Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 16 guests

New Book Snippets

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
New Book Snippets
Post by jlrice54   » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:46 pm

jlrice54
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Any news on when we might see snippets from the new book. Uncompromising Honor snippets are already posted and the publication dates aren’t that far apart? I figured His Celeryness is probably running a bit behind schedule but I was just curious.
Re: New Book Snippets
Post by Randomiser   » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:54 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

No, basically. The most recent Honorverse snippet was posted on September 28th. RFC last posted on October 5th and last visited the forums on November 14th. Not even a Christmas greeting. Seems like he has pretty much given up on the forums. Shame. this used to be a very lively, friendly community. With no fresh input or TLC from the author it is just fading away. I certainly don't visit it nearly as much as I used to. I'm sure it is the same for many.

I haven't heard of any new health problems and he did appear at Honorcon at the end of October, so there is no reason to assume any fresh difficulties.
Post by johnb   » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:21 pm

johnb

There have been bigger gaps and the snippets did start unusually early for a publication date well over a year later. Maybe a bit too early?

I'm not giving up on RFC any time soon.

I suspect he has two options either post on the forum or write books. He had admitted to getting drawn in once he starts on the forum. Any forum can eat up huge amounts of time.

Then again due to health problems there was a big gap in the production of any book. I expect that there is a lot of catching up to do, after all David's main business is writing books and he will have committed to dates. Publishers are a business too and missed dates mean holes in production schedules. They can of course be understanding BUT miss too many dates by too big a margin and reputations suffer.

So, I trust that David and family are keeping well and that book writing is well under way.

John
Post by Morden   » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:36 am

Morden
Lieutenant Commander

Main snippets don't really start until 6 months or so before release so you've got a while to wait. He's a busy man and given the choice of him feeding us snippets and engaging with us to the degree that he does when he gets sucked in... or him writing new books for us, well I know which option I favour.

I'd be surprised if hes even started the new safehold book yet though, or if he has it wont be far enough in or polished enough for him to feel comfortable feeding us tidbits (we're all a bit voracious and if he starts we'll expect more)
Post by NervousEnergy   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:53 pm

NervousEnergy
Captain (Junior Grade)

Morden wrote:Main snippets don't really start until 6 months or so before release so you've got a while to wait. He's a busy man and given the choice of him feeding us snippets and engaging with us to the degree that he does when he gets sucked in... or him writing new books for us, well I know which option I favour.

I'd be surprised if hes even started the new safehold book yet though, or if he has it wont be far enough in or polished enough for him to feel comfortable feeding us tidbits (we're all a bit voracious and if he starts we'll expect more)

I'd be surprised if he hadn't. It was the next book up for writing according to the (now apparently deleted) 'About the schedule' thread. Even if he's a couple of months behind the book should be well underway, since drafts for the HH novel were completed some time ago.
Post by Randomiser   » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:38 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

NervousEnergy wrote:
Morden wrote:Main snippets don't really start until 6 months or so before release so you've got a while to wait. He's a busy man and given the choice of him feeding us snippets and engaging with us to the degree that he does when he gets sucked in... or him writing new books for us, well I know which option I favour.

I'd be surprised if he hadn't. It was the next book up for writing according to the (now apparently deleted) 'About the schedule' thread. Even if he's a couple of months behind the book should be well underway, since drafts for the HH novel were completed some time ago.

Yep. The 'About the Schedule'post said that the target delivery date for the next Safehold book was the end of November 2017. On that schedule he would be into the sequel to Sword of the South and/or to A Call to Vengeance by now. However the disappearance of that post rather than it just being un-stickied, may well suggest that things are not going as fast as he had intended. His continued absence from the forums may be another straw in the wind pointing in that direction.
Post by JBNL1972   » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:35 pm

JBNL1972

Randomiser wrote:However the disappearance of that post rather than it just being un-stickied, may well suggest that things are not going as fast as he had intended. His continued absence from the forums may be another straw in the wind pointing in that direction.

It has simply been un-stickied and/or moved to the David's Dimension subforum:http://forums.davidweber.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8821
Post by n7axw   » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:30 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Drak is posting snippets for Call to Vengeance in the snippets forum. That could well turn out good news for Safehold and the promise of regular snippets to come...

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:51 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

jlrice54 wrote:Any news on when we might see snippets from the new book. Uncompromising Honor snippets are already posted and the publication dates aren’t that far apart? I figured His Celeryness is probably running a bit behind schedule but I was just curious.

I'm just gonna take a (belated) minute to bask in the fact that "His Celeryness" has apparently percolated to people who are not me. How delightful!

::smirks like a 'cat in a celery patch::
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."

Return to Safehold