Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Should the United States Emulate the Soviets

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Should the United States Emulate the Soviets
Post by Senior Chief   » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:30 am

Senior Chief
Commander

Should the United States of America Emulate the Soviets?

I am upset and disappointed that the U.S. Military (U.S. Government) is not planning to rename ships that recall Confederate heroes and victories – the cruiser Chancellorsville immediately comes to mind.

But slavery – which the Confederacy fought to preserve – was such an abhorrent practice that the U.S. Military also should rename ships that honor slave owners: The aircraft carrier George Washington and the attack submarine Jefferson City, that locale having been named for another slave owner.

Also, we must determine if any U.S. military bases or installations carry the names of Confederate heroes. Fort Lee, Fort Pickett, Fort Bragg, Fort Hood, Fort Gordon, Fort Benning, and Camp Beauregard come to mind all named after Confederate Generals. Then of course there is the tradition of the military to name equipment after Confederate heroes; i.e. M3 Lee medium tank named after Robert E. Lee and the M3 Stuart light tank named after J.E.B Stuart. I am sure there are more.

And, overseas schools operated by the Department of Defense must be purged of any text books that mention slavery – we must not expose the children of service personnel to such a reprehensible practice.

If there is any doubt about how to purge these names, places, and practices from our history, one need only look to the methods that the Soviet dictators employed to rewrite that nation’s history. They had text books and encyclopedias rewritten, deleted disgraced heroes from photographs, renamed towns and cities, etc. Dissidents were executed, jailed or exiled to Siberia. Should we; the other % of the population allow this to happen? I say no. How do you learn from history if you erase the past?
Re: Should the United States Emulate the Soviets
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:54 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Senior Chief wrote:Should the United States of America Emulate the Soviets?

No.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by gcomeau   » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:32 am

gcomeau
Admiral

Sigh...

George Washington is honored as the father of the country. It is why there are statues and memorials. That is the achievement being honored. It is also an unfortunate historical reality that he owned slaves and that should not be glossed over.

Confederate generals are honored for fighting a war against the United States for the cause of establishing a permanent white supremacist slave owning state. That is why those statues to them exist, that is their claim to historical significance. That's. It. THAT is the achievement being honored.

Contemplate the fucking difference.
Post by Dilandu   » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:44 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Frankly, the habit to rename things after the political leadership changed never were a good part of Soviet history... Why are you trying to emulate our not-so-good habits instead of our better habits? ;)
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by dscott8   » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:57 am

dscott8
Commodore

Perhaps we should ban all mention of the Christian Bible, since it contains extensive discussion of the rules of slavery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_and_slavery
Post by Senior Chief   » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:16 pm

Senior Chief
Commander

gcomeau wrote:Sigh...

George Washington is honored as the father of the country. It is why there are statues and memorials. That is the achievement being honored. It is also an unfortunate historical reality that he owned slaves and that should not be glossed over.

Confederate generals are honored for fighting a war against the United States for the cause of establishing a permanent white supremacist slave owning state. That is why those statues to them exist, that is their claim to historical significance. That's. It. THAT is the achievement being honored.

Strange I never mentioned memorials or statues. Perhaps you should contemplate how to read and not read into... and most people prefer not to use profanity. AND NO THE UNITED STATES SHOULD NOT EMULATE THE SOVIETS...
Post by gcomeau   » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:04 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Senior Chief wrote:
gcomeau wrote:Sigh...

Strange I never mentioned memorials or statues. Perhaps you should contemplate how to read and not read into...

Perhaps you should stop pretending that wasn't what you were talking about since everyone here has an IQ above 50 and knows damn well what inspired your post.
Post by pappilon   » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:12 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Being born and raised in The South, I'm torn. Yes it is history and it should not be erased. My mother, God rest her Soul, was a member of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, for whatever reason. She was born and spent 8 years in Yonkers. Unfortunately the original KKK and its several revivals seem to revere CSA generals to intimidate Black Folk. Like why are there CSA statues in Oregon? United Sons of the Confederacy placard in a park in Washington State?
We grew up imbibing the great mythof defending a genteel way of life from the predations of Papists and other Damn Yankees.And I.m sure I retain some vestiges of that. I can certainly understand the rage that the Confederate battle Flag and statues carry. I still have to wonder how much is legitimate and how much is posturing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by dscott8   » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:20 am

dscott8
Commodore

As a "damned Yankee", I see the Confederacy as treason, armed rebellion against my country. Yes, it's history, but its leaders should not be celebrated by public memorials. You have the right to fly the Stars & Bars on your own property, and I have the right to consider you an asshole for doing so, but no place should be given on public land to monuments for traitors.
Post by pappilon   » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:40 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

dscott8 wrote:As a "damned Yankee", I see the Confederacy as treason, armed rebellion against my country. Yes, it's history, but its leaders should not be celebrated by public memorials. You have the right to fly the Stars & Bars on your own property, and I have the right to consider you an asshole for doing so, but no place should be given on public land to monuments for traitors.

No arguments with you there. Just saying we were taught a little differently, "We were standing up to oppression."

But you do realize that "The Stars and Bars" is not "The Battle Flag", don't you. And as an aside, I own neither. And I agree that there should be no space for their statues.

There are those who have been taught and truly believe, even as much as Christians believe, that their cause was just. Just like the American revolutionaries. Who gets to be a hero, who gets hanged for treason and who writes the history books is the right of the victor.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to Politics