Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

You've just coquered America.

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
You've just coquered America.
Post by Annachie   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:04 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Congratulations. You've just conquered the US of A.

What change would you make before handing the country back over to democrocy?

Elections. I'd remove the electoral college system, and make all elections proportional representation.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Re: You've just coquered America.
Post by cthia   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:57 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

You can't do that Annachie. Well, you could. But if you do, then you can't give it back to Democracy, unless you suffer the consequences demanded by the moral majority who would want you to remain in office. Starting with me. I'll be your first vote!

Electoral College my ass. Had to have been a notion thought up by Collegiates, no matter what everyone says. And you know that most people were smoking pot while in college, no matter what everyone says.

Electoral College - A means of indirectly electing the president.

What!?

A direct representation calls for a direct election.

I'd add in a clause - the ability to remove a President on the grounds of irreconcilable differences.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by noblehunter   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:59 am

noblehunter
Captain (Junior Grade)

Obviously the electoral college goes. I'd kill the more egregious forms of gerrymandering and probably make sure the rural/urban sort has at least some connection to population density. And set consistent rules for voting and such.

Eminent domain and the commerce clause would be clarified.

The real question is would I take existing political realities into account when I re-write the rest of the Constitution. Do I accept the original principle of very limited central government? Or do I say screw and focus on reasonable government instead? Decisions, decisions.
Post by cthia   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:14 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I'd also like the voting process to be made fair to all concerned. I'm sick of hearing my black friends complain about the appalling, blatant attempts to kill the black vote.

My voting district has so many booths I can fall asleep in one of 'em and not get noticed. In black communities, there are usually less than five voting machines and two of them are out of order. All across the country. Then lines back up and the deadline hits them. I saw it for myself.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Imaginos1892   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:41 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Annachie wrote:Congratulations. You've just conquered the US of A.

Elections. I'd remove the electoral college system, and make all elections proportional representation.

And then the country is ruled by the nine largest cities, because they contain over half the population. NOT a solution.
Post by Annachie   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:13 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:
Annachie wrote:Congratulations. You've just conquered the US of A.

And then the country is ruled by the nine largest cities, because they contain over half the population. NOT a solution.
Strangely, it would ve by the person the majority of people voted for.

Do you not like the idea of having a majority decision making the decisions?

Secondly, since I wouldn't be touching the senate or congress, they would still act as a balancing force. (Well, I would make it illegal to vote for someone else as routinely happens now. But that's a minor procedural change)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:05 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:And then the country is ruled by the nine largest cities, because they contain over half the population. NOT a solution.

Do you not like the idea of having a majority decision making the decisions?

I would guess that you live in one of those "nine largest cities" and have no clue about the needs of the rest of the country.

The US is not and never has been a Democracy. It is a Republic and purposely designed to prevent large population centers from riding rough-shod over the rural regions of the country.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Annachie   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:49 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

I would guess that you live in one of those "nine largest cities" and have no clue about the needs of the rest of the country.

The country town I live in, in Australia, has a population of less than 30.

My kids are litetally the only children in town.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:55 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:The country town I live in, in Australia, has a population of less than 30.

So you are content with Sydney (or insert large city of your choice) making all of the rules for your rural district? Surely those city dwellers understand all of the problems and opportunities inherent in small town circumstances?
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Annachie   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:40 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Annachie wrote:The country town I live in, in Australia, has a population of less than 30.

So you are content with Sydney (or insert large city of your choice) making all of the rules for your rural district? Surely those city dwellers understand all of the problems and opportunities inherent in small town circumstances?
Nearest big town, at around 35k population, is a 45 minute drive away.

My local federal member is a government minister.
Going back to the 1970's/1980's, it would have been a Prime Minister. (Well before I moved here)

My former local state member was the state Premier.

Plenty of other ministers and shadow ministers at both state and federal level over the years.

So strangely, by your standards, the big cities do not dominate.

But then, in the US, that would be part of the job of the Senate/House wouldn't it?

Actually, it amazes me how many potential problems only exist in the USA, which aren't problems in the rest of the western world. It's like people make these potential problems up to protect their own misconceptions.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to Politics