Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Deadly Dangerous Drones

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Deadly Dangerous Drones
Post by cthia   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:49 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Deadly Dangerous Drones
____More than a little frightening____

What are we going to do about these pesky things? I own several drones. I fly them on my own properties. I've lost a couple in Fuerteventura, the UK and Martha's vineyard. But these are on remote places where the only things I could harm or spy on are birds and fish.

These things are dangerous. It will only be a matter of time before some sort of horrendous deed is perpetrated by a terrorist with an armed drone. Heck, they might not be suicide missions anymore. Imagine one of these things coming over a football stadium firing at will.

They're dangerous to planes. Our privacy is threatened and laws are lagging behind the technology, as always. Form follows function.

We had better get a handle on it fast. Required reading.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Deadly Dangerous Drones
Post by cthia   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:57 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

A terrorist with Charlene as a girlfriend would be worse than Bonnie and Clyde.

I remember as a kid wanting someone to make a remote controlled plane without a string on it. I wish someone would have slapped the shit out of me.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Imaginos1892   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:45 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

We'll need anti-drones. Arm them with plastic nets, harmless to anything but other drones.

And here I thought you were talking about one of my ideas — remote-controlled A-10 attack aircraft. Now THAT'S a Deadly Drone!
———————————
Don't fart in front of the fireplace!
Post by The E   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:07 pm

The E
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:We'll need anti-drones. Arm them with plastic nets, harmless to anything but other drones.

No, what you want is more Eagles and Falcons. Territorial birds that get easily annoyed and see drones as irritants.
Post by Daryl   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:58 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Apparently there are actual drone guns, that fire directional EMP pulses to scramble individual drones. The photo I saw looked somewhat like a leaf blower.
If one comes spying on my rural retreat the last thing its camera will send is a cloud coming quickly from two 12 gauge barrels.
Post by aairfccha   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:55 pm

aairfccha
Commander

cthia wrote:They're dangerous to planes.
That aspect has apparently been oversold a little...

The Register: UK drone collision study didn't show airliner window penetration

In reality, the full study – carried out on behalf of the government by defence R&D company Qinetiq and testing firm Natural Impacts – found that for airliners, the risk posed was far less alarming than both the union and the Department for Transport had claimed. Instead of penetrating cockpit windows, rigorous tests of drones launched against Airbus A320 windscreen panes, fitted to a testbed cockpit, found that drone-airliner collisions will crack but not penetrate such windows.

[...]

The one test scenario in which drone-like items did penetrate an airliner windscreen involved scrap cockpit window panes obtained by Natural Impacts being “loosely supported at representative angles with laboratory clamps” before having drone-like components fired at them, as part of a “de-risking” process before the actual tests. No complete drones were launched at these windscreens. Yet government officials cited these firings in their press release as if they were part of the contracted study, under the term “Airliner-B”.
Post by cthia   » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:40 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I'm more concerned about these mechanical geese being sucked through engines. See video.

Post by cthia   » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:49 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

What about operating drones while drunk.

I don't fly my drones near people other than the people flying drones with me on my arm properties. There has been too many incidents of near misses on the ground. People can lose an eye or worse if its a baby in a crib. It's not a problem until one slams upside your head.

Slamming into someone's back yard during a cookout can cause grease fires and burns if these mechanical geese crash land into hot pots of grease.

Post by isaac_newton   » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:16 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

I dont know if you guys have heard of the BBC series 'The Detectorists'.

This is 3 series [6 episodes/series] lovely, gentle commedy about 2 guys who are metal detectorists, and their adventures/mishaps with various friends and enemies.

Anyway - in the final episode of the final series [tiny spoiler, but not in the main plot sequence] - a drone is 'flown' by and then crashes next to its erstwhile pilots.

Highly recommended.

PS the series has brilliant theme music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q58Gm18-IMY

Return to Politics