Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

Lost Testament of Schueler

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Lost Testament of Schueler
Post by JBNL1972   » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:14 am

JBNL1972
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Michael Everett wrote:re the blank page, I think I remember RFC wrote somewhere that the page was included in order to symbolize that the history recorded in the preceding section wasn't complete as the world was still continuing onwards.

As for the Lost Testament of Schueler, I can see the Order of Shueler pulling out an ancient-but-important-to-the-Inquisition relic for display, only when the relic is carried into the great hall and placed in the exact center for everyone to look at, it causes several previously-concealed bookcases to rise out of the floor, complete with well-preserved texts penned by the original so-called Archangels and which includes what Shueler actually wrote...
With the papers having obviously been in the Temple since it was built, no-one would dare to question their authenticity, but the differences between the papers and the Writ would cause some... issues...

Here's another (possibly stupid) suggestion where this lost testament might be: on the corner of Paityr's desk, holding down some documents.

What if those files in the Key are tied to a release -date- upon whicxh they can be opened ? And that would make this Lost Testament QUITE expansive and detailed ...
Post by chrisd   » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:00 am

chrisd
Captain (Junior Grade)

JBNL1972 wrote:Here's another (possibly stupid) suggestion where this lost testament might be: on the corner of Paityr's desk, holding down some documents....

Another "Purloined Letter"?
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:26 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

JBNL1972 wrote:Here's another (possibly stupid) suggestion where this lost testament might be: on the corner of Paityr's desk, holding down some documents....

The problem with that is that the key has been out of the Temple, so that any evidence it might be contained would be considered to have been generated by Shan Wei, and thereby prove that Clyntahn was right - the Wylsynn's had been consorting with demons.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Bluesqueak   » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:39 am

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

My current guess on Schueler is that he's someone who honestly believed that Safehold had to stay hidden for about, oh, say a thousand Years Safeholdian. And that the Fallen were going to restore technology too soon, so it became necessary to defeat them - even though he agreed with their ultimate aim.

At least, I can't see why else a supposedly 100% gung-ho supporter of Chihiro would leave his descendants a secret datacube. Schueler's on the winning side. So why secret?

As the story progresses, we learn more and more that a lot of lies have been told about the War Against the Fallen. Furthermore, the number of secret files is huge - the Inquisition have secret files, the Brotherhood of St Zherneau have secret files, the Sisterhood of St Kody have a secret diary...

... so yeah, I'd go with the 'Lost Testament' being the secret files of Androcles Schueler, hidden in the Wyllsyn's Key. He wanted the truth to be revealed - but like Jerry Knowles, thought it wasn't yet the right time. He probably did expect that the Wyllsyns would still be within the Temple when the Church finally failed - but is the 1000 year 'return' (release of the data) his default option?

Incidentally, RFC choosing 'Androcles' as Schueler's first name is rather interesting. Androcles is the name given to the slave thrown into the lion's den in the traditional story. Was Safehold's Androcles trapped in his own personal lion's den? Is he an earlier version of Duchairn? Trapped in the belly of the beast, in the den of the lion, and trying to somehow find a way out for humanity?

In the story, Androcles survived because of an earlier act of kindness.
Post by n7axw   » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:31 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I have wondered if rather than exposing himself to the consequences cracking the code of the key, Owl could have constructed an AI that was not self aware to take the risk.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Randomiser   » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:13 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

n7axw wrote:I have wondered if rather than exposing himself to the consequences cracking the code of the key, Owl could have constructed an AI that was not self aware to take the risk.

Don

-

Part of the problem was that there was a very high chance of the Key scrambling itself if they didn't crack the encryption, so they would lose it.

Protecting OWL is simple. They get him to build a duplicate set of hardware, copy him into it and isolate it from everything else except the Key which the copy then attempts to access.

It may not be easy, however. As I have suggested before, building another OWL ought to have been a strategic priority. The fact it hasn't been done suggests there is some problem about doing so. OWL has produced at least one other computing resource - the VR Nahrman resides in, although it is not 100% clear that involved fabbing extra hardware. It may be that, just as OWL currently lacks the resources to build another PICA, it currently lacks the resources to build a copy of its hardware.
Post by JBNL1972   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:55 pm

JBNL1972
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

n7axw wrote:I have wondered if rather than exposing himself to the consequences cracking the code of the key, Owl could have constructed an AI that was not self aware to take the risk.

Don

-

The other problem of course being that it will destroy any data on the Key; which is pretty clearly stated at the start of LAMA in Nahrmahn's covnersation with Owl.
Post by TangoLima   » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:35 pm

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

Then there is the little scene in Clyntan's cell and the
holoprojection. Clyntan muses about having seen images
like it, in the Inquisitions secret records.
Perhaps, even surely, there is more buried in those
files.
Post by Hardyng   » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:13 pm

Hardyng
Midshipman

I agree that Schueler is shady. There is too many dialogues when everyone agree that Schueler from the holograms seems like a normal guy, not some psychopath who invented a Punishment of Schueler.

There is a option that Testament of Schueler will give a Inner Circle a some kind of proof to finally destroy the Church. I don't really know though where it will lead, will there be second Holy War, who will be fighting whom?
Post by n7axw   » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:39 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Hardyng wrote:I agree that Schueler is shady. There is too many dialogues when everyone agree that Schueler from the holograms seems like a normal guy, not some psychopath who invented a Punishment of Schueler.

There is a option that Testament of Schueler will give a Inner Circle a some kind of proof to finally destroy the Church. I don't really know though where it will lead, will there be second Holy War, who will be fighting whom?

Based on comments by RFC, we know that there is another war coming up. My recollection of what was said is that it will be fought over the prosciptions. But that could be a misimpression. I don't remember it being said that it would be fought as a jihad.

The circumstances of that war and the protagonists are not known right now, although the ending of the last book seemed to set up the next conflict by leaving the COGA and the inquisition in place.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Safehold