Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 39 guests

'Uncompromising Honor' Wish List: Characters Edition

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: 'Uncompromising Honor' Wish List: Characters Edition
Post by cthia   » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:01 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

robert132 wrote:
PeterZ wrote:Didn't think we disagreed as much as interpreted "panache and style" differently. Those terms had me thinking of her handling of that coward Houseman. THAT truly was handled with panache and style. Even left the worthless sod breathing to boot!

Combining my understanding of your panache and style with her mental skills and she becomes an adamant one fist in a beautifully thin velvet glove neither of her monarchs would leave in their closet.

Absolutely!

Well...

Depending on the particular incident, this small nit I shall pick. At the dinner table during the discussions on how to handle Masada when he kept interrupting, she handled with panache and style.

Later, when she reverted to polishing her boot up his orifice, panache was abandoned for a more clearer and concise method of communication.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:30 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

My dear Cthia, eloquent whit is but a tithe of panache and style.practiced with her ladyship's genuis. Panache is also the elan of of a straight right into the nose of a superior who refuses to do his duty. Style is thrashing the diplomatic mission chief and emphasizing one's monarch's true intent with regards to the star nation hosting the mission.

How many birds did Honor's stone bag by thumping his sorry ass? She got his useless butt out of policy formulation. She confirmed to Grayson that these Manticoran "children" truly understood adult priorities and adult honor. That ladies or gentlemen, these people would make allies fit to have one's traditional bound back.

Yup, quite the degree of panache and style. Panache; flamboyant flair with an air of reckless courage. Style; the distinctive manner with which one performs tasks.
Post by robert132   » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:51 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

PeterZ wrote:My dear Cthia, eloquent whit is but a tithe of panache and style.practiced with her ladyship's genuis. Panache is also the elan of of a straight right into the nose of a superior who refuses to do his duty. Style is thrashing the diplomatic mission chief and emphasizing one's monarch's true intent with regards to the star nation hosting the mission.

How many birds did Honor's stone bag by thumping his sorry ass? She got his useless butt out of policy formulation. She confirmed to Grayson that these Manticoran "children" truly understood adult priorities and adult honor. That ladies or gentlemen, these people would make allies fit to have one's traditional bound back.

Yup, quite the degree of panache and style. Panache; flamboyant flair with an air of reckless courage. Style; the distinctive manner with which one performs tasks.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by cthia   » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:25 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

robert132 wrote:
PeterZ wrote:My dear Cthia, eloquent whit is but a tithe of panache and style.practiced with her ladyship's genuis. Panache is also the elan of of a straight right into the nose of a superior who refuses to do his duty. Style is thrashing the diplomatic mission chief and emphasizing one's monarch's true intent with regards to the star nation hosting the mission.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)

Indeed. She did wear many hats. I fold. :D

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:43 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
AT ODDS

Here's something to chew on. I'd like to see RFC tackle another story of forbidden love, as I so thoroughly enjoyed the one he presented us with in Eloise and Javier. (ode to rose)

What do you all think of Protector Benjamin taking on an additional wife, after helplessly falling in love with a woman that doesn't exactly gel with the other wives - yet, love is love. Catfight!

Is there anything preventing Protector Benjamin from taking on Abby as a wife?

Is there anything preventing Steadholder Hearns from marrying Rachel Mayhew and the possible ensuing tension between Abigail and Rachel?

Is there anything preventing Benjamin from taking on a bonded wife from the Star Empire, causing animosity between the Grayson wives and the foreign wife who is bonded—which places her cat and the Mayhews' cats in a very peculiar predicament—at odds.

<What do we do? We've never been confused regarding allegiance>

<This is some of that two-leg weirdness called a domestic dispute. We should stay out of it>

What a pickle.
thanatos wrote:Treecats would never be at odds in such a way. Such a situation would be akin to a treecat joining the clan of its spouse and being forced to contend with disapproval. Yet time and again, RFC has written that on such issues, the "People" have devised social norms that preclude such behavior that could potentially damage relationships within the clan or that could cause a clan to get whipped up in a dangerous murderous frenzy. Moreover, the treecats are known to chastise their respective humans for sulking and whining, and to serve as a stabilizing influence over them. The real downsides are where relationships with other humans are concerned, i.e. when a human always knows there is one creature in the universe that loves them unreservedly and is completely trustworthy, they are loathe to risk the heartache involved in romantic relationships. "Especially lovers, with their bottomless capacity to hurt them." (-- The Short Victorious War). So trying to force a relationship like that into the Mayhew household artificially would strain credulity.

And I noticed that none of the idea you proposed here involved Honor directly (or even indirectly). As I said before, there is no where upward for the character to rise to personally. Everything from here on out can only be the characters around her or supporting characters that are elevated to main characters - Like Rafael Cardones and Ginger Lewis.

I would tend to agree with you at a time prior to keeping company with two-legs—the quintessential source for instigating domestic disputes. Treecats are probably still learning to parse human ways. And they do disagree with each other and their disagreement oftentimes takes time to work out through discussion. The kind of disagreements that can be humanly contrived and fueled may catch them off balance "on the spot."

Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:36 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

What do you all think of Protector Benjamin taking on an additional wife, after helplessly falling in love with a woman that doesn't exactly gel with the other wives - yet, love is love. Catfight!

Is there anything preventing Protector Benjamin from taking on Abby as a wife?

Is there anything preventing Steadholder Hearns from marrying Rachel Mayhew and the possible ensuing tension between Abigail and Rachel?

Is there anything preventing Benjamin from taking on a bonded wife from the Star Empire, causing animosity between the Grayson wives and the foreign wife who is bonded—which places her cat and the Mayhews' cats in a very peculiar predicament—at odds.

<What do we do? We've never been confused regarding allegiance>

<This is some of that two-leg weirdness called a domestic dispute. We should stay out of it>

Talk about Benjamin acting peculiarly. He is too old for Abigail and I would guess her father is strong enough to allow him to really push. It would do more damage to him than anything else.

As for someone bonded, etc., the whole thing is a bit foolish. One of the things that has been alluded to is that the old wives have more than a bit of a veto.

Why not suggest Benjamin fall in love with a treecat? He is now getting on in years. Why ask for trouble?
Post by cthia   » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:25 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Hope this falls within rose's wishes for the thread.

It'd be nice to see more of Honor's Steading make successes out of the benefit of having a more modern, forward thinking Steadholder. There are supposed to be advantages to having Honor as a Steadholder and being a part of that Steading.

IOW, I'd like Honor's steading to showcase why the Mayhew Restoration is all good. Shedding more light and proof positive on the soundness of the Mayhew Restoration for the smallest man, or woman, in Grayson's streets.

Was the Harrington Steading mostly women?

Post by lyonheart   » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:37 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Cthia,

Please, there are obviously a million potential plots in the honorverse, but only one RFC, who will be 65 this year, so he doesn't have all that much time left to share the more important ones with us this side of mortality.

We're going to have to wait a while for the less important ones.

From the textev, there were and are lots of males who came to the Harrington Steading, if you would recall FIE for starters, or just check the books before bothering the forum with the appearance of trolling even if its a shortcut for your confused memory.

L

cthia wrote:Hope this falls within rose's wishes for the thread.

It'd be nice to see more of Honor's Steading make successes out of the benefit of having a more modern, forward thinking Steadholder. There are supposed to be advantages to having Honor as a Steadholder and being a part of that Steading.

IOW, I'd like Honor's steading to showcase why the Mayhew Restoration is all good. Shedding more light and proof positive on the soundness of the Mayhew Restoration for the smallest man, or woman, in Grayson's streets.

Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by cthia   » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:49 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hi Cthia,

Please, there are obviously a million potential plots in the honorverse, but only one RFC, who will be 65 this year, so he doesn't have all that much time left to share the more important ones with us this side of mortality.

From the textev, there were and are lots of males who came to the Harrington Steading, if you would recall FIE for starters, or just check the books before bothering the forum with the appearance of trolling even if its a shortcut for your confused memory.

L

I think the title of this thread is "Wish List."

If I'm correct, I think I'm entitled to mine.

It is NOT a thread to display our ill manners. Oh no, rose made her objectives, terms and conditions quite clear. And specific.

Nor is it a thread to wish (more loosely) that some of our forumites would grow up already. So I didn't. And I won't.

But I will take this opportunity to add you to my ignore list. Two is company, lest I also be charged for being inhumane. :roll:

Post by cthia   » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:22 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hi Cthia,

L

cthia wrote:I think the title of this thread is "Wish List."

If I'm correct, I think I'm entitled to mine.

It is NOT a thread to display our ill manners. Oh no, rose made her objectives, terms and conditions quite clear. And specific.

Nor is it a thread to wish (more loosely) that some of our forumites would grow up already. So I didn't. And I won't.

But I will take this opportunity to add you to my ignore list. Two is company, lest I also be charged for being inhumane. :roll:

And by the way Mr. Houseman. Textev does mention men going to Harrington Steading. In no way can we infer any percentages from that.

Return to Honorverse