Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by John Prigent   » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:09 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

Hey, I LIKE the idea of a 'grab lance'! The shiny new weapon in the Honorverse - but how does it work and what does it do?

Cheers, John

kzt wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:
I recall that RFC once said he actually had had a possible evolution of the grav lance penciled in as far future part of the tech tree and thought better of that after the insanity of all those threads.

It’s probably going to turn out that grab lances are the counter to something the MA has, but only one ship still in service has one... :lol:
Post by Theemile   » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:28 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

John Prigent wrote:Hey, I LIKE the idea of a 'grab lance'! The shiny new weapon in the Honorverse - but how does it work and what does it do?

Cheers, John

lol : Turns out "Grab Lance" was the RMN's version of the Tail hook scandal. Those implicated in it fared about as well as the weapons system...
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:31 pm

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

Maybe a grab lance is some sort of tractor beam you use to give a ship a few good shakes. Turns the crew into paste, perfect for spaghetti!

I have no idea if it would be practical.

Okay, it would probably be horrifically impractical.
Post by ti3x   » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:57 pm

ti3x
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Inertial compensators probably make it impractical.

Besides, it just sounds like a workplace harassment lawsuit waiting to happen. :twisted:

quite possibly a cat wrote:Maybe a grab lance is some sort of tractor beam you use to give a ship a few good shakes. Turns the crew into paste, perfect for spaghetti!

I have no idea if it would be practical.

Okay, it would probably be horrifically impractical.
Post by Brigade XO   » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:14 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

ti3x wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:<SNIP>

I think another bit of it is that I really do try to listen reasonably to questions about/interpretations of Honorverse tech (and politics, for that matter) and the logical implications of what's going on. Logical implications (and consequences) are critically important to any story line that depends on evolving technology and doctrine. Otherwise, you've got to figure out why the transporter is broken this episode . . . or just ignore the question of why no one beamed 5 or 6 kilos aboard the Borg Cube on its way to Earth while all those boarding parties were trying to rescue Picatd. Hah! like to see their "personal shields" deal with [i]that![/] :twisted:

<SNIP>

Or how about those bio neural gel packs that somehow managed to work faster than the made up circuitry that was faster than the other made up circuitry that was faster than regular old molecular or near-molecular circuitry...

...when the primary purpose of a biological neural network is to do massively parallel "fuzzy-logic"* work as efficiently as possible at an acceptable, although not terribly fast, speed.

Also, don't build vital ship components that can catch a cold.

* Edited to add fuzzy-logic, since that was the old programming term before neural nets and machine learning were actual things we could make. And for anyone that's a stickler, yes, they are different, but in the 90's that was the best we had.

Thos nural gel-packs were an item for one episode and then --poof--never seen again. Continuity people, continuity. Sigh
Post by ti3x   » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:30 pm

ti3x
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Brigade XO wrote:Thos nural gel-packs were an item for one episode and then --poof--never seen again. Continuity people, continuity. Sigh

I'm pretty sure they were also mentioned early on in the first few episodes (if not the first one), as well as in promo material. Might be mis-membrin' though.
Post by cthia   » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:09 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Regarding the MaLign, I wonder just how far those outside of the Onion, are outside of the Onion? Are they expendable in mass?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by CmdrAthenaAprilist   » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:29 pm

CmdrAthenaAprilist
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:Regarding the MaLign, I wonder just how far those outside of the Onion, are outside of the Onion? Are they expendable in mass?

I seem to remember that Jack and Zach McBryde's family were part of the outer Alignment, but were not slated for elimination, because it was the threat of elimination that kept those who were being Houdini'd from talking or hinting about it. Jules Charteris got on the elimination list because he got nosy about "Lisa's" being away at that "conference".
Post by George J. Smith   » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:36 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

CmdrAthenaAprilist wrote:
cthia wrote:Regarding the MaLign, I wonder just how far those outside of the Onion, are outside of the Onion? Are they expendable in mass?

I seem to remember that Jack and Zach McBryde's family were part of the outer Alignment, but were not slated for elimination, because it was the threat of elimination that kept those who were being Houdini'd from talking or hinting about it. Jules Charteris got on the elimination list because he got nosy about "Lisa's" being away at that "conference".

My take on the rest of the McBryde family was that they were just ordinary Mesan citizens, due to their jobs only Jack & Zach knew anything about the alignment, and I think only Jack knew about the onion.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by pappilon   » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:44 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:My take on the rest of the McBryde family was that they were just ordinary Mesan citizens, due to their jobs only Jack & Zach knew anything about the alignment, and I think only Jack knew about the onion.

They were an alpha line. Everyone "not-the-onion," and obviously some inside the onion are as expendable as they need to be. And by need, The Detweillers (B->G) mean protect knowledge of and information about The Onion at any and all costs. The latter may be where our Mr. Firebrand may prove useful to Admiral Givens and messers Zilwicki and Cachat.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to Honorverse