Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S and 45 guests

Current net worth of Grayson Skydomes?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Current net worth of Grayson Skydomes?
Post by Erls   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:15 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

I seem to recall the Detweilers discussing the assassination of Klaus Hauptman at one point. And, part of the reason they refused to go through with it was that Stacy was as anti-slave as Klaus is, and that Honor was Stacy's beneficiary. And, I think it was mentioned that giving the largest fortune of the SKM to the holder of another of the 10 largest (I think it was second or third, but can't remember or be bothered to go look) who was also as anti-slave wouldn't be good in any way, shape, or form.

My take is that with the fortune her prize money gave her - and then the boost her Grayson investments added in (tax free in the SKM) - plus the financier's "cunning investments" is that she is solidly within the top 10 of the SKM wealth list.
Post by Frankjg   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:56 pm

Frankjg
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I believe it is stated somewhere in War of Honor. That during the peace between the two wars.. Grayson Skydomes became firmly entrenched in the Star Kingdoms top 500 corporations. With the Hauptmann cartel clearly in the #1 position with its nearest 3 rivals needing to merge together to equal it.
Post by NHBL   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:18 am

NHBL
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

ldwechsler wrote:
saber964 wrote:
And I should point out that after a certain point, the number of billions doesn't really matter except as a marker.

After a certain point, billions, for many people, become a marker. Harrington looks at what she can do with it, and if you have enough billions, you can do things like bankroll a squadron, or finance expensive projects that no sane corporation would touch, but that have great potential, if they pan out.

Mesa had zillions, and developed the streak drive and the spider drive--who knows what else could be found...
Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:41 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

NHBL wrote:
saber964 wrote:

After a certain point, billions, for many people, become a marker. Harrington looks at what she can do with it, and if you have enough billions, you can do things like bankroll a squadron, or finance expensive projects that no sane corporation would touch, but that have great potential, if they pan out.

Mesa had zillions, and developed the streak drive and the spider drive--who knows what else could be found...

Mesa was actually a nation. The MAlign was a group of planets at this point.

HH might invest in research but her husband is in charge of all of that on Manticore.

And remember that the streak drive and spider drive are not all that vital. North Korea has put together nukes and missiles but at the sacrifice of about everything else.

So developing a few new weapon systems can be done...particularly if you are not looking to directly compete. The Detweilers know they can't directly fight the Grand Alliance. But create a few secret weapons and you can get some things done that seem impossible...until the enemy finds out.

Manticore already knows about the spider drive. That's in textev. Once they know what to look for, they will figure out ways to fight it.

As for the streak drive, Simoes can give them most of the answers.

Honor will be doing a lot of work with her money but why spend when you've got Hemphill and Foraker doing the tough work?
Post by jdtinIA   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:21 pm

jdtinIA

saber964 wrote:
Fireflair wrote:To answer your second question first, we know from text ev that Sky Domes was impacted by the strike. Black Rock was decimated, along with the shipyards. A lot of skilled workers died in Grayson's space industry. That will absolutely have been a hit on the value of Sky Domes.

We have nothing from his Celeriness concerning her net value, but take it as a given that she's in the top 1% of Manticore society for wealth, now. She hob nobs with the wealthy and affluent. Much of her wealth is tied up in resources, such as the section of the asteroid belt she was given, or the land the Harrington House is on. But she also has vast cash resources, a great deal of which you can be certain she has plowed back into Sky Domes and Blackrock, especially after the strike happened. She'd take care of her people that way.

Two problems the Harrington freehold is privately owned by Alfred Harrington and the chunk of the asteroid belt is entailed to the Earldom of Harrington and is owned by her cousin Lady Sarah Harrington, Third Countess Harrington.

I thought Devon got the inheiritance when Honor "died"?
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:00 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

jdtinIA wrote:I thought Devon got the inheiritance when Honor "died"?

He did, but he was at the birthday party in Yawata Crossing. Sarah inherited from him.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by jdtinIA   » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:53 pm

jdtinIA

Weird Harold wrote:
jdtinIA wrote:I thought Devon got the inheiritance when Honor "died"?

He did, but he was at the birthday party in Yawata Crossing. Sarah inherited from him.

Thanks,
Must have missed that. Darn, now I have to reread the series to see what else I missed.

Return to Honorverse