Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 48 guests

United States Space Corps

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: United States Space Corps
Post by saber964   » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:59 pm

saber964
Admiral

Rincewind wrote:[uote="Fox2!"]
Granted. But when you start talking manned ships, especially large ones, you are starting to get into what is essentially the Navy's wheel house.
Especially the submarines.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

But it's USAFS George Hammond in Star Gate universe. It must be true.

And how many works of Stargate SG1 fan fiction have you read where it is proposed to hand over manning the USAFs starships to the US Navy.

Seriously, it makes more sense for long endurance ships to be manned by naval crews. Aside from the various skillsets in manning various systems; (does the USAF have any technicians qualified on running nuclear reactors?) Air Forces typically only think in endurance of missions in hours, 12 hours being about the max. Navies, however, are accustomed to thinking in terms of months. To my way of thinking that makes them a much better fit.[/quote]

Actually the USAF has done some very, very long missions. IIRC during the "Shock and Awe" of the Iraqi invasion (IIRC) 6 B-2's flew from Whiteman AFB Missouri to Baghdad Iraq and back in IIRC 23 hours.
Post by Rincewind   » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:23 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

saber964 wrote:
Rincewind wrote:And how many works of Stargate SG1 fan fiction have you read where it is proposed to hand over manning the USAFs starships to the US Navy.

Seriously, it makes more sense for long endurance ships to be manned by naval crews. Aside from the various skillsets in manning various systems; (does the USAF have any technicians qualified on running nuclear reactors?) Air Forces typically only think in endurance of missions in hours, 12 hours being about the max. Navies, however, are accustomed to thinking in terms of months. To my way of thinking that makes them a much better fit.

Actually the USAF has done some very, very long missions. IIRC during the "Shock and Awe" of the Iraqi invasion (IIRC) 6 B-2's flew from Whiteman AFB Missouri to Baghdad Iraq and back in IIRC 23 hours.

And you have just made my point perfectly. 23 hours as compared to the 166 days HMS Invincible spent continuously at sea during the Falklands War; (a record that has been comfortably beaten by several US Carriers subsequently, I believe although I do not have any details). Put another way that's 23 hours to 3,994 hours or a ratio of 1:173.65.

I repeat; Air Forces think in terms of hours, Navies think in terms of months.
Post by saber964   » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:52 pm

saber964
Admiral

Rincewind wrote:
saber964" [quote="Rincewind wrote:And how many works of Stargate SG1 fan fiction have you read where it is proposed to hand over manning the USAFs starships to the US Navy.

Seriously, it makes more sense for long endurance ships to be manned by naval crews. Aside from the various skillsets in manning various systems; (does the USAF have any technicians qualified on running nuclear reactors?) Air Forces typically only think in endurance of missions in hours, 12 hours being about the max. Navies, however, are accustomed to thinking in terms of months. To my way of thinking that makes them a much better fit.

And you have just made my point perfectly. 23 hours as compared to the 166 days HMS Invincible spent continuously at sea during the Falklands War; (a record that has been comfortably beaten by several US Carriers subsequently, I believe although I do not have any details). Put another way that's 23 hours to 3,994 hours or a ratio of 1:173.65.

I repeat; Air Forces think in terms of hours, Navies think in terms of months.[/quote]

Very true My ship spent 54 days at sea during Operation Desert Shield?Storm. Some US Carriers have been extended out for as much as 3 or 4 months on a standard six month deployment. IIRC When 9-11 happened the USS Eisenhower had spent 52 days at sea and was about to pull in to Diego Garcia and she immediately headed north and spent another 77 days at sea.
Post by Fox2!   » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:17 am

Fox2!
Commodore

Rincewind wrote:
Fox2! wrote:
But it's USAFS George Hammond in Star Gate universe. It must be true.

And how many works of Stargate SG1 fan fiction have you read where it is proposed to hand over manning the USAFs starships to the US Navy.

Star Gate Fanfic, like all fanfic, is not canon. The main military characters are US Air Force officers, not Navy, Army, Marines or even Coasties. The main Earth center of activity is an Air Force installation (side note: I spent several years at CMC in the late 70s/early 80s. Never saw the elevator down to sub level 26.).
Post by Rincewind   » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:54 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

Fox2! wrote:Star Gate Fanfic, like all fanfic, is not canon. The main military characters are US Air Force officers, not Navy, Army, Marines or even Coasties. The main Earth center of activity is an Air Force installation (side note: I spent several years at CMC in the late 70s/early 80s. Never saw the elevator down to sub level 26.).

I know it's not canon but I used that example because several of the Fanfics I have read actually argue the case pretty effectively; (Over the Horizon edited by Glenfiddich12 on Fanfiction.net is a good example).
Post by Theemile   » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:29 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Rincewind wrote:
Fox2! wrote:Star Gate Fanfic, like all fanfic, is not canon. The main military characters are US Air Force officers, not Navy, Army, Marines or even Coasties. The main Earth center of activity is an Air Force installation (side note: I spent several years at CMC in the late 70s/early 80s. Never saw the elevator down to sub level 26.).

I know it's not canon but I used that example because several of the Fanfics I have read actually argue the case pretty effectively; (Over the Horizon edited by Glenfiddich12 on Fanfiction.net is a good example).

Personally, I stay away from all non-approved fanfic for this very reason - over time it is very easy for readers to blend cannon elements and non-cannon elements of a story. Very few fanfic writers stay strictly inside the lines of the original writers when spinning their yarns, and stories often quickly spiral out of what was defined in the series - or end up with a shooting match between the BattleStar Galactica and the Executor SSD, while Kirk and Picard sit on the side taking notes and arguing about who would be the winner in a wrestling/poetry contest.

If Honorverse Fanfic was allowed, I would hate to see how much the range (and damage) of a Grav Lance would change between 1901 and 1922pd, and how small it would be (Grav lance pistol, anyone?). Oh, and how many Frigates the Medusians would build and crew at Basilisk (complete with battle armored Medusian marines) during the 2nd Havenite war.

just saying....
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by drothgery   » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:03 am

drothgery
Admiral

Theemile wrote:If Honorverse Fanfic was allowed, I would hate to see how much the range (and damage) of a Grav Lance would change between 1901 and 1922pd, and how small it would be (Grav lance pistol, anyone?).

Hey, the least plausible thing I did was putting SLNS First Podnought in space in 1927 PD ...
Post by robert132   » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:04 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

drothgery wrote:
Theemile wrote:If Honorverse Fanfic was allowed, I would hate to see how much the range (and damage) of a Grav Lance would change between 1901 and 1922pd, and how small it would be (Grav lance pistol, anyone?).

Hey, the least plausible thing I did was putting SLNS First Podnought in space in 1927 PD ...

Ummm, maybe not a Grav Lance pistol ... but how about a miniaturized Grav Lance WARHEAD mounted in a MK-23 (Apollo) missile body? A mix of these and "conventional" laserhead AND possibly contact warheads.

Of course Himself would want nothing to do with anything like the Weapon That Must Not Be Mentioned. Just a passing thought.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:01 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

robert132 wrote:
Ummm, maybe not a Grav Lance pistol ... but how about a miniaturized Grav Lance WARHEAD mounted in a MK-23 (Apollo) missile body? A mix of these and "conventional" laserhead AND possibly contact warheads.

Of course Himself would want nothing to do with anything like the Weapon That Must Not Be Mentioned. Just a passing thought.

And that is a thought that should have passed -- away.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Annachie   » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:01 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Thinking about it, if a Grav Lance could fit into one of those Graser torp bodies, the MALIGN might try to make use of them to attack space stations. Or even space forts.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)

Return to Honorverse