Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Ban transgender folks from military?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Ban transgender folks from military?
Post by The E   » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:24 am

The E
Admiral

Daryl wrote:What puzzles me is why? Why did he decide this without any consultation or planning? Was he convinced by one of his inner circle, or just had his own brain fart?
While this by itself is not a totally over the top serious issue(unless you or your family are among the 15k affected) it does signal quite impulsive decision making. I'm wondering if I shouldn't start thinking like a prepper.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/2 ... nes-240990
Post by Annachie   » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:46 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

We already are looking at prepping.
Hell got a years worth of breakfast cereal and around 200 cans of Baked Beans :)

Aparently, the "Tremendous cost" is about the cost of one Presidential trip to Mara Lago.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by gcomeau   » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:42 am

gcomeau
Admiral

Daryl wrote:What puzzles me is why? Why did he decide this without any consultation or planning? Was he convinced by one of his inner circle, or just had his own brain fart?
While this by itself is not a totally over the top serious issue(unless you or your family are among the 15k affected) it does signal quite impulsive decision making. I'm wondering if I shouldn't start thinking like a prepper.

Yeah all reports so far are it was part "hey I'll bash the Transgenders if you give me wall money" and probably also part "my very conservative base is getting upset I keep verbally assaulting Sessions for no good reason because they like him, maybe they'll like some good old fashioned homo/transphobic red meat!"

His claim he discussed it with "his Generals" is clearly full of shit given it took the Pentagon completely by surprise. I'm betting he didn't clear it with Mattis first either (who is on vacation). He just shot his mouth off on impulse, as always. And now we all get to deal with the chaos fallout until people sort out what the hell they're supposed to do if anything about a Presidential Tweet while thousands of openly Trans currently serving military personnel are wondering what the hell is going to happen to them.
Post by gcomeau   » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:45 am

gcomeau
Admiral

Eyal wrote:This experiment has in fact been done. There are a number of NATO (and other) militaries which allow transgender soldiers to serve - I think Canada, for example, has allowed that since the late 90s. How is their experience?

Pretty sure they're doing just fine, considering the Canadian Armed Forces Twitter account was trolling Trump within hours of his tweet... :lol:

https://twitter.com/CanadianForces/stat ... 9573600256
Post by dscott8   » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:44 pm

dscott8
Commodore

Annachie wrote:An informed opinion.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lanesainty/cat ... #.qdZxAmyo

The medical cost issue is bogus, pure sophistry to sidetrack people from the main issue, which is the rights of transgender citizens.
Post by gcomeau   » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:55 am

gcomeau
Admiral

gcomeau wrote:Yeah all reports so far are it was part "hey I'll bash the Transgenders if you give me wall money" and probably also part "my very conservative base is getting upset I keep verbally assaulting Sessions for no good reason because they like him, maybe they'll like some good old fashioned homo/transphobic red meat!"

His claim he discussed it with "his Generals" is clearly full of shit given it took the Pentagon completely by surprise. I'm betting he didn't clear it with Mattis first either (who is on vacation).

Well apparently he gave Mattis one whole days notice he was going to lob a grenade into the organization of the military, and Mattis was "appalled" according to reports.
Post by dscott8   » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:01 am

dscott8
Commodore

gcomeau wrote:Well apparently he gave Mattis one whole days notice he was going to lob a grenade into the organization of the military, and Mattis was "appalled" according to reports.

An important reminder that Twitter is not part of the process for establishing policy. I suspect that Trump uses it to float trial balloons, hoping to gauge the reaction before he does anything official. He certainly has no problem with backpedaling away from an informally stated position, and no regard for any pain and problems he may have caused in the process.
Post by Annachie   » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:28 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

And it just gets worse.

If you assume that the ban will also involve the discharge of current serving members who are trans, then work out the cost to recruit and train replacement personnel, you end up with the ban costing 100 times what it is supposed to save.

Granted that's effectively a one off cost as opposed to the yearly cost that transgender military personnel represent.

But damn.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by dscott8   » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:00 pm

dscott8
Commodore

Annachie wrote:And it just gets worse.

If you assume that the ban will also involve the discharge of current serving members who are trans, then work out the cost to recruit and train replacement personnel, you end up with the ban costing 100 times what it is supposed to save.

Granted that's effectively a one off cost as opposed to the yearly cost that transgender military personnel represent.

But damn.

Trump knows this will not become official policy. He was just throwing his pack of dogs some red meat.
Post by biochem   » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:44 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

Daryl wrote:What puzzles me is why? Why did he decide this without any consultation or planning? Was he convinced by one of his inner circle, or just had his own brain fart.

It's never been one of his things. Likely it's coming from someone else.

Return to Politics