Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Wencit' Status <possible spoilers>

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Wencit' Status <possible spoilers>
Post by gclarkii   » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:20 am

gclarkii
Midshipman

Greetings,

One thing that has nagged at me through out the series is what exactly Wencit is. Yes, he is a wild wizard, last Head of the Council of Ottovar and a member of the Council of Semkirk.

Could he be a Champion of Semkirk? (And we know he has them from the devil Anshakar "Champions of ... Semkirk ...") I just think it's strange that a God would not be helping him out, even in the background. That blue glow has been known to stick to him every now and then.

GB

ps I think his protection of Leeanna comes from the simple fact that she has the potential to be wild wizard. After all, that protection ONLY extends to attacking her using the Art. “You will never—ever—again attempt to attack Leeana Hanathafressa with the art.” from "War Maid's Choice". I can not think of thing more likely to trigger it than to be attacked by the Art.
Re: Wencit' Status <possible spoilers>
Post by thanatos   » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:52 pm

thanatos
Captain (Junior Grade)

gclarkii wrote:Greetings,

One thing that has nagged at me through out the series is what exactly Wencit is. Yes, he is a wild wizard, last Head of the Council of Ottovar and a member of the Council of Semkirk.

Could he be a Champion of Semkirk? (And we know he has them from the devil Anshakar "Champions of ... Semkirk ...") I just think it's strange that a God would not be helping him out, even in the background. That blue glow has been known to stick to him every now and then.

GB

ps I think his protection of Leeanna comes from the simple fact that she has the potential to be wild wizard. After all, that protection ONLY extends to attacking her using the Art. “You will never—ever—again attempt to attack Leeana Hanathafressa with the art.” from "War Maid's Choice". I can not think of thing more likely to trigger it than to be attacked by the Art.

Just as Carnadosa does not employ tools or even champions, who she would imbue with some her power, I think that Semkirk (who specifically hates her guts) does not employ champions per se and for the same reason. The wizards of the Ottovaran Empire swore their oaths to Semkirk, just as the magi do in Norfressa. So I don't think Semkirk needs to use champions. RFC has made it clear that the Gods of Light are different in their relationship with mortals. Some don't interfere at all like Chemalka, some only have priests and acolytes (like Kontifrio) and some have both priests and champions (like Tomanak and Lillinara).

Also, I think its been established why Wencit was protecting Leeana from any sort of attack by Kontovaran wizards. He wanted her to give birth to a human-Hradani hybrid who could wield the wild magic in order to take control of the spells that strafed Kontovar when his magic began to fade as his time on Orfressa drew to a close.
Post by gclarkii   » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:27 pm

gclarkii
Midshipman

thanatos wrote:
gclarkii wrote:Greetings,

GB

Just as Carnadosa does not employ tools or even champions, who she would imbue with some her power, I think that Semkirk (who specifically hates her guts) does not employ champions per se and for the same reason. The wizards of the Ottovaran Empire swore their oaths to Semkirk, just as the magi do in Norfressa. So I don't think Semkirk needs to use champions. RFC has made it clear that the Gods of Light are different in their relationship with mortals. Some don't interfere at all like Chemalka, some only have priests and acolytes (like Kontifrio) and some have both priests and champions (like Tomanak and Lillinara).

Also, I think its been established why Wencit was protecting Leeana from any sort of attack by Kontovaran wizards. He wanted her to give birth to a human-Hradani hybrid who could wield the wild magic in order to take control of the spells that strafed Kontovar when his magic began to fade as his time on Orfressa drew to a close.

Well the devil did say he had killed champions of Semkirk, so that is why I thought it was possible. Plus there is that blue whatever that has been known to stick to him or at least his sword.

As far as Leeana goes, it was only attacks with the Art that would trigger his response.

If his only need was to protect her as a mother, then he would have warned them off of every method of attack. He also would have protected Bahzell. He did neither.

GB
Post by thanatos   » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:53 pm

thanatos
Captain (Junior Grade)

gclarkii wrote:Well the devil did say he had killed champions of Semkirk, so that is why I thought it was possible. Plus there is that blue whatever that has been known to stick to him or at least his sword.

As far as Leeana goes, it was only attacks with the Art that would trigger his response.

If his only need was to protect her as a mother, then he would have warned them off of every method of attack. He also would have protected Bahzell. He did neither.

GB

I'd forgotten about that so I guess its possible. Yet even so, I have a feeling his champions are different. Lillinara has three types of champions (which are called "arms"), one for each aspect of the goddess. It stands to reason that Semkirk's champions are different in some respect, i.e. they might not be wizards or magi at all, but rather brilliant scholars imbued with even greater powers of reasoning and deduction (as Semkirk is the God of wisdom and mental and physical discipline).

It's true that Wencit would only intervene in the case of use of the art against Leeana. However, she is a fairly competent fighter in her own right, a commander of women warriors and married to a champion of Tomanak. Between her troops, her husband and her own skills I don't think Wencit was too worried about anything besides an arcane attack.
Post by DirkF   » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:54 pm

DirkF
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Every since reading the parts of SotS about what dragons are and how the dragon barrier works I had a completely different guess about Wencit.
I think he is a dragon that transformed his body to human, but still has the special dragon properties about time.

That would explain so many things about his knowledge and why he is so guarded about his action, as well as why the dragons would have allowed him to put up the barrier in the first place and more.
Post by akira.taylor   » Fri May 04, 2018 11:34 pm

akira.taylor
Captain (Junior Grade)

DirkF wrote:Every since reading the parts of SotS about what dragons are and how the dragon barrier works I had a completely different guess about Wencit.
I think he is a dragon that transformed his body to human, but still has the special dragon properties about time.

That would explain so many things about his knowledge and why he is so guarded about his action, as well as why the dragons would have allowed him to put up the barrier in the first place and more.

It is worth remembering that he noted in Sword Brother that he didn't want a dragon - they were too hard to deal with. Doesn't disprove your point, but does complicate things (and what author likes complication? ^_^).
Post by John the Red   » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:30 pm

John the Red
Midshipman

I was always puzzled by Wencit's ability to see so
far in advance to forstall certain evil individuals.
Several of the ideas I see in the Forum would
answer those questions; however, part of the fun of reading this series is the anticipation of how Weber unfolds what he wants to expose to us, his readers. I am torn by my curiosity and by my willingness to wait
until all is revealed. Oh, what a dilemma! But, I
digress... :lol:
Post by feyhunde   » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:44 pm

feyhunde
Lieutenant Commander

To quote Starslip http://starslip.chainsawsuit.com/starslip/starslip-number-961/

Did you use time?

Wencit is clearly able to at least see a different timeline. I believe he's actually from a future, and went back. Wencit has mentioned time travel experiments in the old empire, and it would give the information necessary to set things up.

I think Gwynna and Kenhodan may yet have a child, whose link to the magic field and imperial blood would allow a wild wizard to arise.

Heck of the known wild wizards we've been told about, only Wencit was not clearly of the blood.
Post by bkwormlisa   » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:32 am

bkwormlisa
Commander

feyhunde wrote:To quote Starslip http://starslip.chainsawsuit.com/starslip/starslip-number-961/

Did you use time?

Wencit is clearly able to at least see a different timeline. I believe he's actually from a future, and went back. Wencit has mentioned time travel experiments in the old empire, and it would give the information necessary to set things up.

I think Gwynna and Kenhodan may yet have a child, whose link to the magic field and imperial blood would allow a wild wizard to arise.

Heck of the known wild wizards we've been told about, only Wencit was not clearly of the blood.

Gwynna and Kenhodan can't have a child; Gwynna is sterile. Unless you want to assume that she can use her mage powers to change that, it's not possible.

All of the hints in books 3 and 4 indicated that Bahzell and Leena's child would be a wild wizard, but instead she turned out to be an incredibly powerful mage. But I've seen a couple of comments now about her being a wild mage or wild wizard instead. Is there any textev for that?
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:55 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Some have speculated that Wencit's comment about half-breeds like Gwynna may have been true in the past but might not be true "today".

While Gwynna is obviously a powerful mage, IIRC there's no evidence against her also being a potential wild wizard.

bkwormlisa wrote:
Gwynna and Kenhodan can't have a child; Gwynna is sterile. Unless you want to assume that she can use her mage powers to change that, it's not possible.

All of the hints in books 3 and 4 indicated that Bahzell and Leena's child would be a wild wizard, but instead she turned out to be an incredibly powerful mage. But I've seen a couple of comments now about her being a wild mage or wild wizard instead. Is there any textev for that?
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]

Return to War God