Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

American Civil War fought in the space future

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: American Civil War fought in the space future
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:53 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

So I got figure out how Southern USA States gathered enough wealth to Colonize,

LW[/quote]

No, what you have to figure out is why exactly a society would choose to explicitly model itself on a society that failed as hard as the antebellum south did.[/quote]

It does seem odd that there are some who not only want to refuse to learn the lessons of history but to glamorize the attitudes which fostered the secession and civil war.
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by lwhitehead   » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:24 am

lwhitehead
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Well this is a Space Opera Military science fiction, so the Ark that founded this Kingdom was full of Canadians, British and USA Southerners.

Um I got to figure some stuff out,

LW
Post by Daryl   » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:23 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

lwhitehead wrote:Well this is a Space Opera Military science fiction, so the Ark that founded this Kingdom was full of Canadians, British and USA Southerners.

Um I got to figure some stuff out,

LW

Why would liberal societies like Canada and the UK want to ally with Confederates?
Also, I apologize for rementioning the point of literacy. A person could have a concept of the best house design ever, but without building skills will never be able to build it.
You have over the years mentioned a number of story scenarios, but don't persist with them, and from your posts appear to lack basic writing skills. Do courses, learn how to write, then buckle down and work, not play.
Post by Dilandu   » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:13 am

Dilandu
Admiral

lwhitehead wrote:Well I'm not a fan of Joss Weadons work,

Anyways I know that Colonization would cost alot of money, even when Earth is overpopulated and run down at the time, the latest Mass Effect game taught me that at least.

So I got figure out how Southern USA States gathered enough wealth to Colonize,

LW

It is impossible to reduce population stress by colonization. Simply speaking, you need to threw several hundred thousand peoples off Earth PER DAY. Unless you have Stargate-like device, this is just plainly impossible (it may be remotely possible if the designation is very close - like, Moon or Lagrange point space colonies - and you could deal with minimal travel time and minimal comfort. I.e. Gundam-type scenario)

More reasonable to assume, that colonization efforts would be launched by those, who disagree with strict limitations, imposed by overpopulation (birth rate control, rigid water and energy rationing). They would put their prrsonal resources into the colonization efforts. I doubt that this would be enough, but there probably would be enough large mega-corporations, willing to support colonization efforts in exchange for the control over colonial return trade.

P.S. Must point out: the ONLY economical reason to colonize extra-solar planet is to extract biogenical resources from biosphere. I.e. the main colonial products, send back to Earth, would be exotic spices, pharmaceutics, furs, pets, ect. Simply speaking, ONLY unique resources that you could find ONLY on planet (not just dig in Solar asteroid belt or synthesize from Titan's organic seas), is the resources that biosphere of the planet uin question could provide.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Dilandu   » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:24 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Daryl wrote:Why would liberal societies like Canada and the UK want to ally with Confederates?

Simple. Because Confederates may be cheap solution.

Let's assume that UK-Canadian megacorporation wanted to claim a newly-discovered planet and use her resources for profit. As I mentioned above, the only planetary resources that make economical sense to search are the resources, produced by planetary biosphere. Exotic spices, perfumes, pharmaceutical raw materials, furs and animal skins, exotic pets...

Problem is, that it took REALLY BIG EFFORTS to figure out what we could practically use from said biosphere. Just look at the Earth biosphere - there are millions of species, and new species are still found from time to time! To explore and make use of the biosphere of alien planet, you need thousands of scientists, explorers, biologists, working here for decades.

Those peoples, of course, need to be supplied with food, goods and other stuff. Because space travels are costly (VERY COSTLY!!!), it is much simpler to produce all this locally, on the said planet. And for that, you need a workforce. A workforce, who would be willing to live on this new world without returning (because it is costly to haul them back to Earth!)

So, our UK-Canadian megacorp contacted the bunch of idealistic Southerners, and make them a proposal: the Corporation qould help them to move on a new planet, and they would work here as farmers, workers, hunters, ect., supporting the corporation planetary exploration efforts. A deal was made.

Post by lwhitehead   » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:32 pm

lwhitehead
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Specially when one traveling to another Galaxy, Now one of the problems I'm having is FTL what type.

These Arks are in the Past, when these Terran Colonies became Kingdoms/Empires in Space

Sol Confederacy are the Terrans that stayed in the Milky Way Galaxy,

Now before the Arks left Sol Confederacy had about 6 to 12 Colonies in Space, These people from Earth have bin Uplifted but with limited or no contact advanced Alien Races, Alien Races yes but not Advanced then the Humans.

That's why in Andromeda Galaxy there are Sepoy Races in the Armed forces,

LW
Post by Dilandu   » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:37 am

Dilandu
Admiral

lwhitehead wrote:Specially when one traveling to another Galaxy, Now one of the problems I'm having is FTL what type.

These Arks are in the Past, when these Terran Colonies became Kingdoms/Empires in Space

Sol Confederacy are the Terrans that stayed in the Milky Way Galaxy,

Now before the Arks left Sol Confederacy had about 6 to 12 Colonies in Space, These people from Earth have bin Uplifted but with limited or no contact advanced Alien Races, Alien Races yes but not Advanced then the Humans.

LW

For what reason they even put colonies in Andromeda? You seems to not understood the real scale. The Milky Way is HUGE. And intergalactic distances are even bigger. It would take pobably millenias - even with FTL - to just roughly explore the Milky Way.

Post by Dilandu   » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:43 am

Dilandu
Admiral

lwhitehead wrote:

LW

This make no sense. For what possible reason they might need something like that? Space warfare isn't very demanding in therms of manpower; the crews of spaceships woukd probably be prett small. And using the alien Sepoy in planetary warfare... just sensless. They are aliens. They hardly could live in environment, suitable for humans. They haave very little clue, how to operate in human-friendly environment.

Post by pappilon   » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:47 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Not a writer, just a poor excuse for a poet. But I write my thoughts down randomly, live streamed. then I organize the thoughts and finally choose the form, THEN do I even begin to create.

Sounds like you're going all ad hoc with the writing before the creativity is even engaged, working out the problems while writing instead of working them out in your head before putting quill to parchment.

What method of propulsion did they use? Who even cares. All that other stuff? we still don't care. WE CARE about compelling conflicts between interesting characters; or even better a complex character dealing with internal conflicts.

What is your THEME? What is your plot line? We can't help you with that, this YOUR story, after all.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:17 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

"WE CARE about compelling conflicts between interesting characters; or even better a complex character dealing with internal conflicts."

Well stated! I just finished a book that made me think I would find better use of my time watching paint dry and doubt that I will be looking for more of that authors work even though some of the characters were interesting, the story was more complex than the characters. Theme and plot line keep the compelling characters on center stage.

Personally, I wonder why we need to go to the Andromeda Galaxy with the last remnants of "The south shall rise again" even if you want to give Robert E Lee a light saber that he does not have to surrender when his army lost.

But... hey, I have been wrong before

pappilon wrote:Not a writer, just a poor excuse for a poet. But I write my thoughts down randomly, live streamed. then I organize the thoughts and finally choose the form, THEN do I even begin to create.

Sounds like you're going all ad hoc with the writing before the creativity is even engaged, working out the problems while writing instead of working them out in your head before putting quill to parchment.

What method of propulsion did they use? Who even cares. All that other stuff? we still don't care. WE CARE about compelling conflicts between interesting characters; or even better a complex character dealing with internal conflicts.

What is your THEME? What is your plot line? We can't help you with that, this YOUR story, after all.
Just my 2 ₡ worth

Return to Free-Range Topics...