Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

What has Pres. Trump done wrong so far.

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: What has Pres. Trump done wrong so far.
Post by gcomeau   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:32 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Starsaber wrote:
Michael Everett wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that mean that simply coming of age would be no guarantee of getting the vote since you would not have voted prior (being not old enough to vote and all...)?
How long before the only voters in Ohio are old folks because they think none of the youngsters deserve to be allowed on the rolls?

I think it's more that they have to register to vote again and might not know until they go to their polling place (at which point it would be too late to register for the election they went there for)

^^^ that.

They can get themselves back on the rolls, but usually too late for the current election. Which of course means "mission accomplished" for the GOP for whatever the current election is.
Post by gcomeau   » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:28 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

After yesterday, I'm all done having patience with anyone who STILL tries to deny Trump is a pure and simple racist.

Just going to state that flat out.

PS: Oh and anyone who tries to still pull out that tired old argument that Trump is only against *illegal* immigration can also STFU.
Post by Annachie   » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:15 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Canceling his trip to England to open the new Embasy was probably a poor idea.

But blaming President Obama was stupidity itself.

"Reason I cancelled my trip to London is that I am not a big fan of the Obama Administration having sold perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for “peanuts,” only to build a new one in an off location for 1.2 billion dollars.

“Bad deal. Wanted me to cut ribbon-NO!”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by gcomeau   » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:40 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Annachie wrote:Canceling his trip to England to open the new Embasy was probably a poor idea.

But blaming President Obama was stupidity itself.

"Reason I cancelled my trip to London is that I am not a big fan of the Obama Administration having sold perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for “peanuts,” only to build a new one in an off location for 1.2 billion dollars.

“Bad deal. Wanted me to cut ribbon-NO!”

Particularly when it was Bush that made the deal to relocate the embassy... :roll:
Post by Annachie   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:05 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

biochem wrote:
gcomeau wrote:In the sheer flood of general corrupt conduct going on this slipped in under the radar.

Apparently Trump personally interviewed the US attorney appointees for the districts that have jurisdiction over the Trump organization in New York, and jurisdiction over DC where most complaints against him while he's president would be deal with.

In other words, the US attorneys who would be responsible for prosecuting him or his family business if charges were leveled.

That is NOT normal. There is a principle of independence of law enforcement from the executive for a damn reason. Even giving the appearance of exerting undue influence over prosecutors erodes the system.

Take a wild guess why Trump, who I guarantee isn't running around personally interviewing all the other lower level government appointees, would feel compelled to personally and highly unethically influence those specific appointments.

They ended up installing Rudi Giuliani's law partner in New York. Oh yeah, any complaints against the Trump org are sure to be given fair and objective investigation now. :roll:

But let me guess, our resident Trump apologists think having an issue with this is "Liberal hysteria".

Giuliani was an early Trump supporter. Therefore just like every other politician in existence Trump rewards supporters.
Oh yes.

One of those people Trump interviewed, for the office that is leading the case/investigation of Deutche bank.

Is an ex D bank lawyer.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by The E   » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:08 pm

The E
Admiral

The Trumpet decides to hand out the "Fake News Awards", for reporting so far off-base that nothing else will qualify.

There are 11 items on his list. In every single case, the media outlet responsible issued corrections or retractions or apologies within days (if they even were news items in the first place, Number 5 in his list for example doesn't really qualify as "reporting", does it?).

But what of the nearly 2000 instances of Trump lying about something, saying something factually wrong, or repeating a lie or factually wrong statement? I don't remember him ever doing the due diligence we expect of journalists....
Post by Annachie   » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:58 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

You know. Many years ago this was a parody.

These days, I'm worried it's a prediction.

https://youtu.be/sFUFw1GH6ic
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Daryl   » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:02 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Took a little digging through various dictionaries, but I think I've finally come to grips with the meaning of "furloughed", as may apply to many US governmental employees in the current crisis. All descriptions agree that it means a leave of absence from the workplace, but the pay status is somewhat unclear. Apparently it could mean that a million or so US government workers could be told to go home, and possibly never be paid for the time away from work. Certainly in the short term they wouldn't get any pay.
We had a similar situation in Australia in 1975, and it caused the government to fall, as voters couldn't contemplate that so in our constitutional monarchy the UK Queen's representative sacked the government and appointed the opposition to run the country pending new elections. Still controversial today.
I didn't see any indication of the politicians losing their pay.
Post by biochem   » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:05 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

Daryl wrote:Took a little digging through various dictionaries, but I think I've finally come to grips with the meaning of "furloughed", as may apply to many US governmental employees in the current crisis. All descriptions agree that it means a leave of absence from the workplace, but the pay status is somewhat unclear. Apparently it could mean that a million or so US government workers could be told to go home, and possibly never be paid for the time away from work. Certainly in the short term they wouldn't get any pay.
We had a similar situation in Australia in 1975, and it caused the government to fall, as voters couldn't contemplate that so in our constitutional monarchy the UK Queen's representative sacked the government and appointed the opposition to run the country pending new elections. Still controversial today.
I didn't see any indication of the politicians losing their pay.

This happens every few years in the USA when the politicians feel the urge to do some dramatic grandstanding. Last time was 2013 and the employees got paid eventually. Congress doesn't have to pay them but it looks bad if they don't.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/federalnew ... efits/amp/

I rather like the Vatican solution for electing a pope. It should be used in these sorts of cases. I.e. Lock them in and don't let them out until an agreement is reached.
Post by gcomeau   » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:47 am

gcomeau
Admiral

biochem wrote:This happens every few years in the USA when the politicians feel the urge to do some dramatic grandstanding.

A party walking *themselves* into a shutdown when they control every branch of government has never happened in US history.

This is not business as usual. This is dysfunction on never before seen scales.

Return to Politics