Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests

Top 5 Hardest Pills To Swallow

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:08 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

You ever been faced with a pill so large you thought the pharmaceutical company was running a bordello out of Prague?

Well, the series is about to wrap up. I thought I'd sum up My Top 5 Hardest Pills To Swallow.

5. The Harrington Doctrine
4. Eloise taking so long to come clean with Beth
3. Beth not coming to Honor's rescue when she was banished
2. Honor not coming clean about the rape
1. Hemphill not voting to fry Young
  • A gargantuan pill I still can't swallow. Gets caught in my throat every time.

What's in your medicine cabinet?

Note: Not meant to complain to the author. These are our own shortcomings.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Top 5 Hardest Pills To Swallow
Post by Michael Everett   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:19 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

...The Harrington Doctrine?

I think I must have missed that...The other four, yeah. I know what you mean and generally agree*, but that first one? Sorry, but I need a bit of expansion there.

*Hemphill had some strong-ish political reasons to not have Young executed. Getting him kicked out of the Military allowed her to keep certain high-profile individuals from kicking over the table where she was trying to build her stronger Navy.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by kzt   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:25 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Power cords, lack thereof. - This is really more general pod issues. I understand the plot related reasons, but this is just absurd. Particularly as you don't need to run the reactor as the ship in in zero g. Metal industrial velcro (hook and loop) would work just fine.

Mismatching the SD and BC(P) loadouts when you have them operating together.

Pod, missile and drone reactors being started by pouring in plasma at roughly stellar core temp from the main reactors Who thought that having these run all through the ship was a good idea?

So if you can only start the reactors used in the pods by connecting them to a ships fusion reactor and then those reactors only run for a week before needing extensive refurbishment then how do pods positioned for system defense work?

So lets talk about how a LAC can tow two million tons of pods at 700g in total stealth...
Post by roseandheather   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:29 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:...The Harrington Doctrine?

I think I must have missed that...The other four, yeah. I know what you mean and generally agree*, but that first one? Sorry, but I need a bit of expansion there.

*Hemphill had some strong-ish political reasons to not have Young executed. Getting him kicked out of the Military allowed her to keep certain high-profile individuals from kicking over the table where she was trying to build her stronger Navy.

Not to mention his execution would have quite forcefully put the kibosh on any declaration of war passing through Parliament, something which Sonja - who was keenly aware of what Haven was up to - very much wished to avoid.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by George J. Smith   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:35 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

roseandheather wrote:Not to mention his execution would have quite forcefully put the kibosh on any declaration of war passing through Parliament, something which Sonja - who was keenly aware of what Haven was up to - very much wished to avoid.

I wonder if Sonja told Young to vote for the declaration of war as payback for sparing his neck.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:38 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:
roseandheather wrote:Not to mention his execution would have quite forcefully put the kibosh on any declaration of war passing through Parliament, something which Sonja - who was keenly aware of what Haven was up to - very much wished to avoid.

I disagree heartily with several of these.

Honor was not banished from Manticore. She was simply beached. She could have lived quite nicely without having any navy role. This had happened to other naval people as well. And she had a nice role waiting for her in Grayson. Also, Beth did not really know Honor well at that point. After the fact, they became friends but not then. And Cromarty was the one who made the key decision there. Remember that his brother was in the middle of things and it was clearly a fragile coalition. It fell apart at his death.

As for Honor and the rape, a real lot of women hid all of that until fairly recently (remember that those scenes came from the 1990's). A lot of the problem was Honor's view of herself. That changed, that was part of the plot. If everything is sweet and fun, there is no story. She considered herself plain and gawky and from a yeoman family. He was from a power aristo family.

As for Hemphill and that court decision, remember that she was from the opposition group. And she at that time disliked White Haven and had issues with Harrington. And she was the one who set up the deal to get rid of him. That his father died right then and that left him with more power was hardly her fault.

Eloise holding back on things from Beth. Keep in mind that they had been at war. When Eloise found out about the betrayal, she asked for a peace meeting but it didn't happen because of the assassination stuff. When they actually met, it came out fast. And keep in mind that you don't casually give these things away in negotiations while at war.
Post by TangoLima   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:53 pm

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

Who raped Honor ?

She beat the hell out of Young when he tried.
Attempted rape maybe.
Post by kzt   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:08 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

TangoLima wrote:Who raped Honor ?

Attempted rape maybe.

Which she then didn't report.
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:33 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
TangoLima wrote:Who raped Honor ?

Attempted rape maybe.

Which she then didn't report.

My bad. The Honor & Nimitz & Pavel Young thread is still fresh in my mind. I called it attempted rape there, then shortened it and continued in that bad habit. My apology.

But as kzt stated. She didn't report it. So technically, it isn't even an attempted rape. It isn't even an alleged rape. All of the reasons that makes it a hard pill to swallow for me is laid out there.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:45 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

This is why you don't allow people inside of your medicine cabinet LOL

5. The Harrington Doctrine.

I hate politics more than Ensign Harrington hated politics. The Harrington Doctrine is political in nature. Oh, I believe in the Doctrine. And I like it. BUT I SURE AS HELL DON'T LOVE IT! Not from the standpoint of a reader, you see.

I liked Harrington's original Doctrine...

Find an imbecile. Bend him over. Send Apollo up his backside.

The SLN is a bunch of imbeciles. I understand the law of supply and demand. The League is huge. It has a googol of asses. Way too many for a missile to be inserted into each. Yatta yatta yatta.

Sometimes the logical is disappointing and boring -- coming from the standpoint of my split personality called a reader, you see. Albeit, I hate it when he asserts himself like so.

Hmm, RFC warns us about a dark cloud as far as characters. I wonder if the character to die is the GA.

'Ouch!' Stop throwing things!

Return to Honorverse