Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Battletech

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Battletech
Post by Lord Skimper   » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:31 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Maybe you should post these new specs i don't have your revised edition.

Torso armour is mixed up with Arm armour.
Post by The E   » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:07 pm

The E
Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:Maybe you should post these new specs i don't have your revised edition.

Torso armour is mixed up with Arm armour.

Well, then first, I would recommend you make sure you actually have the errata'ed versions of any design before you try to fix it.

Second, the armor layout is:

Location Internal:Armor(rear armor)
H 3:9
CT 31:42(19)
RT/LT 21:31(11)
RA/LA 17:29
RL/LL 21:38
Post by MAD-4A   » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:06 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Lord Skimper wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote:Inner Sphere
LRM's

Who is ever going to pick a LRM 10 Over 2 x LRM 5's?

Why would anyone ever use a LRM 20?
While, yes I am a major advocate for the LRM-5 over any other (the reason for this is the guys who made up the original stats - for some unfathomable reason - made LRMs .5tn per tube and then rounded the 5 & 15 down instead of leaving them at the proper 2.5 and 7.5tn respectively.) Still, there are some major uses for the LRM-20, for instance the enhanced Thunder LRM. it produces a 7 hex area of Thunders at a reduced amount, meaning that the LRM-5 produces a 7-hex 0 point field - with no effect - making them useless in these launchers. a pair of LRM-20s can cover a very large area with only a few salvos.
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by MAD-4A   » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:16 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Lord Skimper wrote:I've noticed that a bunch of the official 3050 designs like the Berserker and Grand Titan don't work. The Berserker needs 62 criticals, the Grand Titan 55.

Grand Titan fix is a bit more complicated You lose the Small pulse lasers (rear) both and the One Shot Streak SRM2 both. Endo Steel becomes standard You need to add left and right torso CASE.
They come out fine in HMP, Yes, they both have room for 16DHS and the Bzk has a reduced LA
Last edited by MAD-4A on Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by MAD-4A   » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:17 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Lord Skimper wrote:Did anyone else ever play the Cresent Hawks inception? Or adapt the Traveler rules in a Battle Tech environment? Playing the Character / Pilot beyond the Mech. (on paper or Computer)

Traveler rules work really good for outside Mech or in space combat. Some of the Star Wars or Gamma world also sort of work or even D'nD.

never thought of that, I created my own enhanced version of MW.
-
Post by MAD-4A   » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:26 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Lord Skimper wrote:The Behemoth can be an Inner sphere design.

100 ton Standard Chassis 10 tons
200 Standard engine 8.5 tons
2 jump jets 4 tons 4 criticals
Triple Strength Myomer 6 criticals
2/3/2
3/5/2
2 Gyros
3 Cockpit
12/24 Double heat sinks 2 tons 12 criticals
19 Standard Armour 304
2 ER Lasers 10 tons 4 criticals
2 Gauss Rifles 30 tons 14 criticals arm mounted no hand actuators
6 tons of Gauss Ammo (48) 6 criticals
2 Medium Pulse Laser 4 tons 2 criticals
Guardian ECM Suite 1.5 tons 2 criticals
100 tons 49 criticals

Well, not really, it lacks the LPLs which are part of its long range fire power as well. More of a slow Pillager variant (or maybe an Annihilator mod)
-
Post by Tenshinai   » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:51 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:Did anyone else ever play the Cresent Hawks inception? Or adapt the Traveler rules in a Battle Tech environment? Playing the Character / Pilot beyond the Mech. (on paper or Computer)

Traveler rules work really good for outside Mech or in space combat. Some of the Star Wars or Gamma world also sort of work or even D'nD.

Yup, took a heck of a time to figure out how to win it.

Also first PC game i learned how to mod. Was lots of fun playing around with the mechs, as while no mech included used it, the game code still included the PPC, all LRMs, all ACs and the Flamer, just waiting to be modded in.
Could mod the weapons as well if wanted.

Never used the Traveler rules. And playing outside mechs? Oh yes, VERY much YES.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:02 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Tenshinai wrote:

Yup, took a heck of a time to figure out how to win it.

Also first PC game i learned how to mod. Was lots of fun playing around with the mechs, as while no mech included used it, the game code still included the PPC, all LRMs, all ACs and the Flamer, just waiting to be modded in.
Could mod the weapons as well if wanted.

Never used the Traveler rules. And playing outside mechs? Oh yes, VERY much YES.

For on ship in person character play DND or MA (Metamorphaisis Alpha, later became Gamma World) on Paper. On Computer pick your FPS.
Post by MAD-4A   » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:18 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Lord Skimper wrote:For on ship in person character play DND or MA (Metamorphaisis Alpha, later became Gamma World) on Paper. On Computer pick your FPS.

D&D, which one? I play 2nd ed and 3rd (or derivatives 3.5-PF etc...) When they put out all those handbooks I really liked them, particularly the Fighters and Clerics HB. but after bying thme they put out 3rd ed and suddenly those HB were useless (oh you can't use those anymore :x ) but I looked at the new suff, OK they made it simpler for idiots who cant subtract... fine and I liked the dropping of class restrictions (stupid to begin with - like I learn to swing a sword so I can't learn to hid in a shadow, unless I'm human but if I learn how to sneak around a little I can't learn to be any better with my sword anymore) - anyway (off soapbox) - I started collecting 3-3.5 then they bring out 4th (which was even worse than the original!!!) and I can't use any of the books I just spent money on!!! :x :x - screw that - I said no more - so I'm 1-3.5 only.

I played Gamma World, it's ok

Space Master/Cyberspace is/are nice simple and quick rules (basically the same - with some humor)

But I like Palladium - the trans-dimensional aspect allows you to pick up any genre and mix and match.
A few things I don't like:
The Melee length - 15 seconds - that's and eternity in combat - I shorten it to a 5 second melee with some changes...
The Attacks-Per-Melee - with the standard rules, if both opponents don't have the same number its completely unbalanced (ex. I have 6 ApM you have 4 so if I win init I get to attack you 4 times - you can attack me back - and get shot to pieces or dodge 4 times - either way you run out of attacks and I get 2 free shots at you ... you win init and get 4 shots at me - which I dodge and then get 2 free shots at you. revised rules allow you to steal actions from the next turn but that's just BS - so on the first turn during my 2 free shots you steel 2 of your actions from next turn that leaves you with only 2 next turn so I get 4 free shots that you can't do anything about - except steel all of your actions from the next turn - so the next turn you have no actions - I get 6 free shots at you with you having the option to steel up to 4 actions from the next round to dodge 4 of them and we're back to me having 2 free shots that you can do nothing about - because your out of actions for the next round as-well - and you can't even attack me because you can only steel actions for defense not attacking)
I transfer these "actions" to an initiative bonus and each character gets 2 actions per 5 second melee, any dodge is declared first (taking 1 action unless you have auto-dodge) and rolled. any attacks against that character have to beat his dodge roll (just one dodge - diving behind the counter, spiraling your fighter/Mech - whatever) and anyone attacking has to compensate for that action. the rules claim that people can't dodge gunfire - dumb why? - of-course if a bullet leaves a gun barrel and your in it's flight path it's too late - but you can certainly dive sideways as fast as someone can swing their arm in your direction - dodging is not moving out of the way of a projectile - it's removing yourself from the projected path before it moves through - so yes you can dodge gunfire - your just dodging the other characters planned aiming point. If a character doesn't dodge then he gets the auto 'dodge' value of 4 so a 5+ hits and a 4- misses.
The game goes much faster this way.
-
Post by The E   » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:36 pm

The E
Admiral

Or, OR, you could use the official MechWarrior RPG.

You know. Just a thought.

Return to Free-Range Topics...