Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests

[Spoiler - UH] utube snippet

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
[Spoiler - UH] utube snippet
Post by JohnRoth   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:00 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

senna wrote:For those who couldn't go. Someone has posted a video on RFC's YouTube channel of him reading a chapter of UH whilst at Honorcon.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VFgPgH9Clrc

I'm moving this from the snippet index where it was originally posted. As far as I can tell, this probably takes place in October or November, so it's either before or simultaneous with Admiral Henke's assault on Mesa.

Very interesting plot twist here.... :shock:
Re: [Spoiler - UH] utube snippet
Post by Direwolf18   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:40 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

I stumbled into this today as well. I am actually not sure how I feel on the plot twist to be honest. I mean the after affects where really really funny, especially with RFC actually reading it.

Speaking of, I am normally not an audio book guy, but if there was an RFC Audio book with commentary, I would buy the ever living crap out of it.
Post by Frankjg   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:31 pm

Frankjg
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

SWEET MOTHER OF GOD :o :o

What a snippet. What an ending. I WANT THE BOOK NOW.

This was an amazing clip.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH DAVID.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.
Post by dlewis0160   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:32 pm

dlewis0160
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

My buddy Damien Harahap!!!! :lol:
Post by TangoLima   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:12 am

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

Beyond good.
What a treat !
Makes up for a lot of missed snippets.

E-Arc now pretty please.
Post by Eagleeye   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:22 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

Please, could someone of the native english speakers here put together a transcription of the reading and put it online here? Or maybe integrate subtitles to the youtube-clip? After all, it is some kind of official snippet, read in public by the MWW himself - so there shouldn't be any legal stumbleblocks, at least as I can see it. And for us foreign language people - we're generally doing easier with reading foreign language (=thats english for us) texts than with hearing them.

Thank you in advance!
Post by George J. Smith   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:35 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

For those that can afford them, google have earbuds that translate in real time.

There is also a UK start-up company on kickstarter, (reviewed on the BBC website a few months ago) but I can't remember all the details at the moment.

Whether the poor quality audio on the clip could be accurately translated is another matter though.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by aairfccha   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:05 pm

aairfccha
Commander

Eagleeye wrote:Please, could someone of the native english speakers here put together a transcription of the reading and put it online here? Or maybe integrate subtitles to the youtube-clip? After all, it is some kind of official snippet, read in public by the MWW himself - so there shouldn't be any legal stumbleblocks, at least as I can see it. And for us foreign language people - we're generally doing easier with reading foreign language (=thats english for us) texts than with hearing them.

Thank you in advance!

Youtube auto-generates subtitles and via the right websites you can download those as srt.

http://www.yousubtitles.com/

That's at least a start but then someone has to strip out timecodes and formatting (easy with search and replace) as well as fix obvious errors like alignment being transcribed as Atlanta. This is not helped by the sometimes rather poor audio quality.
Post by Down Under   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:25 pm

Down Under
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

aairfccha wrote
Youtube auto-generates subtitles and via the right websites you can download those as srt.

That's at least a start but then someone has to strip out timecodes and formatting (easy with search and replace) as well as fix obvious errors like alignment being transcribed as Atlanta. This is not helped by the sometimes rather poor audio quality

Thanks for this info from someone who @ 75 is somewhat hard of hearing and therefore does not enjoy videos without sub-titles

Downunder
Post by aairfccha   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:50 pm

aairfccha
Commander

Down Under wrote:
aairfccha wrote

That's at least a start but then someone has to strip out timecodes and formatting (easy with search and replace) as well as fix obvious errors like alignment being transcribed as Atlanta. This is not helped by the sometimes rather poor audio quality

Thanks for this info from someone who @ 75 is somewhat hard of hearing and therefore does not enjoy videos without sub-titles

Downunder

In general that's more help than with this video though. I am hearing well and I still occasionally have to guess what he's actually saying - and the text recognition algorithm does the same but without a Honorverse specific dictionary.

Return to Honorverse