separate. That gradation continues until the stack hits the other extreme. So far we have described each universe as discrete and separate from each other.

Suppose that conscious minds exist on a plane that transcends physical dimensions? A mind or some defined number of minds searching its own universe and those universes near it can create a resonance between adjacent universes that form a portal. Portals aren't hooks so much as areas that some number of sentient minds most easily perceive the adjacent universe. That perception and the power and nature of sentience shapes the portal. This continues in a cascade until the two extremes are connected through a series of universes and their connected portals.

That explains why the extreme magic of Arcana where minds manipulate the physical universe generated portals much sooner than Sharona. Sharona's mind powers largely influenced connections between minds. Somewhere in the middle there will be some place similar to our universe where minds influence nothing directly.
Post by Keith_w   » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:23 am

Keith_w
Commodore

n7axw wrote:How does one hook universes together? It wouldn't work for worlds. Portals connecting worlds could only mesh once every revolution sinse both worlds are spinning. But universes...can't get my feeble brain around that one... can anybody else?

Don

-

They are Einstein-Rosen bridges, more commonly known as wormholes, and are therefore not reliant on physical connections between the individual worlds.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by n7axw   » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:01 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Keith_w wrote:

Don

-

They are Einstein-Rosen bridges, more commonly known as wormholes, and are therefore not reliant on physical connections between the individual worlds.

Yeah, but people are walking, riding through these portals on good solid earth. That is a major part of what bugs me. Wormholes in space are by way of comparison an easier concept for me to grasp.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Multiverse