Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], tlb and 49 guests

The Houseman Report

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
The Houseman Report
Post by cthia   » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:32 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

THE HOUSEMAN REPORT

The comprehensive economic study on a star system that never got published. It details a star system that could one day rise to a GSP second only to the wealth of the Manticoran Binary System. IF somehow the Graysons and Masadans could have found peace and worked together for the sake of common good, like Sphinx and Manticore.

Factoring in the incentives afforded by the use—at the very least, at dramatically reduced transit costs—of the MWJ as an Alliance member would eventually have a staggering effect upon Yeltsin's economy and the system's GSP.

Houseman threw himself into his work and his brilliance shone through. It is a masterfully crafted piece of number crunching, strategies and tactics to "grow" a system's revenue, health, trade and standing.

Can anyone see the crunched numbers like Houseman? I can imagine what Yeltsin's GSP would be with the incorporation of a friendly trading partner like the Masadans. And the impact that would have made upon the GSN with the incorporation of the Faithful?

Houseman is making a killing on the release of this report, because it is brilliant, and it is quickly becoming the bible, the go to book in many systems out in the Verge who may be looking for Manticoran help.

Two planet systems. Three planet systems. The Houseman Report details how to turn it from a fledgling system to a powerhouse in short order. This report has got gumption.

I often think of the possibilities. Grayson would have easily been able to accommodate the Alliance in the face of the High Ridge build down if they were twice as strong with Masada. I can hardly contemplate the size of the GSN then.

Can you imagine what might have been in the Houseman Report? What could have become of the Yeltsin System's health, economy and the GSN had it truly become a two-trick pony?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: The Houseman Report
Post by cthia   » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:35 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Can anyone recall the specific incentives offered to Grayson per use of the MWJ if they accepted a partnership with Manticore?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Gunny   » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:14 am

Gunny
Lieutenant Commander

Yes, kind of like the Middle East could do wonders if the Jews and Muslims stopped their thousand year old war and made eternal peace.
Post by Brigade XO   » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:59 am

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Someone didn't mention to Houseman that one of those two neigboring systems wants the other totaly subjugated or, failing that, devoid of all human life, as the result of a centuries old religious blood feud in which GOD has demanded the heretics be crushed or expunged. Hell, Mesada would burn Grayson lifeless before letting the heretics remain.

Sound like something we have seen on Earth recently? Where one side will except ONLY the death or total subjugation of the other and will say or do anything to accomplish that. They can die or we will grind them into the dust and piss on them while we hold them in the most abject slavery. And, it doesn't really matter if they "convert" and accept our devinely inspired vision of reality, they will always be at the bottom of every class structure and slaves to do with what we will.

Great man Mr. Houseman, his politics and theory must be praised. Perhaps he would like to immigrate to Masada and spend the rest of his (short) life explaing all this to the Masadans?
Post by Rednek731   » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:11 pm

Rednek731
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Houseman only sees things from an amateurish and naïve economic side of things without considering the cultural and/or religious side of things. He seems (at least to me) to be one of those guys who is so convinced of his own brilliance he doesn't feel the need even consider alternative solutions that weren't conceived by him alone or his "friends".
Post by John Prigent   » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:29 pm

John Prigent
Captain of the List

To be honest, Houseman reminds me of some highly-educated folk that I've had the misfortune to work beside. 'I have a degree, which proves that I have a brilliant mind. Don't pester me with actual facts.'

Cheers, JOhn
Post by ldwechsler   » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:28 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

John Prigent wrote:To be honest, Houseman reminds me of some highly-educated folk that I've had the misfortune to work beside. 'I have a degree, which proves that I have a brilliant mind. Don't pester me with actual facts.'

Cheers, JOhn

Elites often do things like that. They are quite willing to sacrifice the regular folk to their own interests. Take a look at Europe today.

Every time there is a terrorist attack, the elites worry about Islamophobia. Never seem to worry about people being killed and hurt.
Post by kzt   » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:32 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

John Prigent wrote:To be honest, Houseman reminds me of some highly-educated folk that I've had the misfortune to work beside. 'I have a degree, which proves that I have a brilliant mind. Don't pester me with actual facts.'

People with advanced degrees who are regarded as experts in their field often seem to feel this mysteriously translates to expertise in loosely related or even totally unrelated fields. No, being an expert in brain surgery does not mean you understand how to secure the internet connection better than the security engineer who has been doing this for 20 years, any more than his expertise qualifies him to evaluate your surgical procedures.
Post by Fireflair   » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:01 am

Fireflair
Captain of the List

This sort of expertise conferred by education is one of the pillars of friction in the military between officers and enlisted personnel. One that is increasingly problematic due to the growing high tech training military enlisted personnel receive. Officers get it drummed into them that they are better than the enlisted men, smarted, more trained, etc etc. That they are there to lead them and enlisted men aren't capable without that officer's leadership.

My experience is that Naval Academy graduates, or military schools like the Citadel, turn out the ones most likely to have this attitude, while ROTC programs produce it in much lesser, but varying degrees. Meanwhile mustangs generally are the easiest to work with and get the best support from their enlisted personnel.

And this may have been true a long time ago. Today's Navy, by example, requires a significantly qualified recruit for even the most basic tasks. Nuclear officers on submarines run into friction when they encounter their enlisted nuclear operators. People who are 2-4 years of service on the ship, highly educated and well trained. People who effectively have degrees in nuclear technology already, not to mention the experience in the field. These people regard officers as simply management. The officer's higher education and vaunted training is so much smoke blowing to them.

Like wise the special operators I've interacted with before retirement. Most of them, despite the gung ho chest pounding reputation, were intelligent, well educated and highly competent individuals. They might respect an officer and follow his guidance but they had short shift to give to any officer who thought he was better by virtue of simply being an officer.
Post by Annachie   » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:31 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Houseman's problem was that he saw the religious issues as petty little tribal squabbles that would be put aside as soon as people recognised the benifits of working together.

He had no concept of fanaticism, despite being a borderline fanatic himself.
Though to be fair, he isn't a religious one.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)

Return to Honorverse