Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 33 guests

Names for new space stations -speculation

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Names for new space stations -speculation
Post by PeterZ   » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:52 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

I like Black Rock Clan as a name for the first SD commissioned after Oyster Bay. It's not a BC to protect the trade routes, or a cruisers to scout and protect shipping. No, Black Rock Clan will be a weapon of pure retribution to be used to crush the MAlign whenever it is rediscovered. The name of that SD is a treecat promise to properly deal with an enemy.
Post by saber964   » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:36 pm

saber964
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:I like Black Rock Clan as a name for the first SD commissioned after Oyster Bay. It's not a BC to protect the trade routes, or a cruisers to scout and protect shipping. No, Black Rock Clan will be a weapon of pure retribution to be used to crush the MAlign whenever it is rediscovered. The name of that SD is a treecat promise to properly deal with an enemy.

I proposed several ship names like that in other posts.

Clan class destroyers
HMS Bright Water
HMS Laughing River
HMS Bright Heart
HMS Damp Ground

Treecat class Superdreadnaught
HMS Treecat
HMS Hexapuma
HMS Stephanie Harrington
HMS Lionheart
HMS Queen Adrienne
HMS Dianchet
HMS Yawata Crossing
HMS Black Rock
Post by PeterZ   » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:52 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:
PeterZ wrote:I like Black Rock Clan as a name for the first SD commissioned after Oyster Bay. It's not a BC to protect the trade routes, or a cruisers to scout and protect shipping. No, Black Rock Clan will be a weapon of pure retribution to be used to crush the MAlign whenever it is rediscovered. The name of that SD is a treecat promise to properly deal with an enemy.

Clan class destroyers
HMS Bright Water
HMS Laughing River
HMS Bright Heart
HMS Damp Ground

HMS Treecat
HMS Hexapuma
HMS Stephanie Harrington
HMS Lionheart
HMS Queen Adrienne
HMS Dianchet
HMS Yawata Crossing
HMS Black Rock

I'd flip the ship classes except for Yawata Crossing & Black Rock's, but I like it! I think the clans are better names for SDs. The other names are BC and CA names. Names of those that serve other purposes than just destruction.
Post by robert132   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:23 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

saber964 wrote:

Clan class destroyers
HMS Bright Water
HMS Laughing River
HMS Bright Heart
HMS Damp Ground

HMS Treecat
HMS Hexapuma
HMS Stephanie Harrington
HMS Lionheart
HMS Queen Adrienne
HMS Dianchet
HMS Yawata Crossing
HMS Black Rock

An interesting selection of names though I'm sure you're already aware that HMS Hexapuma is already one of the RMNs' Names of Honor like HMS Fearless and HMS Nike.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by lyonheart   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:20 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Fallsfromtrees,

The only textev we have is that the each of the three lost is being replaced by a pair, so Gryphon should two new ones under construction as well.

Given the prescience of the admiral who was killed after ordering its evacuation, I've wondered about the other being named for him, as a probably adopted Gryphonite.

I like the suggested SD names, especially Black Rock Clan for the first, with a group of treecat observers aboard is a great idea.

Lionheart (despite the obvious misspelling ;) ), of course should be second. 8-)

It's probable nick name might be CQ, short for Climbs Quickly, not too confusing since the archaic old office runner I remember from the '70's army is now a couple thousand years in the past.

L

fallsfromtrees wrote:quote="kenl511"[quote="lyonheart"]Howdy all,

I think I've mentioned this before but don't recall or know what the forum consensus determined, not that RFC will ever take that into account. ;)

While I'm fairly confident that their predecessors will be memorialized, ie one of each new pair will be named #2 etc, the remaining three have tickled my wonder button.

I suspect or won't be surprised if the other in Manticore orbit is named Haven, to celebrate the peace and new relationship, even if they eventually get into another war [which could happen after this generation of leaders passes on], while Sphinx's second is named Beowulf, and Gryphon's is Grayson, for obvious reasons.

I don't think any will be named after individual persons, especially living ones, and those worthy would oppose commemorating themselves this way when so many unknown heroes were lost in OB.

Now there may be internal avenues or plaza's named after Pritchart, or HA-H, etc but not the whole space station, although probably lots of plaques commemorating the known lost heroes of OB.

Any counter-arguments or other suggestions?

All the very best wishes to all,

L/quote
I thought there to be only four stations, I don't remember reference to stations around Gryphon in ART. Am I Wrong?

Yes. The station around Gryphon was the one whose personnel survived due to the evacuation test that was running at the time if OB.[/quote]
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by cthia   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:39 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

It would be nice to once again give the salamander her do. Go on. Say it. It sounds good rolling off the conscience of the tongue. Salamander Station.

It isn't like we don't owe the Old Lady that and much more. If only for abandoning her when a certain creep and his shenanigans had his hooks in her and for allowing her to be banished from the navy a broken emotional shell of the finest tactician the RMN has ever seen.

It would be an enjoyable read to once again see Honor's modest bristling in the midst of much deserved recognition and praise.

Salamander Station - rest assured that she was built with all of the latest bells and whistles. She has the sort of teeth that can take a bite out of crime.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Lord Skimper   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:51 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Salamander Station, Revenge Station, Bane Station, Nemesis Station, Freedom Station, Arch Royal Station, Empire Station or you could name them for those who died in the attack that destroyed them.
Post by saber964   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:15 pm

saber964
Admiral

I selected clan name for destroyers because you would need a lot of names because of the number of destroyers being built. Take the Roland class, they're named for historical and fictional knights. Other destroyers have been named after types of musicians and musical forms.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:54 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:It would be nice to once again give the salamander her do. Go on. Say it. It sounds good rolling off the conscience of the tongue. Salamander Station.

It isn't like we don't owe the Old Lady that and much more. If only for abandoning her when a certain creep and his shenanigans had his hooks in her and for allowing her to be banished from the navy a broken emotional shell of the finest tactician the RMN has ever seen.

It would be an enjoyable read to once again see Honor's modest bristling in the midst of much deserved recognition and praise.

Salamander Station - rest assured that she was built with all of the latest bells and whistles. She has the sort of teeth that can take a bite out of crime.

If Honor was annoyed when they named the class of SDS after her, she will go absolutely ballistic at calling one of them Salamander Station.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by cthia   » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:15 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:
cthia wrote:It would be nice to once again give the salamander her do. Go on. Say it. It sounds good rolling off the conscience of the tongue. Salamander Station.

If Honor was annoyed when they named the class of SDS after her, she will go absolutely ballistic at calling one of them Salamander Station.

Indeed she will, but it has never stopped us before from giving her her just desserts in the midst of her modest demurs.

History will say that the much deserved statue on Grayson, the Harrington Class SDs and Salamander Station were all enjoyed after the "plot" settled. Honor's very own Triple Ripple. LOL

She, and we, can live with it when things go this bad for her.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse