Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests

United States Space Corps

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: United States Space Corps
Post by Annachie   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:52 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

In reality the navy is probably a better fit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by robert132   » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:01 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

dscott8 wrote:
Annachie wrote:The airforce are against it as they view space as theirs already.

Under the proposed measures, the Space Force would be part of, and report to, the Air Force in the same way the Marines come under the Navy (see note below). So it's not a turf issue for them. I think they see it as detracting from their primary mission in favor of a literal pie-in-the-sky program.

(NOTE: I know that Marines claim the Navy is just their taxi service, but the org chart says different.)

The Marines tend to get just a little cranky when you remind them that The Corps is a Corps of the Navy like the SeaBees are Battalions, part of a whole that's been kicking ass around the world for well over 225 years.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by Fox2!   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:09 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Henry Brown wrote:Does the United States even have a means of putting people into space after the retirement of the shuttle fleet? I know there are still rockets that can put satellites into orbit. But as far as I know, none of them have a personnel capability. Isn't it kind of silly to be talking about a Space Corps when we currently have no means of actually putting people into space?

The Manned Space Flight Mission hasn't been a major Air Force role since the demise of the Dynasoar and Manned Orbiting Laboratory (MOL) programs. Yes, there are Air Force personnel among the Astronauts, and providing support to NASA at JSC, and the Air Force owns both the Eastern and Western Test Ranges. There are many other space related missions carried out by the Air Force. Missile warning, space situational awareness, weather, navigation and timing, communications are all operated and managed by the Air Force.
Post by Fox2!   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:10 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Annachie wrote:In reality the navy is probably a better fit.

The Air Force has had primary responsibility for military space for 40 or 50 years.
Post by Theemile   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:18 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:

The Air Force has had primary responsibility for military space for 40 or 50 years.

You know it could simply be a scheme for congress to control where the money goes. If the Space Corp has it's own budget, like the Marine Corp, if will be more difficult for the Air Force to obscure line items and hide costs of space items in flight costs, and vice versa.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Annachie   » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:59 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:

Granted. But when you start talking manned ships, especially large ones, you are starting to get into what is essentially the Navy's wheel house.
Especially the submarines.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Fox2!   » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:22 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Granted. But when you start talking manned ships, especially large ones, you are starting to get into what is essentially the Navy's wheel house.

But it's USAFS George Hammond in Star Gate universe. It must be true.
Post by Brigade XO   » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:51 am

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:

Turf wars. More budget & funding.
Of course IF the Air Force already has the equivelint of a warship (not a fighter/fighter bomber analog) in space and the same for a variation on the Rangers, Seals or Marines, it would be interesting.

There is a new TV series, Salvation, that just started. And who, if anybody, would have a chance of dealing with the 5,376 meter in diameter rock that is -this time- going to take a pass at 18.5 Lunar Diameters distance on Sep 1st with a claculated 13.5km/sec velocity? Not a small rock.
Post by Fox2!   » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:25 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Brigade XO wrote:
Fox2! wrote:

Turf wars. More budget & funding.
Of course IF the Air Force already has the equivelint of a warship (not a fighter/fighter bomber analog) in space and the same for a variation on the Rangers, Seals or Marines, it would be interesting.

There is a new TV series, Salvation, that just started. And who, if anybody, would have a chance of dealing with the 5,376 meter in diameter rock that is -this time- going to take a pass at 18.5 Lunar Diameters distance on Sep 1st with a claculated 13.5km/sec velocity? Not a small rock.

IIRC, Hammond is the second generation battlecruiser, with Asgard technology built in, not just added on.
Post by Rincewind   » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:35 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

Fox2! wrote:

And how many works of Stargate SG1 fan fiction have you read where it is proposed to hand over manning the USAFs starships to the US Navy.

Seriously, it makes more sense for long endurance ships to be manned by naval crews. Aside from the various skillsets in manning various systems; (does the USAF have any technicians qualified on running nuclear reactors?) Air Forces typically only think in endurance of missions in hours, 12 hours being about the max. Navies, however, are accustomed to thinking in terms of months. To my way of thinking that makes them a much better fit.

Return to Honorverse