Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests

Thoughts for the Author

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Thoughts for the Author
Post by rmoore   » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:43 pm

rmoore
Midshipman

http://www.lifeextension.com/Magazine/2017/7/An-Alternative-To-Coffee/Page-01 I thought of Honor when I read this. Thought it might work in the story. Maybe something her father comes across and passes it on to James MacGuiness.
Re: Thoughts for the Author
Post by cthia   » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:10 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

rmoore wrote:http://www.lifeextension.com/Magazine/2017/7/An-Alternative-To-Coffee/Page-01 I thought of Honor when I read this. Thought it might work in the story. Maybe something her father comes across and passes it on to James MacGuiness.

Interesting post rmoore.

Welcome to the forums. It is customary to offer a beer, so have one on the house. Though I don't drink the crap. There's no difference between beer and urine. Especially in the can and hot.

But back to your post. Coffee seems to have the same effect, "psychologically." I have too many friends who can't accomplish a damn thing without a cup of Joe. All of their mental focus is curved by the need for a cup of caffeine. Regardless of what is actually going on behind the scenes in the brain.

I'd say it was the addiction, but it happens with caffeine-free Joe's as well.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by robert132   » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:53 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:Interesting post rmoore.

Welcome to the forums. It is customary to offer a beer, so have one on the house. Though I don't drink the crap. There's no difference between beer and urine. Especially in the can and hot.

But back to your post. Coffee seems to have the same effect, "psychologically." I have too many friends who can't accomplish a damn thing without a cup of Joe. All of their mental focus is curved by the need for a cup of caffeine. Regardless of what is actually going on behind the scenes in the brain.

Well I'll be dipped, someone else who thinks beer would be all the better poured back into the horse. :lol:

I'm told that I'm an odd sailor, never cultivated a taste for beer nor cigarettes.

Coffee on the other hand ... 8-) It got me through many an all night watch. Go down to the mess decks where the urn's been cooking for about 18 hours and slice off a piece. ;)

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by cthia   » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:26 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

robert132 wrote:

Well I'll be dipped, someone else who thinks beer would be all the better poured back into the horse. :lol:

I'm told that I'm an odd sailor, never cultivated a taste for beer nor cigarettes.

Coffee on the other hand ... 8-) It got me through many an all night watch. Go down to the mess decks where the urn's been cooking for about 18 hours and slice off a piece. ;)

Good for you. Keep up the wise choices. LOL

I don't drink beer or smoke either. What is it with smokers? It's like the day of old when ppl would burn trash outside. Gees! No one smokes in my family, incidentally. Except my grandfather did smoke a pipe. At least that was a pleasant smell.

My best childhood buddy and I both never smoked or drank. The strongest thing I'd consume back then was an RC soda. Damn those things were strong! But were great with a pack of salty peanuts poured inside.

My buddy and I went our own separate ways to college. He graduated college and returned, not drinking beer, but swimming in it. His idea of beer drinking is a case to himself. HOT! He reaches for a can, pops the top, drinks it, then squeezes the can. Yep, he guzzles an entire can down. He says sipping beer is for the birds. He graduated from the college that is known as the beer drinking capital of the world. ECU. Along with it developed a reputation with their highest per capita cases of STD's amongst campuses. I guess where there's smoke there's fire! Hmm, kegs of beer, cases of STD. LOL

They have beer blasts on campus several times a quarter. (I think they're still on the quarter system.) Kegs set up less than 50 yards apart on the entire campus and free beer all day to students and professors. And you can drink in class!

They've since lost that blue ribbon, which now goes to...

5. Auburn
4. Alabama
3. Florida State
2. University of Iowa
1. Notre Dame

Beer has got to be the second nastiest drink on the planet. Cheap wine takes the blue ribbon by far. Which tastes like shoe polish.

I'm not a coffee drinker either. Though I like the smell of it and dunking biscuits in it. Yum! I prefer hot cocoa. Every job I've had provided me with hot cocoa with freeze-dried marshmallows, and the secretaries would scream at the others for drinking my cocoa. LOL

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Theemile   » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:32 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
I'm not a coffee drinker either. Though I like the smell of it and dunking biscuits in it. Yum! I prefer hot cocoa. Every job I've had provided me with hot cocoa with freeze-dried marshmallows, and the secretaries would scream at the others for drinking my cocoa. LOL

You'd love the place I'm currently consulting with - every floor has their own massive Nespresso machine, which makes delicious hot cholocate (sorry - no marshmellows). It's the industrial one, where you just press the button and insert your cup for frothey goodness. I guess you coffee loves would probably like it too.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:19 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Coffee, Vegimite or the other goopy dark hot drinks are disgusting. I don't drink beer either, Gin is okay, Ballantines Finest is preferred. Wine gives me heart burn. Champaign is gross. Tea iced yes hot soso. The best thing to drink is Rhubarb juice, sweetened, unsweetened is brutal. Cider, alcoholic, if there is no Ballantines Finest. Mountain Dew.
Post by cthia   » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:18 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

robert132 wrote:

Slice off a piece??? LOL

That is not coffee, that is residue from some kind of a refining process. LOL

Another thing. Coffee drinkers make it worst by drinking the stuff without benefit of sugar or cream. Yuck.

I will have a cup once or maybe even twice a year, if it's a leap year. LOL But it must be coffee with my sugar, and a shot of milk.

Post by cthia   » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:31 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:Coffee, Vegimite or the other goopy dark hot drinks are disgusting. I don't drink beer either, Gin is okay, Ballantines Finest is preferred. Wine gives me heart burn. Champaign is gross. Tea iced yes hot soso. The best thing to drink is Rhubarb juice, sweetened, unsweetened is brutal. Cider, alcoholic, if there is no Ballantines Finest. Mountain Dew.

LOL

I'm partial to Welch's grape juice. I probably keep an illegal supply of the stuff on hand. I think that is why kids love my fridge. Hey, if it's good enough to stand in for the blood of Jesus at Communion, then it must be good stuff. LOL

Apple juice, prune juice, cranberry juice, tomato juice (real tomato juice and not that V8 crap. V8s are for engines, not glasses), pomegranate juice and all of the others I keep a handy inventory.

I like good brewed tea, but it acts too much like a diuretic. A big glass of tea and I'm running all day.

But at the end of the day, there's nothing like a good cold glass of bottled or well water.

BTW, I'm a Mountain Dew man as well. I think I almost overdosed on the stuff in the 90's when they introduced the Big Slams. They were huge litre bottles of the Mountain's Dewiness.

I once told a gf that I wish she could pee Mountain Dew. She said to me "I think you got that covered yourself."

Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:25 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Slice off a piece??? LOL

That is not coffee, that is residue from some kind of a refining process. LOL

If it is brown, semi-liquid and in a coffee pot, a soldier, sailor, Marine, or airman will drink it.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by saber964   » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:37 pm

saber964
Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:Coffee, Vegimite or the other goopy dark hot drinks are disgusting. I don't drink beer either, Gin is okay, Ballantines Finest is preferred. Wine gives me heart burn. Champaign is gross. Tea iced yes hot soso. The best thing to drink is Rhubarb juice, sweetened, unsweetened is brutal. Cider, alcoholic, if there is no Ballantines Finest. Mountain Dew.

God Vegimite, are you kidding that crap is disgusting. Had it once in Australia and wanted to barf.

Return to Honorverse