Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests

Thoughts for the Author

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Thoughts for the Author
Post by iranuke   » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:28 pm

iranuke
Commander

cthia wrote:
BTW, I'm a Mountain Dew man as well. I think I almost overdosed on the stuff in the 90's when they introduced the Big Slams. They were huge litre bottles of the Mountain's Dewiness.

I once told a gf that I wish she could pee Mountain Dew. She said to me "I think you got that covered yourself."

I believe that the "Mountain Dew" they were talking about comes from a still and not a can. I prefer to call it white lightning.
Post by Daryl   » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:22 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Reminds me of a comedy skit about "The changing of the Tea Bag on British Rail".
Post by Annachie   » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:39 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote:Coffee, Vegimite or the other goopy dark hot drinks are disgusting. I don't drink beer either, Gin is okay, Ballantines Finest is preferred. Wine gives me heart burn. Champaign is gross. Tea iced yes hot soso. The best thing to drink is Rhubarb juice, sweetened, unsweetened is brutal. Cider, alcoholic, if there is no Ballantines Finest. Mountain Dew.

God Vegimite, are you kidding that crap is disgusting. Had it once in Australia and wanted to barf.
I should post a picture if my breakfast.
Vegemite on toast. :)

Never known anybody to drink it though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by WLBjork   » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:05 pm

WLBjork
Commander

Annachie wrote:
saber964 wrote:
God Vegimite, are you kidding that crap is disgusting. Had it once in Australia and wanted to barf.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I know folks who make up a hot drink using Marmite, and Vegemite is a similar product. For that matter, there's Bovril and Oxo (yes, some people drink gravy).

Beer needs to be a good quality Real Ale. Just...keep out of range of my sneezes after alcohol consumption.

Coffee, the nicest I have tasted so far was Jamaican Blue Mountain at Betty's Tearooms in York (well worth a visit, make sure you go into the basement area, as there is a mirror there signed by aircrews during WW2). Not cheap, but smooth yet strong.
Post by runsforcelery   » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:26 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

I should have thought it was evident that Honor was created by a recovering addict who, alas, has since fallen off the wagon once again. Hence the emergence of cherry-bean tea in Safehold.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by pappilon   » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:49 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

WLBjork wrote:SNIP

Beer needs to be a good quality Real Ale. Just...keep out of range of my sneezes after alcohol consumption.

Coffee, the nicest I have tasted so far was Jamaican Blue Mountain at Betty's Tearooms in York (well worth a visit, make sure you go into the basement area, as there is a mirror there signed by aircrews during WW2). Not cheap, but smooth yet strong.

Starbucks & Seattle's Best are just crummy excuses for drinking half a cup of sugar and milk. My sister always drinks her coffee like that:half a cup of coffee, 4 teaspoons of sugar, fill the rest with milk.

Beer and ale are really different animals rather like green and black teas. Beer yeast has a lower tolerance of temperature changes preferring 70=75degreed F. and a more neutral pH. Ale yeasts can take lower pH, preferring a more acid one and higher wider temperature range. Give me a good porter or stout any day. Except for the crap Guinness imports to the US. Americans have no taste for real Stout (or beer hence the preference for IPA)so they water it down for export.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by isaac_newton   » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:51 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

saber964 wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote:Coffee, Vegimite or the other goopy dark hot drinks are disgusting. I don't drink beer either, Gin is okay, Ballantines Finest is preferred. Wine gives me heart burn. Champaign is gross. Tea iced yes hot soso. The best thing to drink is Rhubarb juice, sweetened, unsweetened is brutal. Cider, alcoholic, if there is no Ballantines Finest. Mountain Dew.

Marmite [UK's Vegimite equiv, I belive] is ok on toast. I've had it with boiling water and it's not too bad...

However, my daughter worked for a while in an old peoples home. Some them liked Marmite in warm milk... :shock: :shock: now thats gross!
Post by lyonheart   » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:59 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hello WLBjork,

You mean Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee is real?

And here I thought it was made up in "The Mote In God's Eye", so I've learned something else today, I'm on a role!

Thanks very much, and does anyone know if JBM was Niven and Pournelle's favorite?

Thanks again,

L

WLBjork wrote:
Annachie wrote:quote="saber964"

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalkquote

I know folks who make up a hot drink using Marmite, and Vegemite is a similar product. For that matter, there's Bovril and Oxo (yes, some people drink gravy).

Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by cthia   » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:04 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:
WLBjork wrote:SNIP

Starbucks & Seattle's Best are just crummy excuses for drinking half a cup of sugar and milk. My sister always drinks her coffee like that:half a cup of coffee, 4 teaspoons of sugar, fill the rest with milk.

Beer and ale are really different animals rather like green and black teas. Beer yeast has a lower tolerance of temperature changes preferring 70=75degreed F. and a more neutral pH. Ale yeasts can take lower pH, preferring a more acid one and higher wider temperature range. Give me a good porter or stout any day. Except for the crap Guinness imports to the US. Americans have no taste for real Stout (or beer hence the preference for IPA)so they water it down for export.

Pardon our manners pappilon. You should have been properly welcomed to the forums and offered a beer, err porter or stout in your case. We're probably suffering a shortage of both because of Lacoon. But I see you've found your way over to our makeshift bar and are chatting it up with the bartenders anyhow. LOL Cool!

Americans hate stout because it is too... stout. One of my friends said that it's an acquired taste but that most acquire a ditch long before they can acquire the taste.

If beer is so good then why on earth are there so many different kinds? They're desperately trying to find one that tastes worth drinking.

I must say, my first visit to Oktoberfest with a German girlfriend was daunting. I left with so many tin buttons pinned to my shirt from trying some odd looking concoction that I must have looked like the Salamander with so many medals. And I earned every single medal for tasting every sordid, streaming urine sample! I still have the medals displayed about my bar.

I didn't know they made beer from about every single thing found on earth and in every color of the rainbow. I don't care what color you paint it, colored urine simply tastes like tainted urine.

And, German beer has to be watered down before importing or they'd have to sell the stuff in ABC stores in the US because of the alcohol content.

And the women in Germany have arms like men from lifting the 25 lb. steins. Those aren't mugs! I have to hold them with two hands. Its like drinking out of a hand held keg.

Other than that, Oktoberfests are beer blasts err urine blasts. :D

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:32 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

My niece says that people drink beer because it is so cheap — she calls it recyclable urine.

I guess that makes it a perpetual, renewable resource. LOL

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse