Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests

Thoughts for the Author

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Thoughts for the Author
Post by cthia   » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:41 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:Slice off a piece??? LOL

That is not coffee, that is residue from some kind of a refining process. LOL

If it is brown, semi-liquid and in a coffee pot, a soldier, sailor, Marine, or airman will drink it.

Then the military is about brainwashing if they can get you to drink sludge! With that consistency, it can be packaged as C-rations.

That may have something to do with getting so many people to re-enlist. Because when you get out, civilian coffee won't cut it for you anymore and no other company in their right mind will ever serve anyone sludge.

"Why did you re-up?"

"The military grade sludge." LOL

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Fireflair   » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:50 am

Fireflair
Captain of the List

My first boat got #10 cans filled with ground coffee, stamped on the side 'coffee'. I'm not a huge coffee fan, but it was tolerably caffeinated for staying up the whole night and day as needed.

We had quality coffee on my second boat. Starbucks beans in the bag. Our own grinder on the mess decks. We'd make fresh coffee all the time. Didn't taste bad with a little cream and sugar.

My third boat...::shudders:: Did anyone know that Sarah Lee makes coffee? I didn't, not till then. That stuff was so nasty that there wasn't enough flavor shots, creamer or sugar to make it palatable. Who the hell wakes up in the morning and say, 'I guess I'll have a nice hot cup of Sarah Leee!'??!?

Bleh.

My fourth boat before I retired was Seattles Best and it wasn't bad. But I'm not a massive coffee drinker even now. My stomach won't tolerate too much of the acids after all the years of abuse I subjected it to.
Post by Daryl   » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:07 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I'm Australian and agree with you about the Vegemite.
Coffee now, I've been most places but never to the US,
but many friends have, and they all come home saying please get me a coffee that I can drink. Starbucks opened a chain of coffee outlets in this country and went broke.
So just possibly the US friends on here have never tasted a proper coffee?
Regarding drinks, I usually have one large coffee a day (brewed personally), and several cups of strong tea. I generally drink filtered rain water (we are in a very low pollution area), and for alcohol, good beer (German, Belgian or Czech) and single malt Scotch, although a good red wine can be ok on some occasions. No soft drinks.

saber964 wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote:Coffee, Vegimite or the other goopy dark hot drinks are disgusting. I don't drink beer either, Gin is okay, Ballantines Finest is preferred. Wine gives me heart burn. Champaign is gross. Tea iced yes hot soso. The best thing to drink is Rhubarb juice, sweetened, unsweetened is brutal. Cider, alcoholic, if there is no Ballantines Finest. Mountain Dew.

God Vegimite, are you kidding that crap is disgusting. Had it once in Australia and wanted to barf.
Post by cthia   » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:26 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

From Cauldron of Ghosts, Sharon speaking.,...

“I love you dearly, Yuri, but you make the worst coffee this side of a Navy mess hall.”

"That's where I learned to make coffee in the first place."

"I know."

She pushed buttons that did mysterious things. “For years, I had a secret belief that the reason we had such a hard time fighting the Manticorans was because of the Navy’s coffee. The deterioration that crap must have produced in the brains of our officers and ratings didn’t bear thinking about.”

The button-pushing ended with a triumphant glissando of flying fingers. Yuri had no idea what she was doing. Programming the heat death of the universe? It was a coffee maker, for God’s sake. What was wrong with letting the gadget’s own computer handle the business?

“And since I got here,” she continued, “my suspicion has been confirmed. I’ve talked to any number of Erewhonese who’ve had Manticoran Navy coffee, and they all swear it’s terrific.”

Her ritual apparently done, Sharon finished tying up her robe and sat down at the kitchen table. “Oh, stop pouting—and have a seat, will you? The coffee will take a few minutes.” Yuri was tempted to respond my coffee gets done in no time at all but wisely restrained himself. As a friend who shared his own insouciant attitude toward making coffee had once said, “Gourmets are subtle and quick to anger.”

From one of my old posts...

This coffee thing is getting hilarious.

My fiancée has this coffee machine, espresso maker, whatever... that looks more like an alien soul snatcher. It appears that a six month course to learn to operate the darn thing is a prerequisite. She is English and she hates American coffee.

The joke goes "If anyone asks you if you'd like a cup of Joe, say no. Joe can taste like anything."

Get a load of this coffee maker. I'd like to try a cup of this.

My sister has an outrageously expensive coffee machine. One of her friends told her. "If I picked my Joe like you pick your Joe, I wouldn't be getting a divorce."

I gotta give it to you. Some of you coffee drinkers are some serious customers.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:47 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:I'm Australian and agree with you about the Vegemite.
Coffee now, I've been most places but never to the US,
but many friends have, and they all come home saying please get me a coffee that I can drink. Starbucks opened a chain of coffee outlets in this country and went broke.
So just possibly the US friends on here have never tasted a proper coffee?
Regarding drinks, I usually have one large coffee a day (brewed personally), and several cups of strong tea. I generally drink filtered rain water (we are in a very low pollution area), and for alcohol, good beer (German, Belgian or Czech) and single malt Scotch, although a good red wine can be ok on some occasions. No soft drinks.
saber964 wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote:Coffee, Vegimite or the other goopy dark hot drinks are disgusting. I don't drink beer either, Gin is okay, Ballantines Finest is preferred. Wine gives me heart burn. Champaign is gross. Tea iced yes hot soso. The best thing to drink is Rhubarb juice, sweetened, unsweetened is brutal. Cider, alcoholic, if there is no Ballantines Finest. Mountain Dew.

God Vegimite, are you kidding that crap is disgusting. Had it once in Australia and wanted to barf.

I don't know what to say about vegemite, except that it doesn't taste like anything that should be found on earth. I think it is the sludge that powers an alien's spaceship. It is what they visit earth for. Someone need to tell them that it's found in Australia. It seems to be an acquired taste. A friend of mine fell in love with the stuff and keeps his cupboard stocked with it. And get this. He likes to put a spoon full of it on his expensive caviar and eat it. What a way to ruin good caviar. But then, I have friends who hate caviar. What's wrong with them?

Post by Charybdis   » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:44 am

Charybdis
Captain of the List

From Grandmaster R.A.Heinlein's much overlooked "Glory Road" [1963], his adult Science Fantasy novel; "Coffee, java, jamoke, joe and carbon remover". As an aside, do they even sell Irish Sweepstakes tickets anymore?

From personal experience, I would dare to add 2 grades to his list; 'Ambrosia' which is so rare as to be experienced but several times in the lifetime. Never the same twice because it is an almost perfect melding of coffee, time, body chemistry and place.

Then between 'joe' and 'carbon remover' I would place 'drek', a foul drink that you can barely sip but need for the jolt and stimulus that you get just from the shakes of tasting that sip. Best at "0 dark thirty" just before that damn whistle of "INCOMING!"

FYI: 'drek' instantly discolors a spoon, 'carbon remover' dissolves the spoon.
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:02 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Get a load of this coffee maker. I'd like to try a cup of this.

I have a siphon coffee maker and a "French press" coffee maker in addition to the standard "Mr Coffee" style and campfire percolator(s).

All of them can make great coffee and all of them can make "carbon remover." It is the attention to detail and care after brewing that makes the difference, not the style of coffee maker.

PS: the beans and roast have more to do with coffee quality than the coffee maker.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:19 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:Get a load of this coffee maker. I'd like to try a cup of this.

I have a siphon coffee maker and a "French press" coffee maker in addition to the standard "Mr Coffee" style and campfire percolator(s).

All of them can make great coffee and all of them can make "carbon remover." It is the attention to detail and care after brewing that makes the difference, not the style of coffee maker.

PS: the beans and roast have more to do with coffee quality than the coffee maker.

My wife only half agrees.

"There is no need of having an expensive, skillful barista inside of a machine if you're only going to provide him with the wrong bean. There is no need of having the right bean if you're simply going to put them in a pot and boil them."

Which is what she says some coffee makers taste like. She imports Guatemalan coffee beans, which she says is the perfect bean for her tastes. She likes to drink bourbon mixed in with her coffee during the holidays and she said this bean is perfect for that occasion and for all-around goodness. Beats me. Though coffee with bourbon isn't half-bad at all. She's got one of my sisters liking it -- the bean and the concoction.

Post by saber964   » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:30 pm

saber964
Admiral

To the grades of coffee you can add my personal grade. Which is Nile delta river water at low tide on wash day. Also try drinking the messdeck coffee at 0530 that has been sitting in the urn since the mid-rats or even worse since dinner the evening before. This stuff would etch glass. I knew guys whose coffee cups were so stained that if they accidentally got a week cup they would stir there cup making sure to scrape the sides and it would strengthen it instantly.
Post by saber964   » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:31 pm

saber964
Admiral

To the grades of coffee you can add my personal grade. Which is Nile delta river water at low tide on wash day. Also try drinking the messdeck coffee at 0530 that has been sitting in the urn since the mid-rats or even worse since dinner the evening before. This stuff would etch glass. I knew guys whose coffee cups were so stained that if they accidentally got a week cup they would stir there cup making sure to scrape the sides and it would strengthen it instantly.

Return to Honorverse