Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 36 guests

Where were you when...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Where were you when...
Post by RoguePhoenix   » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:20 pm

RoguePhoenix
Midshipman

So in the interests of conspiracy theories the mainline honorverse has been going on for nearly 23 years, and with the mainline finishing up here next year it will have been 24/25 years since the first novel came out. This was pre-planned, right :D .

So where were you when you first started this and what's your favorite memory from digging into the books?

Unfortunately for me I didn't pick them up until my first year of college in spring of 99'. I remember getting the first couple books off of the science fiction book club and then realizing that it was the 6th and 7th books in the series :( . Took me a couple months to pick up the first 5 but I remember coming back from 8:00 AM quizzes to rip through them one after the other over the next several months.

My favorite memory though has to be when I realized the first few chapters were released for Ashes of Victory on Baen's website. I was about an hour away from leaving on a Mummer's trip to Canada and I had to plead, beg, borrow and steal nearly a ream of paper to print everything out quickly before we left. Man if only we had iPads or Kindles back then I wouldn't have been sweating bullets trying to get my 8 chapter "drug" fix in.

It's been a long road, I can't believe how much has changed since I opened up to that antique clock ticking in the room.
Re: Where were you when...
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:44 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

For me it was probably some time in '97. My father had picked up On Basilisk Station and Honor of the Queen (IIRC from an airport book store) for reading material on a long trip and suggested I might like them. Blew through those borrowed 2 in a couple days and went to see when the next one would be available. To my delight I found that 4 were already published and snapped them up.

Been hooked ever since. (And somehow it was years later before I got around to buying the first 2 to fill in my collection). Which is why when I picked a book for David to sign it was my well worn copy of Short Victorious War - the first of his book I ever bought.
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:30 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

RoguePhoenix wrote:So where were you when you first started this and what's your favorite memory from digging into the books?

I picked up a first printing (paperback) sometime shortly after it was released. I was already a Weber fan, so it was an easy choice on my limited budget.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by kzt   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:02 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

I bought OBS when it first came out. Can't remember the circumstances, but I got a first printing.
Post by chrisd   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:05 am

chrisd
Captain (Junior Grade)

October 2000.
I was working for Intel in Dublin and picked up "On Basilisk Station" from "Forbidden Planet" bookshop at Temple Bar.
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:10 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

chrisd wrote:October 2000.
I was working for Intel in Dublin and picked up "On Basilisk Station" from "Forbidden Planet" bookshop at Temple Bar.

I was a bit later. I walked into a library and saw "Honor Among Enemies" in hardback. After finishing it, I went to my local Barnes and Noble and got the earlier books in paperback.

I am a Weber addict. I admit it. That is the first step. But I will not apologize!
Post by dscott8   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:26 am

dscott8
Commodore

Don't remember the date, but my son gave me his copies of the first three books, along with a bunch of others, when he moved house. He was going completely e-book because he didn't have space for physical books.

My best memory was after my wife and I (both avid readers) got our own tablets & started looking for e-books. She's a 100% Disabled US Army Veteran, and we were delighted when we found that Baen gives disabled vets free unlimited access to their e-books.

Thank You Baen Books!
Post by noblehunter   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:44 am

noblehunter
Captain (Junior Grade)

Whenever Echoes of Honor came out in paperback. A friend of my father's regularly lent a pile of recent paperback releases. Echoes was one of them and I think I read it a few times before getting around to digging up the rest of the series. I think it was one of the first books I read as I started reading SF more broadly.
Post by Theemile   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:45 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

A friend of mine threw me the link to Baen when Ashes of Victory was just coming out in snippets. It was a bad place to start , with each chapter alternately discussing The Elysian Space navy, then the Manticorian Navy, then the Grayson space navy, then the Havenite space navy. My head was swimming as I slowly realized ( in total confusion) that the one character was in 3 of the navies. I put it down for a couple months until On Basilisk station was passed to me.
Last edited by Theemile on Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by TangoLima   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:47 pm

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

OBS in June 1992
Vacation reading/self inflicted B'day present.
The worst was waiting for the next one all the way
through until now.
This was somewhat mitigated by sample chapters, snippets
and e-arcs as they became available.

Return to Honorverse