Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests

Uncompromising way out of order snippet for Rose

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Uncompromising way out of order snippet for Rose
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:22 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Meanwhile I'm sitting here deeply amused at how a thread that started as RFC basically speculating on how high he can make my voice go has turned into The Battle of the Naval History Nerds. :lol:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by saber964   » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:11 pm

saber964
Admiral

roseandheather wrote:Meanwhile I'm sitting here deeply amused at how a thread that started as RFC basically speculating on how high he can make my voice go has turned into The Battle of the Naval History Nerds. :lol:

And this is a surprise?
Post by drothgery   » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:08 am

drothgery
Admiral

saber964 wrote:
roseandheather wrote:Meanwhile I'm sitting here deeply amused at how a thread that started as RFC basically speculating on how high he can make my voice go has turned into The Battle of the Naval History Nerds. :lol:

And this is a surprise?

I mean, usually things go from serious book discussion to 'shipping, but I guess the other way is possible, too ...
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:50 am

roseandheather
Admiral

drothgery wrote:I mean, usually things go from serious book discussion to 'shipping, but I guess the other way is possible, too ...

Hey! That's only true on threads I get involved in. :mrgreen:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:01 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
drothgery wrote:I mean, usually things go from serious book discussion to 'shipping, but I guess the other way is possible, too ...

Hey! That's only true on threads I get involved in. :mrgreen:

Shipping! That's right, you've always been the Federal Express of Overnight Shipping.

Little wonder we don't see much of you either, since... Lacoon II.

Damn Manticorans and their junctions. :D

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:13 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:Wait'll you hear Honor talking to Kingsford.
In person. :twisted:

Anyone else besides me can't get over this huge revelation?

Well, anyone else besides me contemplating on what Honor has to say to him, in a nutshell?

Yes? Well, anyone else besides me think it's some kind of ultimatum with Eighth Fleet parked at the edge of the system?

Well, how the hell else does she get to chat it up with Kingsford? In person! :o :idea: :roll: ;)

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:47 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:Wait'll you hear Honor talking to Kingsford.
In person. :twisted:

Anyone else besides me can't get over this huge revelation?

Well, anyone else besides me contemplating on what Honor has to say to him, in a nutshell?

Yes? Well, anyone else besides me think it's some kind of ultimatum with Eighth Fleet parked at the edge of the system?

Well, how the hell else does she get to chat it up with Kingsford? In person! :o :idea: :roll: ;)

'Ahem!'

Or would that be Eighth Fleet The Protector's Own?!"

"OH HELL NO HONOR! You are not headed into Solarian space without the Protector's Own."

"Why Benjy, sir, I've never heard you swear. So I'll just consider that an order." 'twinkle'

"Good!" 'twinkle'

Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:56 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Well, how the hell else does she get to chat it up with Kingsford? In person! :o :idea: :roll: ;)

The same way she talked to Lester Tourville before her mission to Haven: invite him to dinner (from the POW camp.)
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:51 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:Well, how the hell else does she get to chat it up with Kingsford? In person! :o :idea: :roll: ;)

The same way she talked to Lester Tourville before her mission to Haven: invite him to dinner (from the POW camp.)

I considered that, then quickly dismissed it. Right or wrong.

The difference is that Tourville was out and about doing something to the RMN -- like conducting operations -- to facilitate capture. He is an officer in the RHN, commanding enemy forces. Kingsford acts more like a civilian, even though he's an officer. I certainly don't think he'd be out doing anything but running sims. If even that. If he was out-and-about, it seems he'd be more at home on a passenger liner. The RMN doesn't generally go after passenger liners. Of course he could have been collected with the convoy protecting the passenger liner. But, I'm not willing to plunk down any credits on it. Because you have much more than a 50/50 chance of being correct. It's that it just doesn't feel right to me for some reason. It makes my Spidey senses tingle. The idea of a captured Kingsford seems a bit contrived to me, forced. But then, I don't wield the magnificent penmanship of our Wizard Weber, and he certainly seems to have gotten his groove back. He's a masterful storyteller in my book, and if he says Kingsford being captured feels right, I'm sure I'll agree with him while in the moment. But I won't send in my credits just yet.

Besides, if that is the case, why does Honor need to have a chat with him if he's captured? It isn't like he's going to volunteer any information. And it isn't likely Honor is going to cut him loose and return him back to his navy as Eloise did Michelle. No, no, I'm not willing to catch this bus just yet. I'll wait for next.

At any rate, the face to face has my knickers in a twist.

I trust you can guess which scenario I wish is correct.

Post by Castenea   » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:53 pm

Castenea
Captain of the List

runsforcelery wrote:
pappilon wrote:To ressurect the flogged dead horse, what about those BF grazers they were thinking about using? one of those swanning around tractored to a drone can punch out a BC. Also my equally long shot: Hearken back to Obligated Service. Claire LeCroix. With the great holes int he Grayson Navy after OB, surely a well known and obviously motivated officer can move up the ranks. Not sure ho it fits with R&H ...

No SL grasers and no LACs. At the crucial moment, she's on her own.

Oh, and no pods, either. :twisted:

And the RMN's practice is to design its ships to stand up to its own weapons and tactical doctrine (as much as humanly possible, at least) because they've been the biggest. baddest offensive machine around for like the last 25-30 years. Why design your ships to stand up to the second baddest weapons mix when you have complete specs on the baddest of the bad and can design accordingly? :roll:

In fact, the rule of thumb of all competent naval designers has been to design their ships to resist their own weapons because logic suggests that at the time they build the thing, it will be the newest ship in their fleet and probably (at least briefly) in the world. Hence its weapons are the standard its defenses have to be able to meet.

This is known as a logical consequence. :ugeek:
I would go for the reason a ship is generally designed to stand p to it's own guns are a bit more prosaic than just the jingoistic bit about our guns are the best in the world.

You know all specs on your own weapons, and if you have any questions about your new armoring scheme standing up to the guns, you only need to construct a sample and reserve range time. This may be a bit more complicated in practice than I make it sound, but your likely enemies are not going to make it easy to use their guns for testing.

There is a reason why working models of Soviet military equipment was highly desired by NATO. Defectors who brought such examples over tended to be well taken care of.

Return to Honorverse