Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests

Characters aging before the next story arc.

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Characters aging before the next story arc.
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:11 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Michae wrote:I think any new Luddite Jihad would be bordering on suicidal ...

What gives the impression that religious fanatics are dissuaded by the prospect of suicide as long as they can take an unbeliever or two along as an honor guard?
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:12 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

As RFC posted, the next ARC starts 20-25 years later with the discovery of the Lost Testament of Schueler. That discovery as the starting point of the next arc suggests it is not a Luddite jihad. The reason for the upcoming war will likely be more geopolitical with some serious religious excuses. It makes more sense to me that Schueler's testament will question the primacy of the CoGA or perhaps even its underlying validity.

Harchong will in all likelihood still remain one entity, but with a rather strained unity. They become the foundation of one side of the dispute.

I can see Siddermark being torn apart by a potential theological disagreement. Effectively a non-combatant.

It would be interesting if the next story arc occurred in Howard with Harchong and Desnair battling Silkiah, Dohlar and Charis. Denair falls into civil war with elements wanting to encroach on Silkiah and North watch. Charis sends aid to Silkiah per their treaty with Dohlar assisting. Harchong seeks to conquer Desnair and they send their troops to bolster elements supporting their side of the theological dispute.

Perhaps Zion is also torn with strife and remains a non-combatant. North Harchong may well move to assert their control over Zion and the CoGA. Siddermark might well support Zion against Harchong, but not the war in Desnair.

There could well be 4-5 factions to the wars that follow the discovery of Schueler's Testament. Each side using the discovery to support their geopolitical desires.

I can't wait to see how the story unfolds.
Post by xellos^_-   » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:38 pm

xellos^_-
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

shayvaan wrote:I would imagine that the next series may just well start with Duchairn's death (probably with Maigwair already dead or retired).

This would be a good way to set up a suitably corrupt replacement.

why does every think the church will go corrupt again that soon? At the end of book9 2/3 of the vicars are gone (dead or retire). Duchairns is going to elevate almost 2/3 of the new vicars. I think at this point anyone he elevate will probably be in the reformist camp and will have his background gone over with a fine tooth comb. It would make no logical sense for the church to go right back to business as usual just after 20 years. It would probably take a few generations before the rot start to set in again.
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:39 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

xellos^_- wrote:why does every think the church will go corrupt again that soon?

1919 to 1939.

Also the needs of the plot. A revanchist COGA is the simplest antagonist to pit against the protagonists.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:04 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

More likely to be North Harchong as the opponents - they are the new arch conservatives
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by WeberFan   » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:50 am

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

fallsfromtrees wrote:More likely to be North Harchong as the opponents - they are the new arch conservatives

I think I agree with you, FFT.
Post by mhicks   » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:23 pm

mhicks
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

6L6 wrote:How far will the inner circle widen by that time?

Maybe the problem comes from someone inside the circle having lose lips / or runs to the temple and defects :shock: this causes the church to break the glass cabinet that is only supposed to be opened in emergencies and... and this is how we get the Lost Testament. as a way the Church tries to fight the truth that is coming to light.
Post by PlaysWithBees   » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:57 pm

PlaysWithBees
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I think Seamount will be working advanced r&d by this time either based in the Cave or as another VP in the computer.
Post by n7axw   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:36 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I see three major winners in next 25 yr. S. Harchong will secede from N Harchong. Differences between the two are too hard to hold together. Dohlar will prosper as its economy modernizes. Siddarmark the same.

Losers are N. Harchong, the Temple Lands and Desnair due to excessive stick in the mud conservatism.

EOC settles in and consolidates its empire as prosperity broadens.

As for characters, Stohnar, Archbishop Mikael, Duchairn, Thirsk and possibly Sir Dunkyn are gone. Cayleb, Sharleyn, Irys, Hektor, Daivyn, Eastshare, BGV, Howsmyn are all young enough to be still with us. Getting a bit older but still with us will be Nynian and Sandaria. I'm a bit foggier on Seamount. Don't know how old he is.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Hildum   » Wed May 30, 2018 9:55 pm

Hildum
Captain (Junior Grade)

Adding my 2¢, it is pretty clear from earlier comments that there will not be a COGA PICA. However, the reason for the name change from COG to COGA has not been revealed as far as I can recall. I assume this is somehow related to the thing under the temple that will wake up.

Just a thought. Given that somebody published a clear timetable, it is not outside the realm of possibility that other things might wake up at the same time. We do not know, for example, that all the opposition industrial modules were eliminated. It is possible that some AI guided robot might exist.

Personally, I would have thought that Merlin would arrange for an industrial module in whatever asteroid belt might exist to allow for larger scale manufacturing and the manufacturing of something than can deal with the OBS. (I am not sure I would feel okay what the OBS having a simple off switch - in Langhorne's place, I would require a significant authentication and authorization process to allow commands to be given. That is not something that Merlin is going to be able to get around.)

Return to Safehold