Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests

On DDM flight profiles

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
On DDM flight profiles
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:56 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

[Edit: RFC later said here that "Unfortunately, because of the nature of the "splitter plate" technology used in the current generation MDM, you can't set different acceleration rates on the sequenced drive nodes." so this whole post is moot for the moment.]

I had the random thought that I'd like to see the range vs time chart for a Mk16 DDM to see at what ranges each of the 4 possible flight profiles was best for minimal time to target.

The 4 profiles of course are whether each of the two drives is set to high or low: low/low, low/high, high/low, high/high (with the appropriate ballistic interval inserted as necessary).

I plotted out the time to range for each of these from 6 to 30 million km as can been seen here

Up to just under 8 million km high/high wins.
Between 8 and 22 million km high/low wins.
Past 22 million km low/low wins.

Low/high does edge past high/low past 28 million km, but by that point low/low has them both soundly beaten.
Last edited by Jonathan_S on Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: On DDM flight profiles
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:58 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Two things.
1) All these numbers are from rest.
2) I should probably extend this by doing the same for MDMs - but that's a much greater number crunching task as you've got 9 profiles vs 4 plus much more range to calculate over. (I'm ignoring degenerate profiles like putting a ballistic segment after the 1st drive instead of after the 2nd -- that'll always be lower performance so why bother to calculate)
Re: On DDM flight profiles
Post by cthia   » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:14 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:Two things.
1) All these numbers are from rest.
2) I should probably extend this by doing the same for MDMs - but that's a much greater number crunching task as you've got 9 profiles vs 4 plus much more range to calculate over. (I'm ignoring degenerate profiles like putting a ballistic segment after the 1st drive instead of after the 2nd -- that'll always be lower performance so why bother to calculate)

Good work! Interesting.

However, the notion of dismissing the degenerate profiles because of lower performance is not recommended. Murphy and circumstance could make the profile the only option in hopes of intercepting target, e.g., when timing the appearance of a target appearing from behind a moon. Lest we overshoot.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse