Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests

United States Space Corps

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
United States Space Corps
Post by dlewis0160   » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:15 pm

dlewis0160
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Do you think the US Space Corps uniform will look like a version of the Grayson Space Navy? 8-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Space_Corps
Re: United States Space Corps
Post by dscott8   » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:05 am

dscott8
Commodore

dlewis0160 wrote:Do you think the US Space Corps uniform will look like a version of the Grayson Space Navy? 8-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Space_Corps

I think it will be designed by whichever defense contractor has the best lobbyists.

It would not surprise me to see something really stupid, like camouflage space suits.
Post by dlewis0160   » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:20 am

dlewis0160
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

:shock: :lol:
Post by Tenshinai   » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:38 am

Tenshinai
Admiral

dscott8 wrote:
I think it will be designed by whichever defense contractor has the best lobbyists.

It would not surprise me to see something really stupid, like camouflage space suits.

Well duh, of course they must be camouflaged, because, uh, something something? :mrgreen:

One more way to sell things by creating a supply... ;)
Post by Henry Brown   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:30 am

Henry Brown
Commodore

Does the United States even have a means of putting people into space after the retirement of the shuttle fleet? I know there are still rockets that can put satellites into orbit. But as far as I know, none of them have a personnel capability. Isn't it kind of silly to be talking about a Space Corps when we currently have no means of actually putting people into space?
Post by dscott8   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:06 am

dscott8
Commodore

Henry Brown wrote:Does the United States even have a means of putting people into space after the retirement of the shuttle fleet? I know there are still rockets that can put satellites into orbit. But as far as I know, none of them have a personnel capability. Isn't it kind of silly to be talking about a Space Corps when we currently have no means of actually putting people into space?

Silly, yes, but it's politician talk. For the politicians, it has these purposes:

1. Create a huge new budget to keep the contractors fat & happy, with no expectation of immediate deliverables.

2. Whip up patriotic hoo-rah and accustom the public to the militarization of space exploration. This will provide an excuse to back out of cooperative space ventures like the International Space Station, furthering the current trend to isolationism.

3. Give the administration a "science card" to play, so they can claim they're "pro-science" even as they try to drive the teaching of evolution out of classrooms.

4. Provide glamorous bait for military recruiting, enlisting people on the baseless premise of going into space sometime soon.

Noteworthy (from Wikipedia):
This proposal is opposed by the U.S. Air Force, Air Force Space Command, and military leaders such as Secretary of Defense James Mattis, Secretary of the Air Force Heather Wilson, Chief of Staff of the Air Force General David L. Goldfein, and the current commander of Air Force Space Command General John W. Raymond. Other former military and space leaders in opposition to this effort include Secretary Sean O'Keefe, former Secretary of the Navy and NASA administrator; Lisa Disbrow, former Under Secretary of the Air Force; General Victor E. Renuart Jr., former commander of U.S. Northern Command and NORAD; and Lieutenant General Edward G. Anderson III, former deputy commander of U.S. Northern Command and NORAD
Post by Theemile   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:24 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Henry Brown wrote:Does the United States even have a means of putting people into space after the retirement of the shuttle fleet? I know there are still rockets that can put satellites into orbit. But as far as I know, none of them have a personnel capability. Isn't it kind of silly to be talking about a Space Corps when we currently have no means of actually putting people into space?

Unless the Air Force has something black that we don't know about. And there is a threat they know of that we don't. Possible, but improbable.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Annachie   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:01 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

The airforce are against it as they view space as theirs already.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Theemile   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:07 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:The airforce are against it as they view space as theirs already.

Of course, that would mean they have to bove their toys and playground to someone else.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by dscott8   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:14 pm

dscott8
Commodore

Annachie wrote:The airforce are against it as they view space as theirs already.

Under the proposed measures, the Space Force would be part of, and report to, the Air Force in the same way the Marines come under the Navy (see note below). So it's not a turf issue for them. I think they see it as detracting from their primary mission in favor of a literal pie-in-the-sky program.

(NOTE: I know that Marines claim the Navy is just their taxi service, but the org chart says different.)

Return to Honorverse