Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests

Lt. Berjouhi LaFontaine

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Lt. Berjouhi LaFontaine
Post by TangoLima   » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:33 pm

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

... is my favorite new character.
Lester's flag Lt.
trained by Shannon , possessing integrity and tact.
My hope is that we will in the future have some truly
multi-national ship crews.
Her, Abigail and Helen on the same ship would have
multiple storyline possibilities.
Re: Lt. Berjouhi LaFontaine
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:32 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

TangoLima wrote:... is my favorite new character.
Lester's flag Lt.
trained by Shannon , possessing integrity and tact.
My hope is that we will in the future have some truly
multi-national ship crews.
Her, Abigail and Helen on the same ship would have
multiple storyline possibilities.

It would be fun but unlikely. Both Berjouhi and Helen are serving as aides to higher officers. It could be possible if Abigail were an XO, Berjouhi the Tac officer, and Helen as Assistant TACO.

But dubious because both have a real lot of secrets. I would guess both would work for their own navies for a while.

But it is a cute idea and I like the Haven officer.
Post by TangoLima   » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:49 pm

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

Perhaps it can happens in the 'next' story arc
when they are further along in their careers.
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:29 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

TangoLima wrote:Perhaps it can happens in the 'next' story arc
when they are further along in their careers.

As fellow captains maybe. Or perhaps higher. I would guess Abigail and Berjouhi would almost certainly move up pretty fast and they are a couple of years ahead of Helen.

Actually Berjouhi is most senior. She was an ensign when Honor was captured and escaped. Abigail was a student under Honor after the escape. Helen was a few years behind.

Chances are Berjouhi is being held back a bit because at this point she is so valuable to Tourville.
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:20 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:Chances are Berjouhi is being held back a bit because at this point she is so valuable to Tourville.

Perhaps she has moved up to command a Destroyer against impossible odds? :roll:
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:13 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:Chances are Berjouhi is being held back a bit because at this point she is so valuable to Tourville.

She is a lieutenant now. She probably will get a relatively short stint as TACO and then become an XO. Then a captain.

Ginger Lewis went against the grain without a formal posting as XO but she was an acting one on a heroic ship and her first (hopefully) command was a repair ship.

Those who get aide jobs generally have been selected because senior officers see their potential.
Post by Nyssa   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:45 am

Nyssa
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Sounds like she is due a promotion to Lt. Commander. That would make sense, given her new job as captain of a destroyer. Flag lieutenant is a learning position before moving on to command positions.
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:21 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Nyssa wrote:Sounds like she is due a promotion to Lt. Commander. That would make sense, given her new job as captain of a destroyer. Flag lieutenant is a learning position before moving on to command positions.

Actually, probably not. She has been with Tourville a long time. But while being flag lieutenant is great for learning to command at the top, she needs the experience of at least being a department head before becoming a CO.

Abigail as TACO of a destroyer is probably better qualified for command of a ship although Berjouhi would be better qualified for a high staff position or fleet command.

Jumping people too fast is not a good idea. Note that Naomi Kaplan was monitoring Abigail. The paperwork is a key item as well as a lot of other things.

Best bet: XO of a cruiser and then command.
Post by Nyssa   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:30 pm

Nyssa
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

We don't know what positions she has held in the past. Given the disruptions/expansion in the Havenite Navy, she could easily have been TO of a destroyer, maybe even acting XO. Naomi Kaplan went from TO straight to captain. As flag lieutenant she has been on the inside of many evaluations of commanding officers. Excellent opportunity to see what does and doesn't work.
Post by robert132   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:19 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

Weird Harold wrote:

You guys are thinking much as I did. If LT LaFontaine is promoted to LCDR and the RHN regulations permit it (i.e. all the career "tickets" are punched,) it's possible that a LCDR could be assigned to a CDR billet (destroyer skipper) following the old "one up or one down" traditions many navies follow, i.e. a billet written for a Commander COULD be filled either by an up-and-coming hard charging LT Commander or by a Captain (skipper just promoted for example but left in place to finish his or her tour of duty or cruise.)

That much at least is possible as I see it.

As for the rest ... that's something else that's up to the author (Himself.)

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.

Return to Honorverse